Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Worried about a party

I am meant to be going to a party tomorrow night from 7-11 and everyone there will be of the age of 15 and 16, girls and guys. I am nearly 15, I'm a girl and I'm terrified because although I love my friends and they know about my emetophobia, there will be alcohol and I am starting to panic about how I will cope if any of my friends drink too much and get sick. When it happens I can't help it, I just run away as fast as I can. I have occasionally run across roads and into strangers' gardens, and then I have panic attacks. The party is taking place at my friend's house but he lives half an hour away and my parents are going out for the evening so I wouldn't be able to get picked up if anything went wrong. I don't know what to do because I don't want to miss out but I don't want to cause any trouble for my friends.

Default Re: Worried about a party

I have no idea where you're from, but if you're American, drinking at your age is illegal. Rather than risk getting in trouble with the law, just stay home or do something that does not involve drinking with friends. There are about a million things that can go wrong at a teenaged drinking party. I promise you there will be hundreds of chances to party when you are of legal age.

I think the party is a recipe for disaster. If you do decide to go, here are some things you need to know:
    1. Do not put your drink down. Anyone can place drugs in your drink.
    2. Watch out for any punch bowls filled with who knows what. They can affect your judgement quickly. One or 2 drinks could get you drunk if it is strong enough.
    3. Esp if you are a girl, realize that you have to surround yourself with people you trust when you are drinking. Many a girl has become a victim of date rape in that situation.
    4. Do not drink and drive. Following someone home that is drunk does make anyone safer. People who drink and drive wind up dead or killing others.
    5. Decide what you are gonna do if you are offered drugs at this party before you go.

Is peer pressure affecting your decision? Figure out the crowd you want to hang with. If you are not comfy being around drinking, then find a new crowd to hang with.

Good luck.
    Last edited by Cynna; 12-19-2013 at 03:39 PM.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

Quote Originally Posted by Cynna View Post
    I think the party is a recipe for disaster. If you do decide to go, here are some things you need to know:
    1. Do not put your drink down. Anyone can place drugs in your drink.
    2. Watch out for any punch bowls filled with who knows what. They can affect your judgement quickly. One or 2 drinks could get you drunk if it is strong enough.
    3. Esp if you are a girl, realize that you have to surround yourself with people you trust when you are drinking. Many a girl has become a victim of date rape in that situation.
    4. Do not drink and drive. Following someone home that is drunk does make anyone safer. People who drink and drive wind up dead or killing others.
    5. Decide what you are gonna do if you are offered drugs at this party before you go.

Is peer pressure affecting your decision? Figure out the crowd you want to hang with. If you are not comfy being around drinking, then find a new crowd to hang with.

Good luck.
    This is really good advice very well put Cynna!

You're obviously not American. Just remember that drunk puke is not contagious. You can't catch anything from someone who's drunking because they're puke. Being around drunk puke can even help your emetophobia by desensitizing yourself to vomit. I would suggest you not drink yourself, especially because you're only 14. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hey darlin! Well, I'm 18, so I know about the whole party thing. First, please please be safe. Second, it is illegal, but I do it too so I can't tell you not to go. The first party I went to, I was so nervous. But it actually turned out to be really fun. I do drink some times, but not around a lot of people, just people I can trust, close friends, family. I think if I had drank at my first party I would have been a wreck!!! If you do drink, make sure you eat first. And eat A LOT. Sip very very slowly, and don't have anything more than a beer or something along those lines. And remember, you can always "Get a call you need to answer" and go for a walk. I know a lot of people won't agree with this, but going out more has actually helped this phobia. And honestly, later on in life you're always gonna feel like you missed out if you don't do some "Teenager stuff" I'm not saying get crazy, always be safe AND smart. But just relax. I promise it'll be ok *Hugs*

Cynna said it all perfectly!

Party's get me too. When my friends get too drunk and get sick, I find comfort in the fact that they won't make ME sick. Alcohol sickness is not viral, so it's not something I have to worry about catching. Now if exposure to the big V is enough to upset you, then I don't think this is worth the risk. You're friends aren't gonna go anywhere just because you didn't go to a party.

Cynna pretty much sums up the legalities of going to this party and how to stay safe.

In terms of people puking when they are drunk, i used to be wary of it as well. Now that I have been to many mannnyy parties, you kind of get used to it and realise its not going to infect you nor is it necessarily a bad thing - better they puke then get poisoned. I know its not easy, but sometimes exposing yourself to these situations makes it easier. I have cleaned many people up and dealt with the drunken vomit any times, it causes me no anxiety now because I had to make a decision - did I want to be a good friend or a good emetophobe? I know it sounds insane, but think of it as exposure therapy.