Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Help!! SV or not? Contemplating Suicide:(

I am so scared a guy at my work who i worked with today,
    said he has a bug and was sick all night, and so were his mum and sister
    but he still came into work feeling awful, he wasnt sick at work as far as I know, but how likely am I to get it?

I am so convinced thay I will get it!! I touched everything he did!

We spoke quite a bit before I found out that he had it

Now i wont even eat, cause im too scared

I am honestly contemplating suicide if I do get it.

Any help will be truly appreciated! Please tell me if I will get this!

Default Re: Help!! SV or not? Contemplating Suicide:(

what up dude? I haven't seen you in such a long time!

Listen, if you are contemplating suicide call a suicide hotline my friend. Just in case. Us emets gotta look out for each other, leave no one in the field and what not. I don't want to see anyone succumb to emetophobia like that. Seriously, reach out to a counselor or someone man...

Secondly yes, you could have been exposed, but you are potentially exposed to all sorts of illnesses everywhere. Whats the use in worrying about it until it actually happens? I know, I do this too, but seriously just potential exposure to norovirus is absolutely no reason to freak out. First of all, people share foods in common...could have been food poisoning. Secondly, unless he was actively vomiting and/or diarrheaing that day, you were not exposed. If you went to the bathroom and took all necessary handwashing precautions, there is a very good chance that even if it was noro and he did diarrhea in the bathroom that you washed it off in the sink. Look, you are an emet. I know you have proper handwashing techniques and thats even if you use public bathrooms at all (good chance you didn't that day just because a coworker said he was sick).

But bro, he said for a little bit he felt better, but then an hour or two later, he said he felt goddamn awful, he had been V* the day before aswell he said, but didn't listen too much, I'm just curious as to what chance I have of catching this, I washed my hands twice, but did end up using the same towels as him and stuff, did not touch my lips as far as I know, but how long before I am safe?!

SV isn't worth dying over even if by some chance you do get it. Please seek help. One day of illness is not worth your life. I hope things get better for you soon.

If you washed your hands well (as most emets do) and you did not let him prepare or handle your food, you probably were not exposed. Try not to worry.

Many people swear by purple grape juice as a sv prevention tool. I have my kids drink a glass a day this time of year. If you are really worried you could drink a couple of glasses. It has to be the purple kind though.

Sv is not worth dying over. I promise you it is not. It is scary. It scares all of us more than it should, but it is not worth your life. I hope you will reach out to someone in your real life, or call a helpline, if you start feeling desperate.
    Last edited by mamacat; 10-26-2013 at 05:31 PM.

No it's not worth feeling like that over but I can understand as u have a phobia.
    You won't get it if you do good hand hygeine, even if youve been around this person youre not exactly guaranteed to get it... there's not much chance at all to be honest you dont live in the same house as this person

Hi Adem-long time, no talk.
    Sorry you are having such a rough time of it. I can imagine how scared you must be feeling right now but realistically speaking, you know you can't catch anything from him simply by being in the same workplace. I'm sure you took great measures in the bathroom to wash your hands thoroughly so you most certainly washed away any germs. You didn't share a straw or fork with him after he v, so you didn't ingest any v particles. If both his sister and mum were also sick at the same time, there's a good possibility they ate some spoiled food. Normally SV doesn't hit multiple members of the same family simultaneously-not saying it
    couldn't happen but it's highly unlikely.
    Lastly, if you are truly feeling hopeless and desperate to the point of suicide please call someone! I went through something very similar just last Saturday. I was miserable and would've given anything for sone peace of mind-luckily I had hubby, a dear friend from IES, and some thoughtful, rational responses to my panic post on the forum to help give me some perspective. My point is, if there's someone you can confide in who can help you, don't be afraid to ask for help!
    Sending you positive thoughts!
    Jennifer
    “The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell, a hell of heaven..”
    ― John Milton, Paradise Lost

Hi Adem.. I hope today is a better day for you and that you are feeling better... it broke my heart to read your post. please know that there are people that can help you during these tough times. If I can be of any help please let me know! Im here!

Thankyou for your support guys, believe me, I have been reading your comments through my emails. It has been around 50 hours now, so I am taking that I am safe, I think my suicidal thoughts stem from my depression, so I guess it is not just Emetophobia. I will surely be on the road to recovery soon enough, Can't thank you all enough!

( Could the people who I have not spoken to in ages private message me? I want to keep in contact with you all but can't send private messages for some reason! )

Thanks again all of you

Hola, im new to this. Last year, my sister and brother got hepatitis at the same time, they were sick. I was freaking out, thinking that i had it too, i livee with them you know, i share room with my sister, we use the same kitchen, same bathrooms, etc, i had drank a beverage from the same bottle as my sister. I waited 2 weeks or 3 and i didnt get the virus, but in the mid time i was all paranoid of course, i couldnt even sit in the couch without feeling contaminated.
    The thing is, i think you will be ok, geting a sickness depends a lot in immune system and i said, i lived and shared everything with my sibilings and i didnt get sick. Hope it helps