Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Please help me!

I can't believe myself, I completely panicked! I've had a cold for the last
    week now and I managed to make myself go to school (I'm 16 years old)
    so I wouldn't be so behind, now I wish I just stayed in bed. I was in my
    first period class, Law and everyone around me was sick, but I was okay
    with it because it's just a cold. Then, right outside the classroom
    somebody v*ed I saw it, and heard it and I just flipped. My friend said I
    looked like I wasn't feeling to well and all I remember is being dizzy and I
    started to feel sick, which made me panic even more so I asked to go
    outside for a minute, I still wasn't doing to good and I just went home. So
    here I am, completely shaken up and I don't know what to do. I'm afraid
    to go back tomorrow as this flu is going around and I'm terrified of
    getting it. I know I can't avoid it forever, but as most of you know, this is
    causing me a great deal of anxiety right now. My dad says I should make
    an appointment with the doctor and discuss my emetophobia, but what
    do I tell him? and for right now, how am I suppose to calm down and how
    do I get to school tomorrow without having another anxiety attack?

Your dad is right. You definitely should get help as soon as possible. The longer you wait the harder it is to get over this. When I told my doctor they kind of just blew me off. I knew I needed to see a psychologist and asked for a recommendation but they were never firm about anything. I finally took it into my own hands and on my insurance company's website I found someone who specializes in phobias and she has been great. I definitely think I am on the road to recovery. I still panic, but not as often nor as severe.

As far as going back to school, how long have you been out? It probably wouldn't hurt to wait a couple of days, but if you have to go back just make sure you keep your hands very clean. Do not touch your mouth, nose or face at all without washing your hands. Be careful not to share anything with anyone else that might be sick including food, drinks, or even pencils, just to be on the safe side. I always avoiding using the bathrooms at school since they probably contain the most "germs." Make sure you get plenty of rest, eat properly and drink lots of water. You can also take supplemnets to boost your immune system (probably wouldn't hurt with your cold anyway) like vitamin C and echinacea.

Hang in there! It won't last forever!

Thanks for your reply sillygirl and as much as I am nervous about going to
    my doctor about this, I will give it a try and see if he can help.

I left school this morning and it's 10:40am where I live so it's only been
    about an hour. I'm still a little shaky about this morning but I've calmed
    down quite a bit. I'm going to try to go back tomorrow but I know it's going
    to be so hard, especially that one class where it happened because I'll be
    thinking about it now. We have 965 students in one school and everywhere
    you walk people are coughing and spreading the germs.

I know how you feel. My high school had about 1800 people and you were pretty much plastered against each other walking down the hall between classes. My emet was not very bad at that time so it never really bothered me, but thinking about it now makes me wonder how I made it through. And with all of that, I never caught a sv during that time, so there is hope!

It was really hard the first time I talked to my doctor too. Just remember that they are medical professionals and unlike some friends or family members who may not take it seriously, they will. The first time is the hardest, but after that it gets easier. You will do great, I'm sure!

Be sure to go to the Treatments thread and print out the document called INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY when you go see your doctor. This will really help him or her understand.

ps: where are you in Canada?
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote Originally Posted by sage

Be sure to go to the Treatments thread and print out
    the document called INFO TO GIVE YOUR DR. OR FAMILY when you go see
    your doctor.* This will really help him or her understand.

ps:* where are you in Canada?
    I printed it out, thanks. I live in Northern Ontario.

My dad read the print-out and basically told me he doesn't think there is
    a cure but that I'm just going to have to live with it for the rest of my life
    and he thinks HE can help me 'live with it'. I don't think so, I find he adds
    to my anxiety as he doesn't understand what it's like. I don't know what
    caused him to change his mind or thinking on this, but the decision is
    still up to me to see the doctor.

and I am dreading going to school tomorrow [img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]