Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Hubby left freezer door cracked open overnight :(

My husband has a bad habit of not pushing the freezer door to make sure its closed, it will not close on it's own unless you push it hard enough. Anyway, sure enough, got up this morning and it was open a good 3 inches or more. Everything in the door was thawed and some things on the top shelf as well. I threw out my frozen veggies b/c they were soft, chicken nuggets and some frozen meals. I went ahead and threw my chicken out as well just in case. My question is, I had frozen pancakes & waffles in the door that thawed completely. They were still cold like if they were in the fridge. Are they safe to re freeze? Thanks!

Default Re: Hubby left freezer door cracked open overnight :(

As far as I know, you shouldn't re freeze thawed food. It's such a pain when that happens, I've done it before myself, very annoying. Can you guys eat the pancakes and waffles over the next 24 hours so they don't go to waste?

No don't re freeze them, it should say on the packet that u shouldn't re freeze once their defrosted
    you can't start the next chapter of your life if you keep re reading the last one
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys! I thought maybe they would be safe since it's just bread type stuff. They didn't get to room temp, they were still very cold, like if they were in the fridge. The only thing I saved was a pack of hamburger meat it somehow stayed completely frozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Elski View Post
    As far as I know, you shouldn't re freeze thawed food. It's such a pain when that happens, I've done it before myself, very annoying. Can you guys eat the pancakes and waffles over the next 24 hours so they don't go to waste?
    It's SO annoying! This is the 2nd time this has happened in a month 1/2. It's happened at least 3 times since January. I'm going to put a HUGE sign on the freezer door that says "CLOSE DOOR!!!!"

I doubt that it would be dangerous, but once baked items are frozen and dethaw they get weird. You wouldn't want to eat them. We've had that happen before and they get downright gross. What a drag, so sorry that happened!