Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

So i just bought some soup from the place next door - it was supposed
    to be hot soup, but after a few bites it became evident that it was
    barely luke-warm.

Does this make the odds good that food-borne illness (e.g. SV) could
    have made its way in and not killed due to the lack of heat? It seemed
    very tasty but due to my fear I had to throw it out.

Could I get sick from the 4-5 spoonfulls I had?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Lewis

Edited by: lewisr

I doubt that you will get sick from the little bit you ate. I don't blame you though, I wouldn't have eaten it either.

Jess

I hope you are right - i have turned into full panic mode now - I am so
    afraid that the room-temperature nature of the soup makes it a perfect
    place to catch food poisoning or stomach virus... oh now here goes
    another 48-hour wait torture fest

Ah I doubt you will get sick. My old work canteen used to put soup into these jugs and so they would end up lukewarm which was sooo gross but people used to eat it all the time and never ever get sick. I doubt there is a SV in it and at some point it probably was hot. Try not to worry too much, You'll be fine.

xxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Thanks for your responses. My concern is that in the time the soup had
    to sit there and settle to room temperature, it wasn't hot enough to
    fend off bacteria or sv* particles that potentially dirty employees
    shed in there.

Does that sound crazy? I know I only had a few spoonfulls but I heard that you can get sick from as few as 10 virus particles.

I am really panicking about this one - I don't know if it is because I
    really genuinely have something to worry about this time or if my emet
    is just getting worse by the day :-(

Ok did we have this discussion before about how many virus particles you need to ingest? At any rate, firstly sick people do not come to work. It is against health regulations, secondly if by some miricle a sick person DID come to work he'd have to lick his finger and dip it in the luke warm soup before you were even at the slightest chance of risk and thats definately against regulations and then even if all these things did happen and by some million to one chance you got sick...you might not even V*. V* particles don't just float around the air and plop in unsuspecting soup and employees dont just go sticking hands in the soup. There are rules. You will be fine.

xxxxxxx
    Be courageous, believe in yourself, and be the best woman you can be. I'm with you all the way.

Here is the US, most people dont give a damn if they are sick or not, they will go to work. It happens all the time, more than we would like for it to. I dont know if it is even against health regulations here in the US, if it is, then there are alot of companies/businesses that need to enforce the rules about coming in to work sick.

Now, I understand your fear lewisr, but I honestly dont think you should be worried. I agree with hippychick .......... that v* particles dont just float around work, they are only present when the v* happens, and I dont think you would have your food anywhere near someone v'ing. However, I know it is hard to not think about it.

I just meant coming into resteraunts to work sick. Over here if you have had V* or D* you are not allowed back til 24 hours after your last bout and some places canbe pretty damn strict and anyway if you had to work with food you wouldn't wanna be in while sick. I wasn't even thinking about other people in the cafe or whatever because it cant happen, it just cant lol

I guess I was thinking in broader terms when I said that about people coming to work sick. I thought lewis was talking about people being sick at his work. Im pretty sure we have the same rules and regulations here in the US about working around food and being sick. I think there ought to be some rules and regulations about people going to work sick, regardless of what field you are in.