Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default OT: Wisdom Tooth Removal - Painful?

Hi guys, just been to dentist today as my upper right wisdom tooth is causing problems. I've been given antibiotics and he's removing it next week. I was in the chemist waiting for my prescription and was telling a friend about having the wisdom tooth removed and some girl in the queue piped up and said she'd had hers out that day and it was so painful and even strong painkillers weren't helping with the after pain. Yeah thanks for that helpful little gem of information, lady.

So, those of you who've had them out - does it hurt a lot afterwards? I'm meant to be moving house (we're relocating 50 miles) a couple of days later, will I be ok to do this?

Default Re: OT: Wisdom Tooth Removal - Painful?

It will be fine please don't worry. My emetophboia is so bad I haven't left my house for nearly 10 years. I got a bad tooth but couldn't go to a dentist by the time I could get a dentist to understand and come out to me it was to late all my teeth were rotting. I had a special doctor come round inject me with something so I could leave the house and tbh that's all I remember the next thing I'm in a hospital bed with no teeth what so ever which was a huge shock for. 32 year old man. But good news it didn't hurt at all I didn't even take painkillers as I'm scared they will make me sick but tbh I didn't need them anyway.

You our will be fine I'm sure I had 32 teeth removed and 4 were wisdom and as soon as I was awake I was sent home and could move do anything I wanted apart from eat hard or very hot food for a few days

I'm not gonna lie, getting mine out wasn't painless, but it's manageable.

I was crew for a theatre show a few days after I got mine out, and it wasn't ideal. I got through it though, so you should be fine

I got mine out December 30th 2002 in my hometown, and went back up to my college town 3 days later. It was no big deal. Hurt some, and I couldn't eat hard food or drink from a straw for a week or so. But it was totally manageable.

I've had 3 of mine out and they were sore for about a week afterwards, but I didn't need anything stronger than ibuprofen. You may need to take it easy for a few days to avoid interfering with the healing process, but your dentist can tell you how much activity is ok based on your particular situation.

I had all four of mine out at once. It did suck. The day after was worse for me. a lot of pain and swelling. I was good as new in about a week. I of corse didnt take any of the pain killers that were given to me. Just took tynolnol. You will be ok

Guys, thank you so much! Discomfort I can handle - I've had 2 children with no pain relief so can't be that much of a wuss - I just don't want excruciating pain, which is what this woman was making out it was like. As long as I can pop some painkillers and feel mostly human, it's all good. I'm dreading the procedure as I'll be awake but it's only the one tooth so I'm hoping it'll be no big deal.

JPS_UK, wow that's a pretty bad old state you ended up in, I'm sorry to hear that. Did they fix you up with dentures? I hope you're getting some help with your emet now? Being stuck in your house for 10 years is no way to live and it makes me feel sad that people suffer like this. Anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you can find some support here!

I just had all 4 of mine out in July. I was sore for a few days but not bad at all. I took motrin and tylenol to help but it wasn't completely necessary. Just make sure you follow the directions they give you. I avoided hard foods for about a week, I stuck to soft things like yogurt, bread, soup, for several days. You don't want to eat things that could loosen the blood clot which could cause dry socket. I've heard that is painful. I was very careful and had no problems. I was back to almost normalcy within a week. Remember though, I had all 4 out at the same time.

Jps_UK, wow that's a pretty bad old state you ended up in, I'm sorry to hear that. Did they fix you up with dentures? I hope you're getting some help with your emet now? Being stuck in your house for 10 years is no way to live and it makes me feel sad that people suffer like this. Anyway, welcome to the forum, I hope you can find some support here![/QUOTE]

yeah the dentist was very nice was shocked I lasted 7 years in agony before I could get a dentist to come out to me, gave me a full set of dentures which are as not as uncomfortable as I thought they would be.

NO help from anyone I'm afraid my doctor just says your on the right pills, poroxitine 30mg but been on them for 9 years and they have done nothing apart from make me addicted to them. I'm just very lucky to have a very supporting family and partner and 3 beautiful children as tbh with not going outside for so long without them I might of gave up.

good luck with your wisdom tooth removal sure all will be fine

I just had mine out in the middle of September, and the pain post surgery was way more manageable than the pain I was experiencing before the surgery (my tooth was going into my jaw)

800mg Ibuprofen/Advil took care of the pain. The most annoying part was eating and changing the gauze.

Jadenight came to see me a week or so later in NYC when I was there, and seemed okay.

You'll hear all about the horror stories that people had because people always want to share their horror stories but it's so uneventful when nothing goes wrong that no one really wants to talk about it. When you think about it, it's bound to hurt at least a little, I don't think I've spoken to a person for whom it didn't hurt at all, but it's much better than the pain that they can cause if left too long. I'm sure it'll be all fine.

(The above is what I wanted to post originally added to my previous message but was on my phone :P )

Please let us know how it all goes
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Jadenight came to see me a week or so later in NYC when I was there, and seemed okay.

You'll hear all about the horror stories that people had because people always want to share their horror stories but it's so uneventful when nothing goes wrong that no one really wants to talk about it. When you think about it, it's bound to hurt at least a little, I don't think I've spoken to a person for whom it didn't hurt at all, but it's much better than the pain that they can cause if left too long. I'm sure it'll be all fine.

(The above is what I wanted to post originally added to my previous message but was on my phone :P )

Please let us know how it all goes

THAT I DID! I was chewing and everything. I still had a weird hole where the tooth was though, but I didnt need anymore pain meds whats so ever.
    and it really was, I think people over exaggerate to make it seem like they endured a life changing event in their body, and trust me i went into it believing all of that. the morning of my surgery I needed to take the Valium that was prescribed to me (because I said I had anxiety) Still sobbed on the valium, it was literally 15 minutes, boom, done, went home.

Thanks again guys, you're right, you only ever hear the bad stories because I guess the normal, straightforward ones are dull!

I am in pain intermittently because the tooth is growing side ways and I keep biting into the side of my mouth and its also affecting one of the nerves so I'm sure it can be no worse than that.

Jade/Kaydee - it's good to hear you got up to all sorts of shenanigans a week after having a tooth pulled, that makes me feel better Jade, did you have it out under local or general?

Jps_uk - glad you've got a good family around for support, I bet it must make all the difference. Have you tried seeking the opinion of a different GP?

they knocked me out for it. I was fine after, loopy and hilarious, but fine.

I had all 4 out in one swift go 2 days before christmas. It was complicated by the fact that the bottom two had grown bizarrely and I had to have additional cuts and stitches on the bottom of the jaw to get them out. I was awake through this and they sent me home doped up on painkillers. It never hurt, not during, not after. I was very good and took the painkillers at the interval they told me and not when I felt pain and avoided ever getting into the "pain cycle". For christmas i was able to carefully eat dinner with my family. The stitches bothered me a bit, because they were just sort of there, but it was less than a week and they dissolved. And I looked a bit chipmunky and had bruises on my cheeks (because of the additional cuts). But no pain.

I had kind of hoped I would lose a few pounds from not being able to eat, but I lost nothing (other than the blooming teeth). So yeah, just make sure you take the painkillers. Don't be a hero, nobody hands out medals for not taking a pill when something hurts!