Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Im feeling so ill :(

Although this is not a panic post I am feeling so dreadful at the moment. I think I may have flu (influenza). My throat feels like its closing up & I cant swallow without it hurting so bad. My body aches, Ive got a temp & a cough which makes me heave when it gets going Ive taken more that the advised dose of painkillers today yet the pain isnt getting any better. Had to work today cos Ive taken so much time off in past month due to other things & Ive got to go tomorrow or I think my job may be on the line. My voice is hoarse & painful when I talk, basically I feel like crap! To top it off Im also feeling n* & the choking sensation in my throat is making me feel like I might v*.

Default Re: Im feeling so ill :(

Claire you always get your flu jab didn't you this year? Maybe go to the doctor and get a flu test to make sure. It could also be strep throat too. Either way go see the doctor. Hope you feel better soon dear.

Yes Natiebear I got my flu jab in October but this definitely feels like the flu. Either that or a throat infection. My glands are swollen, Ive got earache & im shivering even though Im tucked up in bed with a hot water bottle & a throw wrapped around me.

I would say throat infection if your throat hurts real bad. I use to get them so bad as a teen. I would get to the point where I couldn't walk. I never v* though from them.

Up until the age of 13 when I had my tonsils out I used to get tonsillitis at least every 6 weeks. Since then my throat has always been my weak spot (along with my stomach these days ) I can honestly say I cant remember ever feeling this much pain & discomfort. Its now ten to 2 in morning, I have to be up at 7.20 & I just do not know how I am going to do it. My skin feels like its on fire yet Im shivering, I keep needing to clear my throat but even doing it super gently almost brings me to tears & my chest feels so tight its like an elastic band is being stretched. Please God I hope this goes by the time I have to go to work

Is the H1N1 flu going around in the UK? That's kind of does sound like that with the chest tightness. I don't think they would want you to come to work and expose everyone to those germs hon. I think you need to get to a doctor first thing in the morning and not worry about work. Your health is number one without it you can't work or do anything.

Havent heard about H1N1 but I do know a lot of people are falling ill with flu. I work in an opticians & quite a number have cancelled their appointments due to it.

Believe me where I work they almost demand you come to work no matter what. In all fairness I have taken a lot of days off since beginning Dec. First I pre booked 2.5 days off cos I was having new central heating put in, then a week later my dad was admitted to hospital so I took 2 days off to try & attend drs visits etc, next I had booked 3 days off for the christmas break weeks before so that makes 7.5 days then I returned to work for 1 day got ill so took another day off. Then last friday I was ill again (mostly stress related I think) so that makes a total of 8.5 days in 5 weeks. I really have very little choice but to go to work. The best I can hope for is they take pity on me & send me home but thats very very unlikely

Feeling worse, my stomach is really unsettled now too & keeps making noises & I just want to sleep

Maybe try some crackers or something to eat that's little. Just try and relax, maybe a warm bath would help. I'm sorry your work is not very good about being sick. If I was a customer there I would be mad if they made a sick person be around me. That's how this stuff spreads because of mean bosses.

Im at my wits end. Slept for 20 mins then woke feeling even worse. Im freezing, shaking, feel n*, major headache, sore throat, no voice, earache & swollen glands!!!! How the hell Im going to get to work I just dont know. When I stand up Im dizzy & shakey & I just want to cry Its now 6.15 in the morning so no chance of having a nap to see if that helps.

Honey, it makes me so cross that you're feeling so miserable yet have this huge day ahead. If you truly feel you must go in, just wait for a quarter hour then tell them you feel like you are going to pass out. Either that or tell them that the urgent doctor has told you (by telephone) to remain in bed.
    Let us know how you're doing. Good luck. Xx

Hi hope your doing better. Just wanted to check in with you, let us know how it went.

it sounds like you could have the flu or strep throat. you should see a doctor. my kids got the flu shot and both just got over the flu, and now i have it. i feel similar to what you describe except my throat isn't hurting...just feels swollen. you may need antibiotics for strep. hope you feel better soon!

I couldnt go into work after all my fussing about having to go in! When I tried to get ready I just knew Id never make it. I'll have to figure out how to pay my bills when Im better but at the moment I couldnt care less. I rang my dr & after describing my symptoms she agreed I needed antibiotics. What freaked me out was when she said if I start v* I must go down to see her!!!!! I also had my daughter to buy me a spray that helps numb the back of the mouth & throat. Its early days yet but hopefully the antibiotics will kick in soon & I can at least go back to work friday. Im living on painkillers, in fact Im waiting to take my next dose in about 20 mins & it cant come quick enough. The cough has now become more aggressive & Ive coughed up some yucky stuff but am trying to fight it cos it makes me nearly v* and it hurts so bad. Have had a few naps throughout the day & woke up sweating so maybe my body is starting to fight back.

Oh you poor thing I feel so bad for you. Glad you didn't try to go into work and just rested. I hope those antibiotics kick in fast for you. Try gargling with warm salt water too for your throat it helps.

Thank you. I did try that a couple of times during the night but I was really afraid Id swallow the salt water & we all know what happens then! I am feeling very sorry for myself at the moment. Hoping I can get a good nights sleep & wake up feeling better.

So glad you didn't go in! . I had strep beginning of last year and I had same inability to swallow (had to let my saliva soak into a towel as worried my kids would feel sick if they saw me spitting into any sort of receptacle lol) BUT only hurt badly for two days and was surprisingly better waking up third day. Rest up, poor sweet, and let yourself be cared for. X

I slept on & off during the night & each time I woke up I was drenched in sweat!!Yuk!!! Ive got one more antibiotic left to take today which will make it 2 days worth of tablets Ive taken. My throat is still extremely sore but a little easier than before. Whats worse is my cough. Its phlegm but although my chest is tight it seems to be coming from my throat. Is this even possible. Each time I cough - and Im trying my best not too - it feels like Im choking & I start to heave. Any tips on not v* whilst coughing please?