Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone afraid of working out?

That probably sounds odd (maybe not to you guys) but after watching someone get sick after PT with the Marine Corps recruiter, I've developed this fear of working out. While all the other guys were laughing at him, I was sitting in the van with my eyes closed, ears plugged and a heart rate faster than the speed of light. I've searched the reasons and whatnot behind it, but I'm just curious if anyone else has had the same fear. Almost did P90x until the 2nd video where he says "you may want to keep a bucket close by". Never tried again lol

Default Re: Anyone afraid of working out?

I am, I swim competitively and if I start working too hard and feel a bit dodgy I immediatly ease off and start freaking out, also this is the main reason I hate any kind of gym session. Im pretty sure I would never vomit frim working too hard but that doesnt stop me worrying!

Me too!! My daughter runs cross country and I don't know how she does it. She is a little afraid of getting sick, but she knows her body I guess when she is running. I would love to run or push myself a little more, but I always hold back. Even if I walk fast or up a hill, I get nervous if I start to feel funny and out of breath. Also, I used to take kickboxing and pushed myself one time, and while everyone was cooling down and relaxing, I was panicking because I felt nauseous and just couldn't wait to get home. Sooo, no more kickboxing.

I have the same around exercise, once i pushed my self to far around 170 bpm and was extremely nauseated for over an hour, but being keen on doing it as I believe it does help my mental state, i found a few things help, by doing it early morning on a empty stomach with just water or a sports drink helps, also a heart rate monitor i can get into good cardio range and maintain it by not pushing to hard sitting around 145bpm ( this helped the most never had nausea from exercise since), also if you think your going to hard dont just stop reduce the intensity by half in then a few minutes half again this is meant to help.

Yes! It's funny, I was going to post a thread similar to this! I am currently on a journey to lose weight so obviously working out is included. Strenthening exercises such as crunches and squats don't worry me, but going running scares me! I want to push myself but don't want to end up getting ill. I am too afraid to try Insanity because I have heard it makes you feel quite ill at first. I know I need to push myself if I want to lose weight because I'm quite overweight but my fear stops me!
    M I D N I G H T

I have worked myself out to the point of feeling dizzy and almost sick. However, I realize now before I get to that point and I slow down the pace a bit.

Oh man I have been emetophobic since I can remember. My ex step-mom got super into running when I was like 9 years old. We all went and watched to support her. We were standing by the finish line and right as she finished a man finished too. He walked towards where we were standing and put his head down and threw up all over my shoes. I cried. It was terrible. So running has always freaked me out since. But working out, I definitely know to stop if I get dizzy or lightheaded.

It still blows my mind that there's an entire community of people just like me! I'm wanting to do Power 90 again, it's the milder form of P90x. I forced myself to do the second DVD (the one I was always terrified of) and pushed myself through the entire session without stopping. Now that I'm apparently capable of doing that, I don't see any reason not to do it every day since that DVD is the hardest one. Maybe I'll finally drop this weight! I lost 90 lbs a while back and now I need to lose the 30 that I packed back on lol