Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Feeling constant fear!

I am always feeling scared, even if theres no triggers, I always manage to convince myself I will V* or that I do feel ill, and sometimes I actually feel nauseous but normally nothing happens (like V*) unless im actually ill. I can almost always tell when I have an actual bug, but ever since my last bug in early July, I always feel grotty and just like im ill and will V* later (sometimes its not that intense) But I always feel grotty like I need fresh air and like I have been stuck inside all day watching telly. I go out alot but the feeling almost always there, and fear of it turning into somthing comes with it! Any ideas of how to stop this? Thanks

Default Re: Feeling constant fear!

Hey! I know how you feel. I thought I was becoming a hypochondriac because of a constant nausea that caused me to cut out caffeine, greasy and spicy foods and even some foods that were bland. It took a while to realize that I may have a stomach problem but it was mostly based on my anxiety surrounding my fear. Maybe this is true for you, maybe not. Something that REALLY helped me is working hard to rationalize and breathing in through my nose deeply and slow and out through my mouth. At first, when people suggested the breathing exercises, it nade mecangry because sometimes the panic would just seize me. I was convinced that it was sickness taking over even if it was just general tummy discomfort. I would automatically assume I was sick. It may take a while for you as it did me but ...for me...it was a combination of PRAYING HARD lol, ( not trying to force my beliefs on anyone, just giving credit where credit is due breathing, and eventually accepting help from a small dose of anxiety meds, ( also a gift) to start to understand what was really giving me issue. The anxiety may have done a number on your tummy. My mom, who has a very sensitive tum, swears by liquid aloe which you can drink by the glass. You can find it at any local health store. Also, a good over the counter tummy med is meclizine. I buy 25mg and they work fantastically. They are typically used for motion sickness but the youth pastor at my church used to be a pharmacy tech and since I was taking it almost every day for a while last yeat, I asked about long term side effects. He said meclizine is not adrug that lingers in your body and so doesn't tend to build up in your system. I hope this info has proved helpful at some point, I don't know ya but I feel love for anyone that has to go through anything like that. You'll be in my prayers. I know what constant fear is like. If you have any questions or concerns, let me know. I've been working through some of this for nearly two years. I've had the phobia since 3rd grade.

I'm not sure it submitted my comment...lol. hmm... I suppose it's worth repeating or maybe it needs to be reviewed. I'm new to the forum.

I guess not. Lol. Well, anyhoo. I know how you feel. About a year and a half ago, I started experiencing tummy troubles on a regular basis. I didn't consider that it was anxiety based. I think I may have developed an ulcer, which, my doctor put me on prilosec otc and it helped but also try liquid aloe or an overthecounter drug that is extremely safe called meclizine. Our youth pastor used to be a pharmacy tech and bc at the time I was taking it almost daily, I asked him about possible longterm side effects. He said it's a med that doesn't linger in your organs so it doesn't tend to build up in your system. Your body basically flushes it out. At one time, even somewhat bland foods upset me because I wasn't staying calm. I learned to breath deep and slow in thriugh my nose and out through my mouth. At first, I got angry when people suggested breathing bc it seemed ridiculous because they had no idea how quickly it sprung on me. There were days when a minor discomfort would spark a series of events including shaking, sweats, chills, nausea, lightheadedness, and sometimes blacking out. Never get sick in panic attacks though. I get what you're saying. It sounds like me . I finally figured out they were panic attacks. I'm not one for taking medication, especially the antidepressants bc some cause tum discomfort. However, yiu may want to ask your doctor about lexapro. I've tested many others and my doctor knew nausea was a big issue for me...I tried celexa, never tried prozac although it was prescribed to me lol, and finally landed on said lexapro. It's pricey but if indeed you are suffering from panic, you should tell your doctor. I can't tell you how much good it did me. There's nothing wrong with taking meds when you need them. Only you can decide what's best for you. I will say though, once I got used to breathing correctly, it was like organic crack to me lol. Think positive thoughts. If you ever need me to help you rationalize with your thoughts, I'm here. I know what it's like.II've dissected every positive thought that non fearers dare throw at me lol. I hope this has offered some help. ? See your doctor, I think it will help. It really sounds like what I was going through. I've been working through these issues on and off since 2nd or 3rd grade so...let me know if I can help in any way. Again, not pushing my beliefs on anyone, but prayer really works for me, not just calming affect but there's a peace I've experienced after praying and when others pray for me and you are in my prayers. I Don't know ya, but I love and respect anyone that has the strength to deal these things. Keep me updated. Oh, remember...you're not crazy.

Ah, it's still not posting. In short, you may be having panic attacks. That was the case for me, consult your doc and you'll be in my prayers! I reacted the same way.

Remember to breathe in through your nose and out through your mouth.

I'm the same way. I have some kind of generalized anxiety about vomiting in between my full on panic attacks. It's because vomiting can happen for any number of reasons and come on suddenly or with little warning and I always think I can't handle it if it happens so I'm always on guard, living like I have a stalker following me around - even around my home. No place is safe because there's no place I can be 100% sure I won't vomit. If I had a fear of flying I could choose to never get on a plane and be fine. But how does one possibly avoid EVERYTHING that might cause vomiting? There's no escape so for me there's never a time when I feel perfectly calm and safe.

So we are pretty similar huh? Well the thing that realllly scares me is that I always feel nauseous too so I dont know the diffrence when its real or fake. Im housebound and I hate itttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

I feel n* every single day. I don't know if it's anxiety or I imagine it. And when I do feel it I always think it's a bug because the n* feels so real

I have been there. It's gotta be anxiety and or panic attacks. The mind can do some crazy things when it comes to fear. Anxiety and panic attacks can cause N* and D* even without the phobia, so if you're phobic of getting ill it's a million times worse. One can trigger the other and it turns into a vicious cycle. Sometimes it's feeling ill that causes the anxiety, and sometimes it's anxiety that causes you to feel ill. It's so awful. I can be fine one second and then BOOM I'll start to panic. I did so well for quite a while recognizing when it was my anxiety, and calming myself down and then I would feel better. But it has been a crazy few months. So I'll have a panic attack, feel n* and go nuts, pacing, cold sweats, shaking etc. Then I will finally calm myself a little bit and then stupid me I will think "whew my stomach feels better" and then BOOM the panic is back. I always read that panic attacks are only supposed to last 2-5 minutes. Yeah those are for people who don't have emetophobia. Cause my cycle can go on for hours. n*, panic, feel better, think about feeling better, panic, n*, feel better and it goes on. Only suggestion I have is to try and control the awful cycles that come with this awful phobia. Good thoughts, relaxing things. I try and put on a funny show, or listen to rain sounds. Give my brain something else to do besides panic about feeling ill.

Quote Originally Posted by MaybeBaby View Post
    I have been there. It's gotta be anxiety and or panic attacks. The mind can do some crazy things when it comes to fear. Anxiety and panic attacks can cause N* and D* even without the phobia, so if you're phobic of getting ill it's a million times worse. One can trigger the other and it turns into a vicious cycle. Sometimes it's feeling ill that causes the anxiety, and sometimes it's anxiety that causes you to feel ill. It's so awful. I can be fine one second and then BOOM I'll start to panic. I did so well for quite a while recognizing when it was my anxiety, and calming myself down and then I would feel better. But it has been a crazy few months. So I'll have a panic attack, feel n* and go nuts, pacing, cold sweats, shaking etc. Then I will finally calm myself a little bit and then stupid me I will think "whew my stomach feels better" and then BOOM the panic is back. I always read that panic attacks are only supposed to last 2-5 minutes. Yeah those are for people who don't have emetophobia. Cause my cycle can go on for hours. n*, panic, feel better, think about feeling better, panic, n*, feel better and it goes on. Only suggestion I have is to try and control the awful cycles that come with this awful phobia. Good thoughts, relaxing things. I try and put on a funny show, or listen to rain sounds. Give my brain something else to do besides panic about feeling ill.

Thats a good idea, and I do that when im home, but when im out and about it wont stop going round in circles like you described, and when im at home nausea is not a frequent as when im out, so i stay at home. And its boring. Im working on it
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

It's always in the back of my mind but gets much worse during norovirus season. Seeing Facebook posts and news reports about sick people just ramps the fear up so much.

The answer to your question is what we are all looking for. My current temporary fix is to basically tell my phobia to f off. Trying to convince myself that I'm not sick and it is all in my head is the best I can do. Doesn't always work, but when it does I'm very proud.

Quote Originally Posted by rph1011 View Post
    The answer to your question is what we are all looking for. My current temporary fix is to basically tell my phobia to f off. Trying to convince myself that I'm not sick and it is all in my head is the best I can do. Doesn't always work, but when it does I'm very proud.
    I will keep that in mind My friend has anxiety for other things and she can afford therapists etc, and he said to her to imagine how the fear looks and dont let it into your head when you see it coming. Load of crap that doesnt work :P
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears