Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Exclamation Having surgery tomorrow and I'm so scared !!

I am trying to be strong and brave and not a drama queen, but I am sooooo nervous ! I am going into hospital tomorrow for surgery ... The surgery will take about 2 hours (total thyroidectomy) which I am not bothered about .... It's the after effects I'm scared of ! I've warned them I'm emet and asked them to pump me full of anti emetics before I wake up ... But what if they don't work and I have a full blown panic attack semi conscious ?
    What if I v* and the nurses aren't around ? Then there's the list of possible complications of this surgery, the most common being an infection ... For which I will need IV anti b's ... Then there's the possible collapsing of my windpipe (common for this surgery) ... I don't know what I'm more scared of ! To make matters worse my friends husband is on the ward I'm going onto, having had surgery last week and he's being kept in due to noro virus and a bad infection ! This hospital is renowned for being dirty too ... I feel like I'm going to have a meltdown ! I don't want to go but I need this op and have been waiting 4 years for it !
    Any words of advice, encouragement ..... Anything ??

Default Re: Having surgery tomorrow and I'm so scared !!

UGH, no fun! Im sorry you're having to go through all that It will be okay though, try to stay positive! I will pray for you, and that everything goes smoothly. Dont stress out too much... U really should be fine
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

Wishing you a safe, uncomplicated procedure, and an easy recovery!

Quote Originally Posted by hannahk86 View Post
    I am trying to be strong and brave and not a drama queen, but I am sooooo nervous ! I am going into hospital tomorrow for surgery ... The surgery will take about 2 hours (total thyroidectomy) which I am not bothered about .... It's the after effects I'm scared of ! I've warned them I'm emet and asked them to pump me full of anti emetics before I wake up ... But what if they don't work and I have a full blown panic attack semi conscious ?
    What if I v* and the nurses aren't around ? Then there's the list of possible complications of this surgery, the most common being an infection ... For which I will need IV anti b's ... Then there's the possible collapsing of my windpipe (common for this surgery) ... I don't know what I'm more scared of ! To make matters worse my friends husband is on the ward I'm going onto, having had surgery last week and he's being kept in due to noro virus and a bad infection ! This hospital is renowned for being dirty too ... I feel like I'm going to have a meltdown ! I don't want to go but I need this op and have been waiting 4 years for it !
    Any words of advice, encouragement ..... Anything ??
    You won't catch Norovirus, because your hand hygiene will be better than probably most nursing staff. A friend of mine had surgery and she was worried about vomiting afterwards, however they gave her lots of anti-emetics and believe me they do work. You will either be given Metoclopramide or Ondansetron, both are very powerful anti-emetics is pill form and you will be given it directly into your drip so I wouldn't worry there. Post Op complications are very rare due to the sterile nature of the operating theatre, however as long as you do what the nurses ask you to then youll be fine. Wish you all the best.

*hugs* I'm sure you've already had the surgery by now but please don't worry! Those anit v* meds work amazing. I've had 2 C-sections, my gallbladder our and my most recent, all 4 of my wisdom teeth out and I've never v* after any of them. I got a little, and I really mean a little n* after my 2nd C-section but it was b/c of the morphine. You will be just fine. I will be praying for you!

I recently had surgery. I did wake up rather nauseated, but nothing I couldn't handle. When you go in for surgery your stomach will be empty so that helps a lot. There's really nothing in your belly to come up, so it's just the nausea sensation. The nurse will give you an anti-emetic if you are feeling woozy. Unfortunately that's just the side-effect of the anesthesia. Once she gave me the anti-emetic I was fine within a few minutes and up getting dressed and walking around. Maybe they can give it to you in your IV before you wake up.

How did it go?