Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while- the end of the year process is wearing this new teacher out!

So, I'm sick with this stupid cold that's going around, and Saturday
    night I barely slept at all. And then, as soon as I woke up Sunday
    morning, I knew I was going to be sick. I was at Matt's apartment and
    it was really quiet, so I was scared he'd hear me, but there was
    nothing I could do. I just went to the bathroom and got sick. Really</span>
    got sick. I barely tried to fight it off at all. It wasn't fun, but I
    was completely fine afterwards. That was at 7 am, and by 11 am, I was
    eating lunch. I even went out shopping with Matt at noon. I was a
    little nervous about going, but Matt convinced me that I'd be really
    proud of myself if I could go out like that, not hide out all day and
    be scared. We decided that it must have been from the sinus drainage
    all night from the cold. That can really upset your stomach if it's bad
    enough.

I really just wanted to post about that because it always helps me to
    hear when emetophobic people get sick and are fine afterwards. I threw
    up several times from a stomach virus last May, and I've had several
    other incidences with it since I started teaching, and each time it
    shows me that it's not as bad as I thought. Also, getting sick for real
    shows me the difference between real and anxiety nausea. Believe me,
    you'll know if you're really about to be sick. You won't have to ask
    yourself if you're *really* nauseous, or if it could just be hunger or
    something. Anyway, thanks for listening. [img]smileys/smilies_09.gif[/img]

</font>

i know EXACTLY what u mean. i can tell if im *really* going to be sick, or if its just anxiety nausea. altho, i stil can fight off the *really* going to be sick thing too.

its really good that u sound so positive over this, i think that deserves a pat on the back.

as far colds, i hate them. and thats my worst fear about them, you go to sleep and wake up having to get rid of all the mucus... eugh.

anyway, hope u feel better soon and have a good summer break after the long teaching term!!

Jen xxxxx
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn\'t be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn\'t know that so it goes on flying anyway.

AIM:X20Jenneh02x
    MSN:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm really impressed! [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]You
    seem to be coping soooo well. I am doing teacher training in
    september and the only thing i'm scared of is catching stomach bugs
    etc. How common is it to catch bugs of the kids? I think
    i'd be ok if they were sick as long as i didn't get it

</font>

Rachel
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Laughing is good exercise, it\'s like jogging on the inside!!!

Rachel - I worked in a secondary school for over 14 years, and although I wasn't a teacher I had contact with the kids, including the ill ones in the medical room (I was a lab technician and one of the school's emergency first aiders, and known to the kids as one of the 'surrogate mum' types - ie I was sympathetic and offered comfort to distressed kids, I didn't just send them away!). I never once caught a bug- there were plenty around. In a school of over 1200 pupils, there's usually one about!! Just keep up with your own hygiene, don't use the kids' toilets (stick to staff facilities) and refuse to clean up if one does get sick - it's not your job!!

Enjoy your training and yournew career - I'm sure you will love it. Teaching is an extremely rewarding job (I have done some informal teaching, especially with sixth form and low ability kids).

Best wishes

Jill xxx

Mica, congrats on being very calm about it. Sorry it had to happen to you, but you seem to have handled it quite well! Your post title is very casual, not panicking as most of us would post it as. I really think you're doing well with your emet. Would you say it's diminished after all this exposure you've had and now you getting sick yourself?

In memory of the sweetest german shepherd I ever had the pleasure of knowing. I love you, Duncan. 3/12/02 - 12/19/11

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_C&#111;ntainer height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <T>
    <TR height="100%" UNABLE="&#111;n" width="100%">
    <TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNABLE="off">

Oh wow that is awsome the way you handled it all. I found that when I was pregnant I knew the difference between my anxiety nausea and the morning sickness. I always fought off both and would sometimes still get panicky when I got anxiety nausea. The REAL it's going to happen now feeling though is pretty clear.

I only hope that I can cope as well as you did when my time comes. You have inspired me to at least try next time not to panick (maybe just let it happen) We'll see. </TD></TR>
    <TR UNABLE="&#111;n" hb_tag="1">
    <TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNABLE="&#111;n">
    <DIV id=hotbar_promo></DIV></TD></TR></T></TABLE>
    Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you\'ve never been hurt and live like it\'s heaven on Earth.

Hey there!!

I know what you mean about real vs not real nausea. You pretty much know the difference after youve had real nausea. Im proud of you for handling that so well!! Just don't let it destroy your dreams of being a teacher. I mean think of this as like gettin past the sicknesses, and soon you will have an AMAZING immune system.

OMG. Now I fear colds too because they are making everyone v. Sorry to be so selfish. :'(
    <font size=\"2\"><font color=red>aol/aim screename: kraziqtashes&lt;br&gt;
    dontwannabeme17
    </font></font>

Quote Originally Posted by mystikal star

OMG. Now I fear colds too because they are making everyone v. Sorry to be so selfish. :'(

I know what you mean.

Well done for coping though, it seems like you are handling things really well since teaching. Its great to hear from somebody who feels better afterwards too.

\"You are beautiful, no matter what they say \"
    \"Too many Years, fighting back tears, why can\'t the past just die? Try to forgive, teach me to live, give me the strength to try\"

WOW! You are so brave! I'm sorry you were sick but geez you handled it well! I'm proud of you! And then to eat and go shopping after! That is amazing!

Mystikal, your'e not selfish. I think it's normal for us to say "oh no someone else was sick from thsi or that I will be too next time" You won't. Reread the post, she said she didnt' really even fight it first of all and also not everybody gets sick froma cold. Some do but not everyone, if you havent' int he past the odds of it happeneing to you next time you get a cold are mostly nonexistant!
    \"As soon as you trust yourself,you will know how to live.\"
    Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    \"Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.\"
    Benjamin Franklin

I dont understand it. ive had SO many colds and never once felt nauseous. I mean the last one i had i could barely stop blowing my nose for more than 2 seconds.

im scared now that colds can make you sick like that. sigh. i can't help it. anxiety going into overtime here.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

Please don't be scared that a cold will make you sick.
    That's the first time in my life that's happened, and I woke up in the
    middle of the night and took an extra dose of cold medicine, so I think
    that made me drain more. Plus, you probably won't be sick if something
    else besides the mucus (sorry to be gross) is in your stomach. It's
    just that mine was totally empty except for a bunch of drainage.

Rachel, congrats on becoming a teacher!!! What grade? Oh, I'm so
    excited for you! If you ever want to talk, IM or email me. As for the
    stomach bugs, I know I've caught one this year, but it didn't make me
    throw up, I just felt like I was going to one day. Plus, I used to
    think I'd freak if some kid got sick in front of me, but it's happened
    a few times this year. I wasn't really great about it, but I didn't
    have a panic attack or anything and I got through it. So I know you
    won't have any problems. [img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

Jo, I really do think that the exposure is helping me so much. I mean,
    I don't know why I'm scared of it, but every time I get near it and I
    am ok afterwards, it proves to me that there is nothing to be afraid
    of. I'm still scared, but it's improving. Maybe I'll never be
    completely non-emet, but I can try to make things bearable. Anyway, I'm
    so glad that everyone on here is so great about it. I really can't get
    over how supportive everyone is. It's so wonderful- thanks to everyone
    for the encouraging comments.

</font>

Quote Originally Posted by Babydoll

I dont understand it. ive had SO many colds and never once felt nauseous. I mean the last one i had i could barely stop blowing my nose for more than 2 seconds.

im scared now that colds can make you sick like that. sigh. i can't help it. anxiety going into overtime here.

Yeah, it happens. But rarely. I was really sick with a cold/flu (influenza!) and my throat was killing me. Everytime I'd try to clear it, it would feel like glass cutting my throat, so I'd steam, and try and lift the mucus (ew sorry), then I'd cough, gag, heave. That's the only reason I almost threw up with a cold. It's cause of the mucus.

I think most colds are harmless, it's the ones where you are really really congested (such as with influenza).