Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My story.

Exclamation My story.

I am only 13 and im emetophobic. Argh... ><

I was really enjoying life, I never adored v'ing but I was definitely NOT emetophobic. One day me and my bff went out with my mum to a chinese restarunte in my village, and 2 days later (4 days before my birthday) I v'd . I was scared and didnt like it obvioustly, but no more than usual. then life went on and i went on a camping trip with my mum and sister and my best friend and her family for my birthday treat, v'ing didnt even cross my mind for ages.
    Then one day I was at school and I just felt really nauseous so i went to the nurse and asked to go home. I went home but didnt feel much better. I went back in but from that day on I havent been able to stay at schook all day without feeling ill or getting scared that I will v.
    It got so pointless going and then coming home again that we decided to home school. I really like it and it did help abit but I still get scared when im out and about, not like i need to wash my hands and no go near young kids, just that maybe I will be sick here and then i will be scared of being ill out in public. Sorry if tht last bit was abit confusing. :S. My mum and dad are split and things arent great between me and my dad, could my nauseous feeling be coming from stress from that situation? I am always tired too, but i get enough sleep and im not abused (not pregnant dw) I have more or less fulfilling home-life so I am stuck for ideas of whats causing it and how to cure it. I wouldnt even go to my friends birthday party at go-ape because I was scared of being sick there! the idea of vomiting doesnt scare me sooo bad, but when the time comes that i feel sick and theres even 1% chance i could be ill (which is always) Hell breaks out!
    Please help this is taking over my life!! epp! I heard emetophobes can hold off vomiting but that scares me alot too because I dont want to get cocky about it then v because thart always seems to happen :O
    ALso my mum is in london working alot or in france and that scares me because when i do v I need her there to comfort me and if she isnt then that scared me TOOO MUCH FOR WORDS! My dads useless at parenting so he cant help.
    maddy.

Default Re: My story.

Sorry you are feeling like this, i was very much like that at your age too in terms of wanting my mum there all the time and missing a lot of school through anxiety and panic. I didn't even know emet existed back then so got no help for it at all until I was in my twenties when I had some CBT. CBT is a therapy where the therapist helps you think and react differently to certain triggers and it definitely helps a lot of people. You won't need to talk about problems at home etc if you don't want to. Separation from a parent as a child is one of the theories as one of the causes of emetophobia i believe and it sounds like you are a bit separated from both of yours at the moment so that is bound to have some impact on you.

As for being tired all the time, teenagers do need an awful lot of sleep so make sure you are getting to bed at a reasonable time, especially if you have early starts. try and eat a healthy diet and eat regularly so your blood sugar doesn't drop as that can make you feel tired and under-par. If it is excessive tiredness though, have you had a sore throat at all around the time that started? Glandular Fever can leave you with long lasting tiredness afterwards and whilst some people suffer with a terrible sore throat and other symptoms, other people barely notice being ill in the first place. I'm not sure if a blood test would still be able to pick it up in your blood or not but it might be worth a chat with your GP if the tiredness is really affecting you. You could even be anaemic if you are not eating well but again a bloos test would pick that up.

Yes Emets do seem to have the ability not to vomit as readily as non-emets however it doesn't mean we can't be sick, i had noro and was and i couldn't have stopped that unfortunately as much as i would have liked to. being cocky about it won't make you sick, that's a bit of a superstion type thing - in fact there is a thread on that subject elsewhere on here at the moment - You are doing a lot of what-iffing which is common with this rather than living in the here and now and not worrying about what in all likelihood is not going to happen. CBT can help with that.

Do your mum and/or dad know about all of this? If you could confide in at least one of them and if they could go with you to the doctors then you will be able to get the help you need xx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Default Re: My story.

Thanks, and I did take a blood test, it showed nothing wrong, so im doctors are looking into it a bit deeper. Yes my parents do know, my mum really knows whats going on but I havent really told my dad too much and he just thinks Im trying to get off school, he isn't the most understanding of dads.
    Yes I what-iff a lot, all the time. Even when I am hanging out with my best friend I will panic.
    I don't really suffer fron panic attacks, I just get really scared of the future, so I guess I do need to live in the present more. However it makes me feel properly nauseous and it scares me because I can't tell the diffrence when its real and im going to v or when its panic.
    Thanks for all the help though and I will look into CBT.