Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Guess it's time to get some help.

I can't believe how bad this phobia has become since having kids. I'm SO scared to expose my kids to this virus when I know it's around. I had a parent teacher interview with my daughters teacher last night and found out that noro is still going around the class like crazy - and today my daughters friends mom texted me and told me that her daughter was throwing up today. There is NO reason why my daughter shouldn't go to school on monday, but I am SO tempted to keep her home. I won't. But I want to.

I'm so sick and tired of living in fear constantly of this. I guess I'll go to the dr about it next week.

Default Re: Guess it's time to get some help.

Erin, I am the same-my emet has relapsed big time since my son had noro when he was 2. He is now 5 and in his first year of preK, and it has been3 years of contant fear, anxiety, 2nd guessing everything......

My insurance will not pay for therapy and we do not have the money for it, so I have been using self help books that address anxiety. It is helping. I would love to hear how it goes with your dr.
    I have no idea how I would react if there were an outbreak in his class. So far the only outbreak we have heard about has been lice.....eeeew, but at least it is not noro, right?
    Last edited by mamacat; 11-15-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Good for you! I LOVE my therapist and feel good having someone else speak into my fears. Glad to hear that you are planning to send her on Monday. The best thing that you can do is live your life like normal despite the anxiety. One way or another you WILL get through it and be stronger because of it. You're stronger than you realize!

Congratulations, going to the doctor about emet is really the first step towards recovery. And you'll feel so much better once you're set up with a therapist or doing whatever you need to do to help yourself
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

How do you even start to get over this fear? I have no idea what my dr will say or suggest.

I honestly feel like a bad parent sending my girl to school on Monday knowing she'll most likely catch this - I feel like since I know it's there, I should protect her and keep her home. Why should I expose her to something so nasty if I don't absolutely have to? Ugh.

I am COMPLETELY with you. I have a one year old son and the stomach bug has been going around his daycare this week and I have been beside myself with anxiety. I've been doing a little better these last few days but earlier in the week I was a wreck. I couldn't eat or sleep and my anxiety levels were through the roof. When I found out that one of his teachers had it one morning when I was dropping him off it was seriously all I could do to not turn around and take him straight home and lock us both in the house for the next week.

I also think I will be looking into getting some help in the very near future because, now that I have a kid, this is all a lot worse and a lot scarier. I don't want to live in a constant state of terror. I don't want to be the kind of mom that runs away when her son is sick. And I definitely don't want to pass this fear on to him!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin80 View Post
    How do you even start to get over this fear? I have no idea what my dr will say or suggest.

I honestly feel like a bad parent sending my girl to school on Monday knowing she'll most likely catch this - I feel like since I know it's there, I should protect her and keep her home. Why should I expose her to something so nasty if I don't absolutely have to? Ugh.
    Shes not most likely to catch it, teach her how to wash her hands properly (or remind her to if she already knows) and not to play with her face too much and she should be fine. Either way, if she does catch it, kids need exposure to things to build immunity. So it'll be better for her in the long run. You're not a bad mother. She can't stay home from school just because of a risk, she'd never GO to school if she stayed home for every risk.
    Come visit my history blog:

I am proud of you. HUGS

You doc may or may not know about emet specifically. There are links somewhere.....let me see if I can find them. It will help your therapist become familiar with it. CBT I hear is awesome.

If you decide to do any meds, remem benzos can be very addictive. There are also SSRI which can be used and other meds for anxiety.

Here is the link for info for therapists...
    http://www.emetophobia.org/showthrea...-Get-the-Facts
    Last edited by Cynna; 11-15-2013 at 10:52 PM.

Kick emets a....

I probably wont' be doing meds. I'm breastfeeding right now, and will be for probably 5-6 more months. Also, I have zero interest in taking meds for this. I'm hoping just talking to someone about it will help. I'm not scared to sit with my girls while they're sick, actually my phobia takes a back seat when they are sick because I know they need me - I run TO them, not away. It's after the vomiting is done that I start to panic. I worry about getting it. I worry about my kids getting sick BEFORE it happens, not during. I dread them catching it because I know how awful it feels to throw up, but I don't dread them getting it because I'm afraid of them throwing up. This is why I don't want to send my oldest to school on Monday - I know it's in the class, and this one time I can maybe prevent her from getting it, so why wouldn't I try to protect her from something awful? I don't always know when it's going around, I only know this time because of the parent interview I had and because of my daughters friend getting sick as well.

Meds are not for everyone. Not everyone needs them to get better. Good luck.

Proud you can be with them when they are sick too. I was so scared I would freak the first time it happened. But moms do what they have to do sometimes. Love drives us.

It is not a fun thing, but most people recover after a day or 2 with no medical intervention. It is normally only more dangerous for the elderly, infants, and people with special health concerns. The danger usu comes from dehydration and complications related to dehydration. I know we hate to see our kiddos/loved ones or ourselves suffer with it.

It is possible what is going around the school is Rota. You prob had your child vaccinated against rota so may not get it at all. Adults are normally immune to rota.

I am not a doc or a therpaist.

GOOD LUCK
    Last edited by Cynna; 11-16-2013 at 11:26 AM.

Kick emets a....