Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default The waiting period to get sick

My greatest fear at the moment is being really close with someone who very soon after falls ill with some sort of stomach bug.. It hasn't happened to me yet but i am so scared, I know how bad the fear can get for me. I get anxiety attacks and shake unctrollably if I even feel sick.
    I just can't stand that 'waiting' period, not knowing whether or not you will fall ill, it's honestly the most frightening thing... I wonder if people who have been in situations like that could offer any help? What It was like ? How you deal with it ?
    Like for example being in the house when a family member falls sick with a stomach flu? I've never had to deal with this so far but don't know how I would cope if I did!!!

Default Re: The waiting period to get sick

It's HARD! But worrying only makes it worse :-( I usually clean alot .
    For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; But of power, and of love, and of a sound mind. (2Timothy. 1:7)

I hate that also. It's almost worse than puking. No-it is. I read about grape juice warding off stomach bacteria in the same way that cranberry juice works for UTIs. I try to drink a glass a day when I hear about bugs-even though I know they can be viral. I get so sick of people posting about how much they and their kids are puking on Facebook. I'd rather not know.

I had that once we and my friend had fp but she had it first
    We had eaten together and I knew i was in for it.
    I just prepared myself for the worst and I had felt AWFUL all day
    once I had v* I felt better and could expect it to happen again
    I was prepared and had my books and computer to comfort me
    You always make it through
    If only there was a fast forward button in life!
    May your dreams be bigger than your fears

I've been in that situation a number of times and I worried myself sick with anxiety, stopped eating for a week, didn't sleep much, just waited for "it" to happen while praying it wouldn't. Guess what? It never happened. All that worry and freaking out and torturing myself by not eating or sleeping and terrorizing myself with all those horrible images of "what if" in my head all for nothing.

Something to keep in mind which won't really help you but it's true - worrying won't stop it from happening if it's going to. If it did, none of us on here would ever get sick even if we licked a sick person lol.

I worry myself sick when this happens. I usually clean a lot! I would rather be the one to get it first so that I don't have to panic.

We are in the waiting period right now, I HATE IT. It's so hard. I had noro 2 days ago, and my 3 year old had it through the night the same day. My husband (who cared for my 3 year old), 5 year old and 7 month old have yet to get it.....so now we just get to sit and wait. SO stressful.

I'm in the waiting period right now also. It's horrible! I was around my nephew on Friday who got sick in front of me multiple times. At first, I didn't think it was a sv. But then my brother got sick, then my sister in law. And I've been around all three of them wayyy too much. So I feel like a ticking time bomb. I want to scream, cry, and run away. This is what I hate most about this time of the year. The waiting game

I am also in the waiting period right now. Recently smoked a cigarette after someone who got "food poisoning" 10 hours after we had shared the cigarette. I honestly am so scared. I am hoping he really just got food poisoning but it is january and things are going around. I am freaking out and it is just the worst thing! I am scaring myself sick not knowing what to do. It honestly is terrible.

It has been so long for me 57 years since I vomited that the waiting period has gotten easier. But I don't stick around and watch someone get sick. I am out of there in a flight mode. Then I wash my hands a lot. And chew a few pepto bismo a day because I believe they coat my stomach and the virus can't get in. Don't tell me it won't work. It may be a talisman but it helps me. The worst was when my kids were young and got sick. My husband helped by taking charge when possible, but it was anxiety&guilt. Oddly dogs cats other animals don't bother me. Does anyone else feel OK if it is another species?
    I used to be afraid of one of my grandmother's the coughed from smoking and vomited from coughing and drinking too much. I had to stay away from her.

What is the difference between a junior and a senior member? I am new. And What about "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced"? Is the a how to page?

Quote Originally Posted by GayT View Post
    What is the difference between a junior and a senior member? I am new. And What about "Post Quick Reply" and "Go Advanced"? Is the a how to page?
    Think junior and senior depends on how many posts you've made.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Thank you. And stay well. :}

But it won't necessarily happen. I think people with our problem develop strong stomaches and immune systems. But do get lots of rest if possible. It will help your immunity. And if it was me I would be chewing Pepto Bismo.

Quote Originally Posted by GayT View Post
    It has been so long for me 57 years since I vomited that the waiting period has gotten easier. But I don't stick around and watch someone get sick. I am out of there in a flight mode. Then I wash my hands a lot. And chew a few pepto bismo a day because I believe they coat my stomach and the virus can't get in. Don't tell me it won't work. It may be a talisman but it helps me. The worst was when my kids were young and got sick. My husband helped by taking charge when possible, but it was anxiety&guilt. Oddly dogs cats other animals don't bother me. Does anyone else feel OK if it is another species?
    I used to be afraid of one of my grandmother's the coughed from smoking and vomited from coughing and drinking too much. I had to stay away from her.
    I'm out of there too. I really want to get a handle on this fear. I'm going to try seeing another counselor. At this point, if I were to get married and have kids, I'd do the same thing. When someone is sick, I am out of there. I hope to conquer this fear so if I have kids, I can take care of them. I don't know if that will happen, though.

I'm the same way. We have animals, and it doesn't bother me at all if they are sick. My Mom usually cleans it up when they are sick, but I have cleaned it up in the past. I feel safe because it's not contagious I think. However, even if I was around a person getting sick who wasn't contagious, like someone going through chemo or post op, I still would be terrified. Therefore, it's more than the fact that it's not contagious; there is something about it being not human. The only thing that bothers me is the sound when my Jack Russell gets sick; he sounds like a person.

Please don't hold back having kids as they can be a joy and you can make it through. Although it sounds like that is not an option in your life right now. I explained to my kids when they were old enough to understand and my husband was very supportive. I think trying a therapy that deals specifically with phobias would help.
    What you said about your dog is a somewhat true for me. But usually when I hear my dog or cat I am more focused on getting them outside. I wish you luck and hope you find a good therapist. Let me know.
    You are lucky to have a sportive Mom. My parents didn't know and my father teased me.

Ugh this just happened to me last week my grandma was sick and we didn't know it was the flu and she stayed the night with us and on Saturday I woke up to my bro *v & I cried and sat outside at 3 am till 12 then my mom picked me up and I got a hotel for a few days.. I'm such a coward it hit literally 3 out of 5 people in our house & I didn't eat still barely eating & I haven't been home since because I'm afraid. It scarred me to death this phobia sucks so much
    "You'll never fly if you're too scared of the height"

I'm currently just starting the waiting game. I keep re playing the situation in my head. Will it or won't it happen? 24/7 nerves are hard to cope with.

Congratulations on going 57 years without vomiting. I think that's the longest of anyone on IES, although I am in another group with a man who's gone 78 1/2 years. Doug
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

As I get older and more time passes I get less anxious. Also my curiosity about where this comes from increases. All little children seem to cry when they vomit, but most out grow the "fear" or is it not fear. Any thoughts in your group on that subject?