Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Hybrid View

Default What do you think?

Just got a text off my daughter saying the woman she cares for overnight has been v* and has d* since wednesday. Just to clarify my daughter cares for elderly/disabled people in their own homes. Every friday night she does a night sit for this lady but tonight she is ill. Apparantly the dr came out to see her on wednesday & said if she was no better by today they would probably admit her to hospital. A different dr came to see her today but he said she didnt need to be hospitalized. Part of me feels so sorry for this poor lady who hasnt got much quality of life on a good day never mind having to cope with this but then my emet side is freaking out. Almost certainly my daughter will have to clean up the d* ( the lady has to wear pads) and also hold a bowl for the lady to v* into. I feel I dont stand a chance of not catching it if my daughter does catch whatever she has. We live in a house with only one bathroom. I just feel like crying at moment.

Default Re: What do you think?

Since she's had it for so long, I doubt it is sv, but rather something else. I'm sure your daughter is very hygienic when she deals with the old dear and everything will be fine. Poor old gal. I find it helps to focus on the suffering of the sick person instead of my own discomfort. I'm really proud of you for mentioning her feelings before your own. You're getting there.

Dont be too be proud despite my feeling really bad for her I will be spending a lot of time focusing on my daughter and myself. I am ashamed of that side of me cos no matter how much sympathy I feel for someone who is v* the over riding fear is PLEASE DONT LET ME GET IT!!!

We all struggle with similar fears. You're right, it's miserable for this poor lady. I have to agree though, I doubt it's a sv*. Where would she have caught it? Doesn't sound like she goes out, so where would it have come from? I've known a lot of older individuals who struggle with abnormal v*ing from time to time. The older they are the more likely it is to happen. Sad, but true.

No matter what, in your daughter's profession I am sure that she's washing up well. Anyone caring for the elderly learns to do that. I'm not saying this out of disrespect, but just as an honest individual, cleaning up someone's d* pads would cause ANYONE to scrub up their hands! I really think you're going to be ok! Really, I do!

Thanks to you both for your replies. Just as I managed to convince myself that it was unlikely to be a sv her elderly sister who lives with her had several bouts of d* from 4.30 am this morning too. My daughter did use latex gloves to empty the commode but Ive read how the virus can spread. I feel like Im on a countdown to a nightmare. Oh well Im gonna try & stay as calm as possible but knowing me Im not gonna be able to stop the crazy thoughts. Wish me luck please