Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default out of interest how often do your kids have sv?

just wondering how often it happens or I should expect my twin boys to get sv? they are 2 and go to childminders 2 days a week. 4 children go in total. they had gastroenteritis around their first birthday(lasted 2 weeks) another sv April of last year( lasted a week). then recntly in November a mild case lasting 2 days. do they get things less and less as they are older? and does the duration shorten? sorry for all questions. were in the UK x

Default Re: out of interest how often do your kids have sv?

I only remember having it once as a child, around 7 or 8. I may have had it when I was younger but I don't remember. I'm 26 now and that's the only time I've had it (knock on wood). My brother never really had it either, although he did v for other reasons.

*KNOCKING ON WOOD, repeatedly!*

My oldest has had 2 sv's. Once when he was almost 3 and once when he was 6. He has v* on other occasions, but were from ear infections or slight FP. He is almost 13.

My youngest had a sv when he was 9 months old, and one when he was almost 3. He will be 7 in March.

I suppose it depends on the actual chemical make up of the kid. Neither myself or dad are regular sv people (thank God). I know some families that this is a once or twice a season occurance. The whole family just gets the sv.

I think as you get older you are less prone to sv, but only with correct precautions. Teach hand washing, and cleanliness (without being over-the-top) and hopefully they (and you) can get through childhood relatively unscathed!!!

I've never been able to find any evidence that families seem to be somewhat immune to it but my family really doesn't seem to get it. I remember my mom having it once and maybe my dad too. Even my grandmother never seems to get sick. My mom, dad, and brother are no where near as precautions as I am and they still don't seem to get it.

My oldest is nine and I think she's had it four times in her life. My other daughter is 7 and had it 3 times. They went two years without getting it though.

My kids do not get it that often. I hear people saying their kids get it twice a year and I'm like HUH??? My oldest has had probably 3 or 4 svs and she is 13. Before the sydney strain (which she caught twice last year 6 months apart) she hadn't caught one in 5 years!

When I was a kid, we never had svs go through our house. One of us would get it and no one else would catch it. I remember having one 2 or 3 times from young kid to 20s. My mom and dad don't catch them often either.

Hmmmm my daughter has gotten svs.... probably 3 or maybe 4 times, and she'll be 9 next month. When I was little I think I had 3 or 4 till I was 8 and then not again till I was 20.

Ha I spoke too soon my seven year old woke up this morning with sv* . Well guess we will get it out of the way for the season.

My kids seem to get it a lot, which really sucks. My 5 year old has had it 3 times in her life - once 2 yrs ago in January, once last Feb and once last May. My 3 year old has had it four times now - 2 yrs ago in Jan, last Feb, last May AND in December. My 8 month old thankfully has not had it. In December, only my 3 yr old and I caught it - that was the first time it didn't go through our whole house.

I agree though, when I was little I remember one or two people on our family would get it, but I never remember it flying through the whole house like it does in my family.

Personally, I only remember having sv a handful of times as a kid - though I'm sure there were times that it happened when I was so young that I just don't remember. I had my last "kid" one when I was 11....that was the last time I v*'d. After that I caught it when I was 26...from work.....and then once my daughter started bringing it home from school I've caught it every time (even with extreme caution, I have no idea how or why I catch it!).

ETA - I stay at home with my girls, so they are not in daycare.....so the only time they catch it is if it comes home from school....with the exception of the time in Dec, somehow I caught it first that time!

My kids got them apx once a year when they were younger. They were both in daycare, and that seemed to be why they would get sick that often. I quit work and stayed home with my son when my daughter went to kindergarten, and they went two years without one. It does seem like they get them less often when they get older. They have had colds, various fevers, and strep throat every year, but not sv.

I have 4 kids, ranging from 5 years old, 4 years old, 2 years old and a one year old. In the 5 years I been a parent, only the 5 year old has had a stomach virus (which Vomiting was involved), and he had it 3 months ago. His only lasted a day, and he wasnt as ill as the stories you hear where people were praying to god or wishing they were dead because it was soo horrific. He basically slept it off and was better by the end of day. The next day he felt groggy but that was from lack of sleep and dehydration.

I don't have children, but as a child I had an sv* once when I was 4(which I now believe was rota) and once when I was 7 or 8. The next time was not until I was 18. *knock wood*
    M I D N I G H T