Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Wanting to break fear of alcohol

I'm sure you all immediately understood where I was going with this by the title, but as a result of emetophobia, I'm afraid of alcohol. Very afraid. Now I'm not aspiring to be an alcoholic by any means, but I would like to not be that guy that's afraid to even taste anything. I don't even want to get drunk, but having a mom that brews beer and always asks my opinion on the taste, I'm literally afraid of putting my tongue to the edge of the glass. I guess I'm wondering if anyone's got any rationalizations or reasons as to how or why I can drink without fear, I noticed quite a few people on this forum post about them drinking and I was stunned to see that not every emetophobe is terrified. I know that mass quantities will do it, dehydration, and allergies to certain alcohols, but my main issue is the allergies part. While I know that a drink with a low alcohol content probably wouldn't make me sick from dehydration or quantity, I'm worried about finding out I'm allergic the hard way. That being said, I've never found myself to be allergic to anything, I'm lactose intolerant but I'm pretty sound otherwise. I know this is definitely a case-by-case basis, but any advice is welcomed. I had drank when I was younger and not so severely emetophobic, but nowadays I'm afraid I may have developed some kind of allergy over the years that I won't know about until I try to drink again.

Default Re: Wanting to break fear of alcohol

I don't blame you for being afraid of alcohol as it is a toxic poison when consumed in excessive amounts, but in small amounts (especially when had with food) it won't make you v*. The best thing to do is start off by having sips - beer is probably a good choice or any other drink that isn't too alcoholic (like low percentage wine). Or you could have wine mixed with lemonade to start with. I think if you want to try and drink again, build up from small sips until you have a glass of something with a meal, for example.

I write in the middle of a terrible hangover from having too much to drink last night. I go through stages of drinking more or less but I'm very much a social drinker and touch wood, somehow, I've never actually v*ed from alcohol (actually don't know how, I've felt sick but that's when I've lots, more than would ever be recommended and usually on an empty stomach, so that is all my own fault). That said I will often have a couple of glasses of wine with a meal and feel absolutely fine. Alcohol in small amounts actually makes people hungry initially so it is very very unlikely it would make you feel ill if you're sensible about it.

As far as allergies go, I'm not sure. Is there a reason you think you might be allergic? Or intolerant? I wouldn't be able to tell you either way but I'd say it's worth having a go drinking small amounts if that's what you want. Best of luck!

I don't have any legitimate reason to think I'm allergic, but that's just the way I work I suppose. If it's possible, I'm afraid of it. From what I understand, even being allergic to it you'd either know immediately or it would take large quantities to get sick. I've drank about 1/3 of a Mike's Hard Lemonade and maybe 1/4 of a mixed drink in a bar just on times that I was really going balls out to try to test it. I was fine with those but the anxiety kicked in and I stopped drinking them. For the longest time I was under the impression that vodka made everyone sick, no matter what. Meanwhile my wife can drink half a fifth of vodka and is perfectly fine, so I tried a couple of her drinks and I did like them, which frustrated me because if it tastes good and I could potentially relax a little bit, I don't want to be terrified of it! Granted when I had sedation from anti-anxiety medication for a mouth surgery not too long ago I was terrified it would make me sick, then when I woke up I just acted like I was blackout drunk and had not a care in the world. That made me start thinking maybe I should just take anti-anxiety meds so I can stop worrying all the time. I felt pretty good when I was carefree for that couple of hours.

I've never been drunk because I'm afraid to get drunk for fear of vomiting. However, I do enjoy a glass or two of wine, especially with a nice dinner. I never go over two glasses, I've never been sick because of it, and in fact it has a quite pleasant relaxing effect.

You drank when you were younger so there's no logical reason why you would have developed an allergy to it now.

I don't drink at all not even a small amount, but if someone asks me to taste something, I will try it as a little bit on your lips would not start any allergies anyways. However if you don't feel comfortable around alcohol, then definitely don't drink it. I hate cheese so even if someone asks me to try some, I would say no, and when they ask why I would say "Because I hate cheese". Say that to people when they ask you to try some just say "I don't like alcohol, say the taste of alcohol makes you feel sick". They wont ask any more questions.

If you can confine yourself to one or two drinks per occasion, you will be fine.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I hate alcohol. It always makes me sick. I could have 2 drinks and v*. And now that I no longer have a gallbladder I am even more afraid of alcohol. I have read horror stories about people who were social drinkers and now can't even drink 1 drink without getting sick, and they say it's the worst hangover of their lives. A solid day of v*. No thanks. But if alcohol didn't effect you terribly before you'll be fine. Don't drink more than 2

To be honest, I would rather v* from having a hangover. When you think about i, you're out with your friends, most likely having an awesome time, you will be so giggly and happy that v* won't seem like such a huge thing, because in life, it's such a small bump in the road. That's how I see v*. If you're happy and enjoying life, nothing that takes 30 seconds to do will ruin it.

But back to alcohol consumption, start off small You will know when it's getting too much by the way you feel and if you feel like your zoning out quickly.