Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default new member- I need some advice!

hey guys, I'm Katie and I'm a sixteen year old girl. I have had emetophobia ever since the fourth grade when I was turning nine. I think that what triggered it was one time when I had a virus, I had such a high fever that I was hallucinating. it was very scary, and I think that's why I'm so scared of vomiting now.
    basically, every time I hear someone get sick, or even if I hear of someone that I know getting sick, I start to hyperventilate and cry. I get extremely worked up and if I see someone get sick- I get very angry and start screaming and crying. I know it sounds like a temper tantrum, but honestly, I am terrified of seeing, hearing, or smelling vomit. I am also extremely scared of getting sick, myself. whenever I start to feel nauseous, I immediately start to panic and my tics (I have a tic disorder) go insane. and I think that my tics emerge when I'm nauseous because tics are anxiety rooted.
    basically, what I'm asking from anyone who reads this, is just some advice. I came to this website because I'm lost, I don't know what to do about this phobia. my mom doesn't believe I'm that scared of it, but I really am.
    I attend therapy for many other psychiatric reasons, and my diagnosis is borderline personality disorder, and obsessive compulsive disorder. I am on medication for my mood swings and anxiety.
    so can you guys just tell me where I start with treatment for this? do I talk to my doctor about possible exposure therapy? or what should I do?
    thanks for reading, everyone. I'm really struggling

Default Re: new member- I need some advice!

print this resource: http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...-Get-the-Facts and give it to your psychologist and perhaps your mother. It may help them guide your treatment.

Default Re: new member- I need some advice!

pay particular attention to the "misdiagnoses" section. Could be that your OCD is actually a symptom of the larger disorder -- specific phobia of vomiting. Of course, talk to your therapist about it...could be totally wrong.