Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Long time without V

Hi all...I was just wondering how long it has been since you last did the V? I have been putting it off for 46 years now, but I still fear it so much...MAybe the longer you go without doing it, the scarier it gets

Default Re: Long time without V

46 years, jeez! That's probably the longest streak on here. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have kids?

i think with a lot of people, if its been a long time, the fear of the unknown definitely plays a big part in perpetuating the phobia.

Almost 24 years...!

4 months ago and it was only the once. I think the longer it's been, the more scarier it gets whereas if you do it on a regular basis, it's not as scary.

46 years, that's amazing!!!! For me, it has been 22 years (I'm 33)....but I did get noro when I was 27 and went through the motions of v*'ing but nothing came up because my stomach was empty. It was AWFUL though, I coudlnt' take a breath, so scary. I have 3 kids and have caught noro from them 2/3 times, but did not v* any of the times.

19 years for me since I dry heaved and 30 years since I actually v. I hope it's a loooong time more! I do agree though. I'm willing to bet the longer you go, the more scared you become. My wife for instance did it twice last year. She's non-emet and most definitely does not enjoy it, but it doesn't scare her. She just finds it to be very unpleasant.

Quote Originally Posted by Elski View Post
    46 years, jeez! That's probably the longest streak on here. How old are you, if you don't mind me asking? Do you have kids?

i think with a lot of people, if its been a long time, the fear of the unknown definitely plays a big part in perpetuating the phobia.

Yep, not a problem, I am 53 and have 2 adult kids

My streak is 37 years (see my signature), and there are at least two others on IES with streaks even longer than yours, MagpieSue. One occasionally posting member has been puke free since August 17, 1965. There is one other even longer than hers who doesn't post often. I am in another emet group with someone who has been puke free since June 12, 1935.

Welcome! We take strength in your endurance. You can take strength in ours.

Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2 years. Last time I v was in July 2011 and that is when my phobia started
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

16 year for me! I have had morning sickness, and catch the SV nearly every year. & i think you are right about it seeming scarier the longer you go wiithout it. Just like anything else.
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

Lol like 5 months. Though the act of vomiting doewnt scare me that much, it's more the buildup

Quote Originally Posted by Elski View Post

I am 55 and it has now been 48 years...I have 2 grown kids

Its been exactly 2 years. Last time was this time of year in 2013. I have had a few close calls since then, but haven't actually really v*.
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

Actually 30 years ago yesterday was the last time for me. Hope I make it as long as you, magpiesue!

It was 17 years. ..until march 2015 thanks to what i assume was a bad sandwich. So now 9 months.

I'd say you get scared as more time goes on but id be lying. In my case I got worse, guess,I just feel more vulnerable now

Definitely the longer you go without doing it the more terror you create around it. I believe this relates to the fact that without experiencing it and avoiding the dreaded act you continue to fabricate and create unrealistic fear about it. Which then makes it even worse in your mind. I remember when I first became a member on the board many years ago , a member got over her emet through hyper emesis in pregnancy. I would prefer not to face vomiting but it can be a gift if you have the right mindset. It can help some overcome their fears especially with repeated times doing it.

I vomited a week ago for the first time in 10 years. You're right there Flowerchild, vomiting can only help this phobia 'if you have the right mindset'. I don't know if my experience will help me or not, I'm still in shock.

It'll make 9 years for me in March. But I constantly worry how long my streak will last.

18 years. Nov 1998.

That was when I was 6.

4 years, unlike most people on here I seem to get svs quite often *yay*, before that I was sick at least once per year!! Blah. And no it doesn't get easier when you have it more frequently; in my opinion it makes it worse!!

2008 was the last time I v*, so about 8 years! I caught a bad case of FP 2 years ago but didn't v*. But I'm always worried it could happen any time

Quote Originally Posted by magpiesue View Post
    Hi all...I was just wondering how long it has been since you last did the V? I have been putting it off for 46 years now, but I still fear it so much...MAybe the longer you go without doing it, the scarier it gets
    That's certainly true, with any phobia more exposure often helps the fear to diminish where avoidance makes the fear stronger. I was sick a few years ago, but my phobia is of my family being ill, not myself. V* isn't that big of a deal to me as long as I'm the one doing it. Weird, I know.

Actual v*'ing.....22 years ago. However, I caught the sv* 9 years ago and was dry heaving and would have v*d if there'd been anything in my stomach....I went through all the motions of getting sick but nothing came up. I have had many sv*'s since then (thanks to my kids!!), but I haven't v*d from any of them....just d*.

It's been 4 years for me. Of that time I spent about 1 year being super cautious and 3 of those years not being careful at all (except basic hygiene) so I'm not so sure how much my 1 year of extreme caution actually had anything to do with it.

I agree with you about the longer is goes the scarier it becomes. I was so afraid before I got sick last time but was also so exhausted from fighting it for hours so I just let myself do it, thought "that wasn't so bad," and had no fear for a while. Sadly the fear did return and even got stronger for a while but I've done a lot of work, including re-living the experience over and over again to make it less/not scary at all.

It's been 3 months for me... Before that, I went 12 years. That episode 3 months ago was so scary. I think about it everyday.

Seven years since I very very very nearly done it and fourteen years this year since I actually did it. The reason I didn't quite do it seven years ago was cos for some AMAZING/strange reason my body wouldn't quite 'let' anything out of my throat, sorry for trigger. But that was a nasty winter flu which gets me every year but doesn't quite circulate to my stomach which I'm very happy about.

14 years ago I can remember clear, luckily I was at home and went downstairs aged 9 feeling horrendous and I remember ALOT from that night, it got me terribly. Funny how our child-minds are ALOT more rational and simple though. I just remember thinking "mum. Turn the light on. It's gonna happen" urgh, so grim......

Anyway, after the 2009 episode I lost a good stone in about six months but I think I was quite confident in what I was doing but as Ash mentioned, I fear that feeling everyday!