Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Which antibiotics have the lowest emetic response?

I need an antibiotic for an abscess, which I was already prescribed, but I need to know which antibiotics /usually/ don't cause GI Distress.

Default Re: Which antibiotics have the lowest emetic response?

I'm on penicillin right now, and I'm ok with it. It felt a little queasy the first 2 days, but now I'm fine. Never made me feel overly nauseous.

Which one did they give you?

They gave me clindamycin. I def won't take it lol

None of them will make you ill unless you mix them with alcohol

Listen you need to take the meds. People don't realize that an oral or dental infection can make you very sick. The infection can get into your blood stream and cause sepsis. I worked in the dental field for 14 years trust me on this. I think your being very reckless with your health by not taking the meds they gave you. Sorry if I come off harsh but I just don't want to see you get sicker.

Please take your meds. As natiebear said by not doing so you risk yourself getting even worse & ending up on a very high dose. Im 47 years old & have taken many antibiotics for many different reason - including 3 or 4 times for abscesses. Whilst some can make you feel a bit off most dont cause any side effects.

We've already talked about this. I am hoping you can get the shot. I've only had a problem with an antibiotic once. Usually, I just take them with food and I'm fine.

How is your abscess healing? Hopefully, it is much better now.

The fact that they gave you clindamycin means that your infection is pretty serious. That's a strong antibiotic. You need to take something, and if you are really scared, call your doc (or pharmacist) and explain your fear and ask him what he thinks is best. Everyone reacts differently to different drugs so it's hard to tell. Definitely taking it with food is a great idea. Good luck!

Wow I'm sorry, everytime I clicked my settings, it never loaded until now.

I didn't end up taking the Anti-Biotic nor did I go in for IV antibiotics but it did, or still is healing. For the last 5 days, i wasn't really able to eat solid food because I bit the inside of my cheek at the part where both teeth clamp together so I wasn't able to close my mouth to chew. I guarded that side of my mouth when i ate to the point of my tongue looking weird on that side.

The literal abscess is gone now, and I finally could eat again lol. If it was a tooth abscess, I wonder if it would have been less worse.

Thank you for your replies!

Quote Originally Posted by SoVerySorry View Post
    Wow I'm sorry, everytime I clicked my settings, it never loaded until now.

I didn't end up taking the Anti-Biotic nor did I go in for IV antibiotics but it did, or still is healing. For the last 5 days, i wasn't really able to eat solid food because I bit the inside of my cheek at the part where both teeth clamp together so I wasn't able to close my mouth to chew. I guarded that side of my mouth when i ate to the point of my tongue looking weird on that side.

The literal abscess is gone now, and I finally could eat again lol. If it was a tooth abscess, I wonder if it would have been less worse.

Thank you for your replies!
    No a tooth abcess would have been way worse I know I have seen many and had one last year. It was the most horrible pain I have ever had in my life worse then child birth. I would get it checked if your not going to take the meds you could still have an infection. Your not a doctor or dentist so it's impossible for you to know for sure if it's healed proper.

I'm glad it's better. If you can afford it, I agree on seeing your dentist just to make sure it's entirely gone and won't crop up again.

Agree with others, especially Natiebear. I never had any issues with antibiotics and I rarely ever have to take them...which I am grateful for of course. They give me a round when I had my wisdom teeth out to prevent any infection due to open sores in the mouth. I never once felt nauseous and did not have any stomach pains or diarrhea with it. The most I hear is people taking them on an empty stomach when it says to take it with food and they don't, which makes them feel sick and gave them a bellyache or that they get diarrhea with antibiotics because it eats up all the good bacteria in the gut. Probiotics and foods like yogurt can prevent that in people who get that problem. And always, always, take the entire dose no matter how you feel. Never, ever stop mid-way or after a couple days because you feel better. I cannot stress that enough. Take it as prescribed always, never more and never less unless doctor says it is okay.
    "And though she be but little, she is fierce"~Helena, A Midsummer Night's Dream