Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Must I really vomit, or is it just anxiety?

Hi,
    I'm new in the forum.
    I've been emetophobic for 12~13 long years. I haven't experienced nausea or retching for about 11 years. I was often in anxious statuses, but I haven't had any real sympton of vomit. Last 4~5 years it was getting better, I had a normal life (I was anxoius only when I was in contact with someone who felt sick).
    This year, after smoking weed (it was not the first time), I experienced some strange symptoms. Tehy was similar to retches, but I didn't vomit in one day of these strange retches. I call them "strange" because I felt a really high pressure in the stomach, which was literally "lifted upwards"; however, even though I tryed to vomit the first time it happened, nothing came out of my mouth. It's like the retches were only in the stomach, but not in the throat, so there wasn't enough "boost". I spend an entire day with this terrible sensation, but I didn't vomit.
    A couple of months later, I smoked again (yes, I'm really an idiot)... my body had the same reaction, and I definitely quit smoking. Again, I didn't throw up.

I thought it was simply a bad reaction to the smoke, but when it happened again with apparently no reason (for example while doing sport, or while walking), I fell into an abyss of anxiety. I can't figure out what can it be.
    Randomly (about one time per month) I feel a lot of air in my stomach; after that, I experience a high pressure in the stomach, with the diaphragm pushing upwards, and a sense of "void" inside the abdomen, but no vomit. It's all really similar to the sensations I had when I vomited 12 years ago, but now I don't vomit. If I sit down and crouch forwards, I feel better, while if I stand up and walk, these strange retches increase. It also seems like the colon is "locked", as if air couldn't pass through it. After one of these episodes, I also had a bad constipation for about 10 days. It happened always before eating; but once happened, it's almost impossible for me to eat (phisically and psychologically). However, I don't have any sort of pain.

I'm getting more and more anxoius, because now I don't know when it could happen again, neither I can't figure out if it's something REAL, phisical, or if it's jus my mind. Last time it happened while I was driving for a long trip, and it was really, really bad. I'm getting anxious every time I drive.

I'd really want to know what is happening to me. Is our mind strong enough to do this? Or is it possible I have a particular syndrome or something like that?

Default Re: Must I really vomit, or is it just anxiety?

Welcome to the forum. Now leave the forum. I will gove you advice on this ONE issue but DO NOT go and read any others! It has made my emet SO much worse, and I was warned by another emet when I firs joined, not to read them but I did anyways and I regret it.
    Please go to the doc about this, and keep a food diary of a month of 2 every day everything you eat and drink. Then on the days u feel like this look back at it and think hmmm lets see now... what did I eat this day thats diffrent or you know stuff like that. See a doctor about it, it could be some acid reflux or somthing serious but I doubt it, just go see your GP. I doubt its a 'syndrome' its probably an intoleracne to somehing you are eating. When you sayy that u get bad constipation that makes me think intolerance. Please go see your GP about this issue. Merry Christmas!
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

Hi, welcome to the forum. Nobody here can diagnose you so please go see a doctor to rule out anything physical. Could it be anxiety? Sure - anxiety causes all kinds of "weird" symptoms. Rule out anything physical first though.

It sounds very much like Acid Reflux and Trappd Gastric Wind (Gas) to me. You have probably forgot what real nausea and vomiting is like (most emetophobics do). The sensation you having is due to the fact your stomach is full of air. Leaning forward move that pocket of air up which gets expelled through your mouth. As it is uncontrollable it makes alot of people think its similar to vomiting, but I guarentee that it is not. Would it be fair to say that you also have an inability to burp/belch properly. Do you have what I can only describe as a croak coming up every so often?

I don't have the "croak" coming up often... I can burp properly, especially after eating. The first time I encountered this problem, it happened after a burp.

I had acid reflux about 4 months ago... I waked up in the middle of the night after a nightmare where I was going to throw up. When I woke up, I could feel stuff coming over the cardias (but without any retch). I got up and I felt better. But that was the only time in my entire life, and it was caused by coffee (I never drink coffe... but that day I did, and at empty stomach). During this period instead, I don't have heartburn or pain, which are typical of acid reflux.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_91 View Post
    I don't have the "croak" coming up often... I can burp properly, especially after eating. The first time I encountered this problem, it happened after a burp.

I had acid reflux about 4 months ago... I waked up in the middle of the night after a nightmare where I was going to throw up. When I woke up, I could feel stuff coming over the cardias (but without any retch). I got up and I felt better. But that was the only time in my entire life, and it was caused by coffee (I never drink coffe... but that day I did, and at empty stomach). During this period instead, I don't have heartburn or pain, which are typical of acid reflux.
    You may do well in getting an allergy test at your local doctors, if sounds like you may be allergic to certain foods or weed as well in your case. This can happen to the best of us, and its better to know what we allergic too. Even if you are allergic to say coffee, it doesnt mean you are always going to get ill from it, however it does help to know so if you do feel ill, you can be a bit calmer about it.

well first off, stop smoking the wacky tobaccy. I do think weed is your friend

as others said, I'd recommend a dr. It sounds more like a muscle spasm/anxiety/reflux issue than a v. usually if you are going to v, there is n at least...not just a muscle contraction. I may be wrong, but if it just the physical feeling than I bet it is something different.

I don't think avoiding the board is a good idea as someone recommended, but read parts that you feel comfortable. most people post "trigger" or something in the heading and you can also hover your mouse over titles of threads to read the first few sentences so gauge whether you want to read that post. I hope that made sense.

I find that reading some threads (parent ones) help me as I have a little one. I do not read ones regarding travel or the UK because I am not from there and I am agoraphobic. Avoidance isn't really the answer, but exposure has to be done at a pace you feel comfortable with.

Welcome. I have been on for a few years and took about a 6 month break but am back. Many of us come and go, long spurts on, then long breaks for whatever reason. I have found great comort from this group during truly scary and anxiety filled days of my life. I hope you find the same comfort.

Quote Originally Posted by mdgirl1977 View Post
    well first off, stop smoking the wacky tobaccy. I do think weed is your friend

as others said, I'd recommend a dr. It sounds more like a muscle spasm/anxiety/reflux issue than a v. usually if you are going to v, there is n at least...not just a muscle contraction. I may be wrong, but if it just the physical feeling than I bet it is something different.

I don't think avoiding the board is a good idea as someone recommended, but read parts that you feel comfortable. most people post "trigger" or something in the heading and you can also hover your mouse over titles of threads to read the first few sentences so gauge whether you want to read that post. I hope that made sense.

I find that reading some threads (parent ones) help me as I have a little one. I do not read ones regarding travel or the UK because I am not from there and I am agoraphobic. Avoidance isn't really the answer, but exposure has to be done at a pace you feel comfortable with.

Welcome. I have been on for a few years and took about a 6 month break but am back. Many of us come and go, long spurts on, then long breaks for whatever reason. I have found great comort from this group during truly scary and anxiety filled days of my life. I hope you find the same comfort.
    I suggested to leave the forum. Yes some people do put 'triggering' as a title but what I mean is people will sometimes write something that they do not even consider or I would just pick up a fear from one of theirs. Obviously if you need support then post but reading the others posts does not help any case
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

The forum has its good points and bad points. There have been countless threads on this very topic and the board can be used in an unhealthy way or it can be used to move forward, its all in how your perspective and what you take from the other posters. Some are further along in recovery than others. Ive been around for 9 years (almost 10) and in that time my emet started out pretty bad, and has gradually gotten much better. At the worst of times I was on here looking for support and those who understood how I was feeling. It got me through some rough moments. Now that my emet is much better, I don't really visit (only because emet isn't on my mind) and when I do I post rarely.

avioding triggers related to emet (such as the board) would be considered part of avoidance. Avoidance just feeds into the fear and makes it stronger. After a while, you kind of learn which posts are helpful (such as coping with anxiety or talking to people who understand) and which posts are not helpful (reassurance posts).

I'm not saying I'm completely over emet, and I probably never will be. I have learned to manage the phobia so that I control it and not the other way around. A HUGE part of this was learning that I can reassure myself, and not to rely on others to tell me I'm ok. I still talk to myself when I'm feeling sick and people around me probably think I'm a bit crazy haha. I've also learned to deal with facts and not the "what ifs". I realized that in 80 years I want to have lived and not let my anxiety run my life. Life is too short for that!

bottom line - please don't aviod the board. I've learned a lot here. I've also learned a lot elsewhere(did my undergrad in Psych and Bio). This board should only be used as one part of the healing process.

to the op - I would definitely visit your doctor and see what's up. The other posters have offered some great suggestions but only a professional will be able to tell for sure.
    ~*Jill*~ Teacher, Advanced BSc in Psychology

"You can unlock any door as long as you have the right key". Mrs. Brisby, Secret of Nimh

You are anxious and this is what happens to your guts when you experience anxiety. It is pretty typical of emets to feel the "sensation" of vomiting without needing to as we are so focused on our stomach area. I would say the pot has made you anxious (also a typical side effect - anxiety and paranoia). Try not to smoke it in future if this happens. I know a person who got schizophrenia from smoking weed too often and suffering from mental health issues like anxiety and depression. While it might seem like a release or escape, it probably isnt a good idea in the long run. I'm not one to talk though, occasionally I do it but don't make it a habit.

The strange thing is that I've been emet for 12 years, and in the first years I was much more anxious, but I had never experienced that sensation of vomiting. I had panic attacks, but years later I realized I didn't have PHISICAL symptoms... only fear and anxiety.

Now it's different. I feel something physical is happening inside of me. I admit that the anxiety is making it worse, but it's still a physical symptom (I quitted smoking, and I'll never do it again for sure).