Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default When you need immediate help

Hi! I am new to this forum and this kind of thing in general. I have lived with this my whole life on some level but it seems to be getting worse the older I get. I am only now learning/discovering that this fear has a name and that others like me exist so that alone is a new blessing. However yesterday/today I was confronted with the monster...my daughter started v* last night and it has sent me into a tizzy. The not knowing if and when it will strike is unbearable. My husband just doesn't understand and thinks I am being ridiculous. I ordered ERS and was debating hypnosis or acupuncture bc I just can't live like this anymore! And after being afraid of my own daughter I became so sad ontop of completely anxious. Anyway thanks for lettin me ramble but my true question is how do you deal in the short term? How do you get thru the anxiety and fear when faced with it directly? I work in a school and recently when the entire school was struck w it before break I thought I was gonna die and now it's in my home! I almost can't think about going to work bc I'm afraid it will hit me while I'm there! And now the fear is affecting my livelihood bc all I can think is to call out! Ugh. Any tips for getting thru the immediate anxiety would be great! Thanks all!!

Default Re: When you need immediate help

My daughter gets it at least once a year.....And I have never..Although always terrified when it strikes. I no the shame in not being able to console your loved one due to fear. Ive read its transmitted threw v* or d * so I keep myself super busy sanitizing everything. Door knobs , hopper seat any clothing or linen immediately goes in the washer [on hot water cycle ] and bleach. It varies everywhere but I read temps above 140 degrees and bleech are 2 sure fire ways to kill it. Any garbage cans liners used for the obvious get put outside immediately as well. I ave also read it enters threw the eyes ,nose or mouth. So clearly good hygiene ie:hand washing , I also shower after each one of her v* episodes.Totally neurotic behavior but it keeps my mind occupied. Hope this helps. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!

Thanks. I did sanitize constantly and only did one shower but didn't do the laundry on hot! I'll try that next. My husband is not so vigilant, not having the fear, so I'm just as afraid of him and anything he is touching too! Ugh. It's always worse at night too...why is that?! Anyway thanks for the words. I'm hoping I washed enough. But I didn't know that about the eyes and nose! I thought it was just ingestion. Oh boy!

The night time deal is because those are the stories you hear or read about people waking up and out of the blue WHAMMO!!!! More tricks your mind is playing on you. And your correct about the ingestion thing I didn't realize that rubbing my eyes with infected hands can cause noro. Without getting graffic the ingestion thing is tiny particals floating in the air after a bm or v episode. my if is careful but nothing like me , with that being said she is supportive .But when it comes to taking my daughter to the docs or hospital I always do it alone. [ In sheer terror ] but I do it. And again we get home all clothes go into the washer w/ bleech and then shower time. I have no clue if this is effective in prevention but certainally a mind deterant!!!

See how uneducated I am...I thiught by ingestion it was literally hand to mouth not air particles. So when my neighbor told me it is airborne and I didn't believe him I guess he was right to a certain degree. Thanks for all words of wisdom...stupid question...doesn't bleach ruin colored clothes? I'm def going to do more reading up and I ordered the ERS so hopefully will help. Don't know if I was a sucker for buying it but at this point I'll try anything. The hardest part is the cognition...I know my thoughts are irrational and I try to override w self talk and constant challenging my thoughts but the same stubborn fear part of me refuses to believe/listen to it! And the cycle continues. But thanks again. Like you said maybe just doing all that if nothing else keeps the mind busy.

I use bleech on everything. Fill the washer half way 'then dump like a shot glass amount in. I then manually turn the washer to evenly distribute the bleech. then fill it up . Rarely if ever do I end up with a bleech spot on my clothing.

By the way your not uneducated , I simply read way to much . with that being said im neither a doctor nor an expert on anything!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by erocks View Post
    By the way your not uneducated , I simply read way to much . with that being said im neither a doctor nor an expert on anything!!!!!
    But you have helped! Thank you!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Allibean View Post
    See how uneducated I am...I thiught by ingestion it was literally hand to mouth not air particles. So when my neighbor told me it is airborne and I didn't believe him I guess he was right to a certain degree. Thanks for all words of wisdom...stupid question...doesn't bleach ruin colored clothes? I'm def going to do more reading up and I ordered the ERS so hopefully will help. Don't know if I was a sucker for buying it but at this point I'll try anything. The hardest part is the cognition...I know my thoughts are irrational and I try to override w self talk and constant challenging my thoughts but the same stubborn fear part of me refuses to believe/listen to it! And the cycle continues. But thanks again. Like you said maybe just doing all that if nothing else keeps the mind busy.
    It's only airborne when the person is actively v or d. Also, you need to eat the virus.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Quote Originally Posted by erocks View Post
    My daughter gets it at least once a year.....And I have never..Although always terrified when it strikes. I no the shame in not being able to console your loved one due to fear. Ive read its transmitted threw v* or d * so I keep myself super busy sanitizing everything. Door knobs , hopper seat any clothing or linen immediately goes in the washer [on hot water cycle ] and bleach. It varies everywhere but I read temps above 140 degrees and bleech are 2 sure fire ways to kill it. Any garbage cans liners used for the obvious get put outside immediately as well. I ave also read it enters threw the eyes ,nose or mouth. So clearly good hygiene ie:hand washing , I also shower after each one of her v* episodes.Totally neurotic behavior but it keeps my mind occupied. Hope this helps. BEST OF LUCK!!!!!!!!
    I'm pretty sure the virus doesnt infect you via nose or eyes. But I could be wrong.
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

I am new to site. What is "ERS"?

I believe its the Emetophobia Recovery System.