Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

SNOWANGEL: I EDITED THE TITLE OF THIS THREAD SO MORE WOULD CLICK ON IT!

To see some transcript of this Dr. Phil show, click here: http://www.drphil.com/shows/show/417/ Edited by: sage

agoraphobia. im sure many of us have experienced that before. i want to remember to watch that
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Sorry also just to clarify, Dr. Phil will have an emet on the show..

Have I been living on another Planet? I saw Dr. Phil, today which is what led me to this site!! I had no idea there was such a fear!! This is really freaking me out, I have suffered with this since early childhood, very few people even know about it. This site has really helped me feel a little more normal. I can relate to the absolute panic that renders me completly useless when I think someone or I may V*. Anyone ever feel the heart pounding, awful panic, when you hear someone coughing?...which may led to V*, or the sound of something spilling? The instant parlyzing fear that grips you, then the sudden relief when it was just a kid spilling milk.

Did the Dr. Phil show give the website address or something? Or did you just type emetophobia into google?

I didnt google the word emetaphobia. I saw the preview for the show and then looked at his website.

I saw Dr. Phil today and I didn't even know there was a name for this

neuroses that I've been suffering with for most of my life and at times

has made me agoraphobic for long periods of time, a couple of times
    now. I went to his site hoping to find the spelling -
    there it was -

E-M-E-T-O-P-H-O-B-I-A. I did a google seach - BANG!!!

I'M NOT ALONE.

I cried watching in disbelief and at the same time with relief.

Now I'm here after suffering for 30 years in secret.

The only way that I've dealt with it is by popping benzoes - LOTS of them

- all at once. I've been prescibed them from a family physician from

the age of 10 yrs old. I keep a minimum supply of 100 tabs at all times

- with me, wherever I go. My tolerance is so high now that it takes at

least 10 tabs of 10mg Diazapam just to take the edge off. I'm so scared

of v* in public or</span> private.

I'm so glad to have found a place to turn to for support. And maybe even

lend some advice - I've noticed that there are a lot of people on here

that are quite young and I would hope that my experiences might help

someone else out. Especially the pharmacutical route - It's not the way

to go.

Happy to be here - happy to know I can reach out to someone who

REALLY understands. Please write me.

</span></span></font></span></span>
    Edited by: want2live

i missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

how do you get a copy of the show.

did any one tape it????

The DrPhil.com website has tapes and transcripts that can be purchased. The tape is about 40.00 bucks but the transcript is more affordable.

Quote Originally Posted by bexcelica
    i missed it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img][img]smileys/smilies_07.gif[/img]

how do you get a copy of the show.

did any one tape it????

thanks japa

im still mad i missed it though

I saw the show and was absolutely thrilled. The piece showing the emetophobic woman was so powerful - it REALLY showed how debilitating this phobia is (she couldn't get on the plane to come to the show...and felt ashamed of herself crying her eyes out...) I liked how Phil was so gently with her, and even playful...considering some people he rips a strip out of or blames for their own conditions.

Snowangel, if you're in the Vancouver area let me know and I can take you as a client, at no cost. (I tell this to all the Canadians!)

Otherwise, go to the Treatments section and print out the Forum Topics at the top such as INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY and HOW TO GET PROFESSIONAL HELP
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sage thanks so much for the offer for free treatment. You are wonderful, really and truly. Wish I could make it out to Vancouver again one day. (I loved it there so much).
    I will definitely let you know if I ever make it out there. I am from the big TO..

Hey Snowangel! I'm coming to Toronto next Thursday, but I'll be in meetings for 3 days and then flying out on Saturday evening, so I won't be able to hook up with anyone. But next time I come there, which will be in October sometime...maybe I'll spend an extra day and meet with some TO-emets? That would be cool.

For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

I just have to share my story...Until I saw Dr.Phil I was totally convinced that I was the only one in the universe with this phobia. To top it off it has a name. I was soooo exited I've been in bliss, wanting to tell the world. Then I googled up this site and almost fell down...I am not alone!!! And I just turned a wise 50, or so I thought. I swear I will do all I can to bring this out to awareness. Imagine how many more there must be out there, keeping this a secret, screaming for help on the inside.

Now to share the really good news: I am about 90% cured since 5 years back. I suffered since early childhood with every symptom around it. Didn't dare to have children or animals. Feared all transportations. Always having a big knot in my stomach. Around age 25 I discovered Dramamine and popped it like candy. At the same time I realized that having a shot of strong alcohol really numbed the fear even better. So I always carried a few mini bottles with me, just in case I would see or hear v---, well that became the only way I could function. Icouldn't even go to the mail box without having my mini bottles with me.But I felt trapped likea prisoner within myself and became very depressed later on. Finally about 5 years ago my doctor put me on Prozac and I dont know what happened but I felt safe, secure and better every day. I started walking out the door and even travelling without my bottles. I prayed a lot at the same time for healing.

For the first time in 20 years I did one night v--and was okey with it. I still have those 10% left of phobia, when the "danger" is around, but I can deal with it.

I helped raising my husbands two boys and I now have1 dog, 2 cats and 10 cockatiel birds. I travel quite a bit and live a very happy life in Hawaii. I still take my daily Prozac, just in case.

Please know, that there is hope and I am definately going to do something to spread the word as far as I can. Being fluent in 3 different languages might be helpful too, having lived in different countries. There is no stopping me now, I promise!!!

Kerston ! Thanks for that email...its good to know its possible to get cured...how did you get over this???

Hi Kerstin, I live in Hawaii too! I'm in Honolulu, where are you? Wow cool, first person here I know of from Hawaii!
    ~Sheri~

Hi Sheri,

Cool to know somebody is here in Hawaii. I live on the big Island of Hawaii around Pahoa. Maybee we can talk sometime or even get together. Let me know.

Kerstin

Kerstin, if you wanna talk here's myemail [email protected]

Edited by: sheri-baby
    ~Sheri~