Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Is a week long enough?

One my closest friends asked me to babysitt her 2 kids for her next Saturday the 26th overnight. Her and her boyfriend are going to a Halloween party. Her kids are 2 & 7 months. I agreed, my kids love having them over so I think it'll be fun for them. She JUST messaged me on facebook and said her boyfriends daughter is out sick having v* today. Naturally I freaked immediately b/c most likely her 2 kids are going to catch it later this week. I figured by Friday they both would have come down with it. They will be at my house a week from this Saturday. Do you think that is long enough that they won't pass it to us? We just had the sv* 3 weeks ago in this house, all 4 of us caught it (my 2 kids, me and my husband) I REALLY don't want to repeat it!!! HELP!

Default Re: Is a week long enough?

I don't think that's long enough for them to be non-contagious BUT I still think that you should still have them over! First of all you don't KNOW that they are going to catch it. IF they do, remember that the only way to pass it on is through stool or vomit. So, when they come into your house have them wash their hands. When they go #2, spray down the toilet with a bleach/water spray and the sink handles. Make sure they scrub up afterwards. Otherwise, there's nothing to worry about! Really, truly if they wash their hands there is nothing to fear. I also believe that it's most likely the same virus you've already had and you're already immune anyway!

That is what I'm hoping is that were immune. I was hoping a week long long enough that they wouldn't be contagious anymore (if they even catch it) I guess my fear is that it'll be on their stuff they bring over, clothes, toys etc. The baby is only 7 months so he'll have everything in his mouth and touching everything w/o even realizing it. My friend isn't the best about washing her 2 year olds hands. He is in the middle of potty training right now and the few times I've been at her house or she's had him here she NEVER makes him wash his hands after. Gross!!! I don't understand people, seriously! One time I was at her house and she didn't even had soap in her bathroom, I got shampoo out of her shower to wash my hands with.
    Last edited by Leslie735; 10-15-2013 at 11:23 AM.

That really IS gross!!!! If you don't want to have them, don't. Don't feel pressured to do what you don't want to do. But if you do, you could always pop them into the bath when they arrive and wash their clothes and toys. Sounds extreme, but you COULD if you want to have them but are too worried about being anxious the whole time. I really doubt that anything will be on their clothes. Toys on the other hands, I'm not sure. Whatever you choose, no matter what, things WILL be ok!!!

I'd say you'd probably be immune if you've had it only 3 weeks ago. I personally wouldn't risk it but like you, we've just had it in our house too (daughter had it, think son had it as a few days of loose nappies, then I had it - bleh! My boyf somehow escaped it) so I'm still recovering from the residual anxiety of that. See how it goes though, if its an isolated incident and her other 2 kids don't get it, you'll be fine to have them over
    Last edited by Elski; 10-15-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: damn iPhone autocorrect

How old is her boyfriend's daughter, has she been sick with a cold, allergies or something else, is it possible she has strep throat??? Don't forget kids are more prone to v* over other things besides just tummy bugs. My son has had a couple bouts of v* in the past week because he has had a bad cold and the mucus has upset his reflux a couple times, plus he out with buddies and overate and he's prone to some occasional nighttime anxieties that make the tummy upset too. It doesn't take much for kids to v*, I wouldn't freak just yet. And the fact that your family has already had a stomach bug probably does help keep you guys pretty immune to anything they might be carrying. I would however make it clear to my friend that if either child is sick or gets sick, I would expect her to be a GOOD mom and put the kids FIRST before the date. I'm sorry but that just burns my butt that people are irresponsible with their children b/c they don't want to put their social life aside. I've had to cancel nights out with my hubby before b/c of sick kids, but that's the breaks of having kids...

I talked to her this morning and she said she threw up a few times yesterday and is much better today so to me it sounds like it was a sv* so far both her other kids are doing ok but it's only been 24 hours since she started v*. Hopefully they won't catch anything.

So I babysatt the kids tonight, and felt pretty relaxed. Parents came and picked them up and I jumped on facebook to see the Mom just had the sv* last night/this morning!!!!!!!!! I'm flipping out!!!! I was touching all the kids stuff and did not wash my hands after. Please reassure me!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leslie735 View Post
    So I babysatt the kids tonight, and felt pretty relaxed. Parents came and picked them up and I jumped on facebook to see the Mom just had the sv* last night/this morning!!!!!!!!! I'm flipping out!!!! I was touching all the kids stuff and did not wash my hands after. Please reassure me!!!
    Did they show any symptoms? Also did you put your fingers in your mouth? If not, you're more than likely safe.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

No they were fine, other than the baby spit up all over me but I think it was just that, spit up. I did put my fingers in my mouth, I ate some chips w/o washing my hands. :/

Hopefully, you still have immunity from having it so recently yourself. (hugs) That's rough.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace47 View Post
    Hopefully, you still have immunity from having it so recently yourself. (hugs) That's rough.
    I sure hope so!