Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Can anybody help me by telling me what strategies they use to cope with their phobia..please.

I am starting therapy and it was one of the questions from the psychologist, and I just wanted your thoughts on it.

My first one that came to mind is..avoidance!

Your comments welcome.

I have tried avoidance and it does not work for me. This is a phobia that you really cant control or run away from like fear of spiders, etc. If one of my kids get sick I try to tell myself "Ok...IF I get this I will be ok...it wont last long." Sometimes I have to take an Ativan or just take a short nap because I get anxious. I just keep saying it hoping my subconscious mind will get the message.

I have been on meds and they help too.

Thanks for your reply.

The internal dialogue we use is very important.. I try and say I can handle this, I will deal with it when it happens. These thoughts are unwelcome and boring!.Or..whatever!

But if I was out in public and someone puked I would definitely avoid!!! If I could!!

Thanks again for replying - really appreciate it. You sound like you are doing quite well with it all.

I feel changing negative thoughts helps... well, I'm still trying to work on this and have just started. I tel myself that the deed is unpleasant but is not life threatening, is very unlikely to be a serious illness and I am near good medical facilities... If only I could convince myself...

I hope that helped?! [img]smileys/smilies_12.gif[/img]
    ~I don\'t know the key to success, but the key to failure is to try to please everyone~

msn:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I agree totally , we need to down play this phobia as much as possible! I find it all too consuming! Like most things laughter and keeping it in perspective help! But it likes to hang around in the old head!!!!!

Thanks very much for your reply.

Still building up my list of coping strategies!

Hey Carri. Definitely let the therapist know what strategies you're using now to cope, even if they're not healthy. They will then teach you healthy ways to cope while working on the fear.

Coping techniques before therapy: skin-scratching, lots of anti-emetics, avoidance, hot baths, distraction

Coping techniques while in therapy: hot baths, relaxation tapes, deep breathing, affirmations, thought stopping, drugs (but much less than before), distraction

It's the therapist's job to help you build up your coping repertoire! I find that affirmations work extremely well for me. When you feel yourself getting anxious, repeat a calming phrase over and over. Write it down, if you need to. My current phrase is: I am safe. I am not in danger.

Good luck with therapy.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

Hmmm... it's good to find out here what others use to cope, but like kel said, I would be sure to tell the therapist what you specifically do to cope so that s/he knows what your personal repertoire is.

Thankyou very much for your comments, I really appreciate your support.

Carri