Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hypnosis

Default Hypnosis

Sorry I am new at this. I am currently doing hypnosis and find that it is working -slowly. Has anyone has complete success using hypnosis? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Hypnosis

I can't say that I saw complete success by ANY means, however I did get the Emetophobia hypnosis app by Joseph Clough for the iPhone, and I noticed that I did relax quite a bit for the time that I was doing it. For instance, I will literally have a mental breakdown, turn and run away and if I have any reason to ever believe that it could happen to me. My wife was in the hospital once due to getting a hernia at work (I was actively doing the hypnosis every day at this time), and when we got home she said she was going to v*. Normally, my chest would have started pounding, I would have gone into full blown panic. Somehow, my mind literally reverted to a sentence in the hypnosis that I didn't even recall him ever saying, and I could hear him saying the specific sentence in my head. I didn't panic, I didn't have trouble breathing, chest didn't hurt, nothing. I was uncomfortable and still went out on the back deck to smoke a cigarette and stay distracted, but I still didn't panic. That night I was still able to use the toilet, I fed her dinner in bed, I even kissed her. I do believe that the hypnosis really helped me, and just by remembering this story, I'm going to fall asleep to that hypnosis track tonight. Honestly that app was the best $2.99 I had ever spent, it helps me sleep when I'm anxious, it helps me get through the days easier, and it really does somehow get into my mind. I really had no recollection of the line that shot into my mind when I normally would have panicked, until later that night I went back and really listened to it and stayed awake. Lo and behold, he really did say exactly what I heard. I recommend it to anyone that wants a little bit of relief, but since I unfortunately never stuck with doing it every single night as a ritual, it's been a while since I've listened to it. Thanks for reminding me of it, I'm going to start listening to it at night again.

I have tried it twice with no success, but they do say that some people don't respond to hypnosis so I could just be one of the few who don't. Good luck with it though and let us know how it goes.
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

Thanks for your input. I actually had a breakthrough the time before last and realized my obsession with emet was my masking other issues such as I'm tires or cold to complex as I stubbed my toe and the pain made me ill. Once I realized this it's been some much better and I actually do feel cured some to speak. I think it works when you know the underlying issue. Although I haven't had a real life scenario yet (ie someone around me ill) So time will tell!!

Sorry some is So.. darn autocorrect haha

Well glad you are feeling better, hope it continues
    A major function of sadness is to help people become more aware of what they value and hence conserve it

I tried hypnosis, and it worked for me, but only for a few days after the sessions, then I'd go right back to being my old anxious self, so I think it was just the relaxation part working for me, not the subconscious stuff. But it was really interesting as an experience. So no, hypnosis didn't cure me fully, but it helped.

One of the mods on here found hypnosis really helpful but she's never on anymore.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a question about hypnosis therapy : what do they make you do ? do they make you imagine yourself being sick, and then tell you how to react ? because if yes, I guess I won't be able to handle it :S

No, when I did hypnosis it was more of my conscious mind speaking to my subconscious mind, making it aware that being afraid is only harming my body. It has nothing at all to do with being sick, it's more about overcoming fear in general. There's nothing to do with you getting sick, nothing about you seeing others getting sick, nothing about reactions, all just helping your mind comprehend that the fear is detrimental to yourself. He didn't use any trigger words with me, didn't make me picture any scenarios, nothing related to that at all.