Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default is this a panic attack?

I bit the inside of my cheek REALLY hard during my sleep 3 days ago. It ended up swelling and pretty much turned into an abscess. Yesterday, it was huge and visually at its worse with 3 visible white points thanks to the bite. The look of it has improved, but my body is pretty much trying to fight the infection so my left lymph node is swollen. It isn't restricting my breathing at all, but it is slightly nudging my throat. not a gagging sensation, but an annoying lump in your throat type of feeling. I starting reading up since the feeling in my throat was disconcerting thanks to the fear, and noted very very serious complications may arise if what I am having doesn't resolve soon.

I am anxious, but am I having an anxiety attack? My left half of my face is slightly warm and I have a headache. I feel myself being overtly alert and fidgety... and I also keep feeling like my breath is lost and almost going into a full blown panic. I have antibiotics prescribed, but the doctor even said that I wouldn't take them (knowing my fear). I also have some oral application and some mouthwash. It wasn't able to be lanced.

I'd take the pills but I've been feeling like crap already. Not taking any emetic risks.

Default Re: is this a panic attack?

I think you should take those before it gets any worse. I don't want to alarm you, but my cat got an enormous cheek abscess after he had all his teeth pulled and he had quite bad v and d for several days because he would spit out his meds or foam it out when it was liquid. If it were me, I'd take the meds and get that healed up. It's the infection that's making you feel bad. It will only get worse if you don't take your meds.

Yes, that is a panic attack. Take some deep cleansing breaths. It should pass soon.
    Last edited by Grace47; 01-20-2014 at 08:15 AM.

The issue is, I won't take the antibiotics. I will not and nothing the doctor says can persuade me otherwise. I've had enough experiences with Anitbiotics and I'm not willingly going to take them again. My insurance denied the request for any sublingual medication even though I have the money to afford the prescription. Promethazine doesn't work. I'm not taking an emetic to prevent an emetic episode. It sounds self destructive, but I don't care. I'll die from a brain abscess? Saves me the issue. It'll go away. I don't know why I'm so angry over this.

Can you just get a shot? I'm just cerned the abcess willI rupture and you'll be unintentionally swallowing pus which will most likely make you have really bad v and d. I doubt you'll get a brain abscess and die. Also anything in the mouth is so painful. I can't imagine the pain you must be in. I have not been through this myself, but my poor cat suffered so with this exact thing. His finally healed when I told the vet, I couldn't take care of a newborn baby and such a sick cat, so I boarded him and the vet finally lanced the abscess like I wanted her to in the first place and gave him injectable antibiotics. I think your worst case scenerio is probably the same. I don't have a problem with pills or antibiotics, but personally I would prefer a shot too. You just get better so much faster with a cheap simple shot in the butt.

I know you're keeping it really clean, but please see if your insurance is willing to pay for a shot. I hate to see another human being in pain.

OT- I'm surprised this thread hasn't gotten more attention. Any abscess is painful, but in the mouth must be especially painful. I hope this heals up quickly for you. You are in my thoughts. Get well soon.
    Last edited by Grace47; 01-21-2014 at 03:08 AM.

Yeah I say try for an injection as well. Shouldn't have any side effects. Abscesses are horrible. I truly don't know how you're dealing with this. I have some kind of condition (haven't been diagnosed, but I'm pretty sure) where my body makes lots and lots of abscesses and boils and it sucks Keep it clean, and try to look into getting an antibiotic shot. Maybe you can pick up something at the store for mouth wounds. Might ease the pain.
    M I D N I G H T

MRSA? That really sucks, Strong. I have only dealt with bad abscesses in animals and had the occassional boil. But even a boil hurts.

no no not mrsa. I think it's called hydradenitis superativa.

Thank goodness for that! Not that this thing is good, but I'm really glad its not MRSA.