Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Iv been like this for days now and its not getting any better Im getting very scared over it. My phobia tightens up my throat and I always feel on the verge of retching, Its mortifyig me, I wake up at about 5am in panic and then I hate the idea of it carrying on all day, Iv been to the doctors and I wont take any tablets for it cos iv had the phobia 26yrs and always coped up til now. I feel there is no doorway or solution and im just existing on terror. I love going asleep but I wake up choking so I cant even relax. I cry lots when my kids arnt about. I pinch myself to take my mind off my throat and stomach, Im bruised because of it. Im so upset that its got this bad, I had it bad about 5 yr ago, got better and lead an almost normal life. I feel so insecure and I think thats why I feel the way I do. when I was an assistant manager I felt I was doing a good job and I knew I could run the place with my eyes shut,and I was also married at the time, it lasted a few months, he tret me bad, not beating me up but always going awol and switching his phone off so I couldnt get through to him, I did love him at the time but I cant stand the thought of me and him anymore, I feel ashamed every time I think of him and why I married him I will never know! In other words Im glad I have got rid of him so I cant understand why my phobia is so powerful at the mo, 24 hours a day Im on guard over it, has anyone else felt like this or am I going mad? I wont take tablets but I am trying hypnotherapy. Edited by: suzy.o

Meds might be the answer at this point. I was exactly where you were 2 weeks ago, and I was put on a couple different meds, and am feeling much better. Not cured, of course, but at least I can function. My psychiatrist also gave me some anti-emetics to take with the meds, at least at first. I took two of the anti-emetic tablets, but found I didn't need them. My only side effect is tiredness, and that could just be that because when my anxiety was so high, I was barely sleeping.

The choice is up to you, though. Do lots of things you find relaxing, and things that engage your mind. Good luck with hypnotherapy.
    Ultimately we know deeply that the other side of every fear is a freedom. - Marilyn Ferguson

Habituation always defeats fear. - Edmund Bourne

I am thinking of doing the hypnotherapy as well, but I need to know that I can truly explain to the hypnotist the real issues. Many think that this is not a real phobia and they laugh. I hate what you are going through and i hope you get relief soon. it is difficult and more so when you are alone with it. know that just because you have no husband, there is always someone here to lend an ear. You are not going through this alone and we have all gone through it to the same degree you are.

Thanx so much you two, I hate it and it depresses me. I am so glad Im not the only one who feels like this, I have 2 kids but I wouldnt burden them with the phobia. I fel better knowing im not on my own in this panic and depression.

Surely no one can tell you what to do, but i went through thr exact same thing you are about 10 years ago. I have to tell you, the only thing that got me through it WAS meds. At the time i was put on Xanax along with Prozac for the depression (which always seems to go hand in hand with anxiety). Hun, sounds to me like anxiety is what you're experiencing with the tightening of the throat, and all the symptoms that are going with it. Those meds i took were a God-send to say the least!! I was completely non-functional and was on medical leave from work for close to 9 months, but they brought me back to the living, and yes, even though i've been off of Xanax for many years, i still do need an anti-depressant ecause my anxiety seems to be a chronic condition (i've had that since early childhood).

Just know, that the awful symptoms you're describing is NOT an indication of v*ing or an illness, i feel it's totally all anxiety...it's a most horrible and terrifying imbalance in our brains and unfortunately sometimes meds are the only way to find relief. My experience with psychologists were sadly unsuccessful so "MY" way of coping is to stay on my med, lean on the good Lord, and just "keep on truckin" !!

You are in my thoughts and prayers about this, along with all the other fellow emets on here! God bless and let us know how you're doing :-)

Keep your chin up girlfriend, and hang tough, you will get through this!

Paula :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

Thanks Mee, Im sick of choking! Was up at 3.30am this morning with it and havnt been to sleep since! If it wasnt for my kids Id have done myself in. Im crying all the time. I hate my life. Im getting the doctor out, Had 2 sessions of hypno but I think its made me worse, even though I had great faith in them, Its like Ive lost the power to fight because there is no escape. Even if I get drink the panics are still there, I darnt drink too much in case I v. but its my only prop to help me. I darnt not drink in case I get withdrawals and they can make you sick. I cant win really.Edited by: suzy.o

Suzy-o, noooo drinking won't do you a bit of good!! It can only aggrevate anxiety and possibly make it worse!! I know it helps temporarily, but after the initial relaxation from it, the anxiety can come back worse than before.

Please see a doctor about this, hun. Tell him about your phobia and and the choking feelings you get. I'll bet he or she will say it's anxiety. It sounds typical, many ppl get it so much worse at night, and strangely enough, while they're sleeping, and they end up waking in a state of panic. Panic and anxiety wreaks major HAVOC on our bodies in ways that are unbelievable!! It effects our respiratory abilities, our digestion, and can tighten any muscle(s) in our bodies...including the esauphagus (sp?). This is why i feel you're experiencing intense anxiety. It hit me when you said how unhappy your life is right now, and that if it weren't for your kid(s), you would have done yourself in!! Unhappiness alone, can and usually does bring on depression and anxiety (since they go hand in hand) and you really should think twice about getting help soon, even if it's to get on anxiety medication (if just for a short time). If you're anything like me, you will find (in a couple days) after you start the meds, how completely better you feel..not only physically, but your outlook on life can improve significantly! If you don't feel that the meds are for you, then tell your dr. and stop them, but as far as i'm concerned (and i AM concerned about you!), you can't say you didn't try. What do you possibly have to lose? Right?

God bless you Suzy-o!

Paula :-)
    For God has not given us a spirit of fear; but of power and of love and of a sound mind. 2 Timothy 1:7

I used to have major anxiety over EVERYTHING. And mainly my panic attacks would make me feel like I needed to V*. I used to get them all the time, everyday, for weeks/months on end. Finally I got to a psychiatrist and got on meds. I've been on meds ever since. I remember a period of time where I went off of my meds for a month (without a doctor's reccomendation) and I was SO messed up. I couldn't stop shaking or crying and that left me to wonder what life would be like without meds. I think you should really try some. I'm on Zyprexa and Zoloft and they help A WHOLE LOT. Give it a try!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Right now i'm currently on Zoloft, but honestly, i dont think they're working as well as Prozac did. I'm like you, Monica. I went off of my meds (but not without my dr. knowing so i weaned off of it slowly). I didn't get all messed up, BUT after like a year without them, my anxiety started creeping back up on me until it became crippling again!!! So here i am, back on them again. I guess i just have to accept the fact that i'll probably need them for the rest of my life.

My Dr. told me years ago, when i was crying to him, saying that i wish i wasn't so abnormal (due to having depression and anxiety), he said, and i quote..."NO, you are one of the NORMAL people! Whoever can live in this world, with the way it is today, and NOT have depression or anxiety, THEY are the abnormal ones!!" hehehe!

Well that is true what your doc told you! tee hee! I want to be abnormal then!Im still in a bad way, does anyone really feel they are going to retch when they burp and get worried that they will retch? Ive just done that and I darnt burp in case I do, Its awful, your stomach tightens all the way down and you feel as if its lurching up to your throat every time you burp which nearly makes you retch. I effing hate it, I want to be a cow, as they dont have the retching reflex so cant be sick, the vet has to opperate to get the contents out, Well if I was a cow I wouldnt mind that because all they care about is eating grass andthey wouldnt know thatthey had to see the vet would they, course Id make sure I was a domestic cow that wouldnt end up on a sunday dinner plate before id swap places. Thanks mee for the advice on taking meds, I love to but too scared to stop drinking to calm me down. Obviously I wouldnt dare get drunk and have only been truelly drunk about 3 times in my life and it made me feel sick so I wouldnt go there again, however I have a big constitution for alcohol cos ive used it for years to dampen my panic, Id be too scared to come off the alcohol so I could take meds as Id worry about withdrawal, and it can make you sick. Im stuck I think. No one can tell I drink even though I tell them I do,as I keep it only to the point of feeling relaxed but never drunk. I dont even think it really works as I dare not drink fast enough to get drunk but I do take a lot over a long amount of time. If I had a panic any time of the day or night I reach out for it to calm me down, my doctor knows all about this and hes put me on propranolol as you can drink with them, It doesnt seem to help though. I wish I was on meds like you lot as I know its the best thing, there is nothing worse than having major panic plus feeling disgusted with yourself about drinking to control it but been to scared not to in case you get bad on withdrawal. Thats why I think Im depressed. I hate doing it but darnt not. I feel there is no escape. I know Im not a drunkard but I feel as bad as one. I know you lot are going to tell me to quit but like I say, I darnt.... Yet. Pray for me will ya.Edited by: suzy.o

Hmmm cows chew their cud...meaning they regurgitate their stomach contents and chew on it LOL!!! I really don't think you'd wanna be a cow then hehe!

Definitely Suzy-o, you are in my prayers! :-)

God bless you!