Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

I cant see any advantages in having this phobia...maybe the only one is meeting people who have it too...

The disadvantage for me is that it effects me everyday

i get scared of goin places...i dread each day coming...each night

Will this continue for ever? ...im scared of havin kids...cos ofthe moring sickness and because all small children are sick...[img]smileys/smilies_06.gif[/img]and i have read on things that people have written who have kids...and it has put me off having them... im only 18 so im not thinking of having kids anytime soon... but its made me think of the future...of having a family. of getting married and living with someone alone, who will probly one day be sick...and i will be alone in the house with him.

am i making any sence?

Roxy

You are making complete sense to me. I'm 26, planning to get married in the next few years but still have no intentions of having kids because of everything you mentioned - morning sickness, kids being sick etc. Sometimes I think that having kids will actually help me but its hard to know. Even when my boyfriend is sick I literally don't go near him! I had to leave home last christmas cos my dad had a bug. I couldn't see him for ages.

BUT...

Let me say this. Yes its crap having this phobia and it affects me everyday too. But overcoming challenges can be rewarding in itself. I never thought I'd go to college, make new friends who I can talk to about this problem, sit in a large lecture theatre with loads of people (my head constantly reminding me they could puke at any moment) without freaking out. I have overcome so much in relation to this. I'm still not cured but everyday day I'm a little bit proud of myself that I got through another situation that I could have paniced in. And I know it sounds stupid but practice makes perfect. Gradually I have learned to cope in certain situations better than in the past.

Of course there are days when I just wish I could just cut the feeling of fear and anxiety right out of my body, like a disease or nasty growth. But with counselling and a strong sense of detemination I intend on getting over this.

I really hope you can too, and I hope that I have helped you a little (and anyone else out there).

Hi, If it makes you fell any better I am an emet who has had two children. I made it through two prgnancies without ever v****. I did feel sick all of the time, but would not let myslef v**. I am paranoid all the time though, my dughter is two and she has never really had a bad bout of the SF. But I dread every day waiting for it. I am single mom so that doesn;t help!

Hey I think there are definitely some ups to having emet-

I doubt any of us will become alcoholics for fear of drinking too much and v*

We won't eat certain things, which causes us to miss out on tasty stuff, but also on food poisoning. (kinda a win lose situation)

And we are more cautious, which is a good thing. Not to be over cautious, but we may avoid things that nonemets may not because of our fear.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Wow, im so impressed that you could think of any advantages. That was very helpful
    It takes one to know one

Yeah, It's probably safe to assume nobody here has a major weight problem LOL.

If anything, I can take pride in the fact that #1, if this is the worst
    problem I have, then I'm still sittin' pretty. So I'm afraid of v*. Big
    whoop! Things could be a lot worse, right?

And #2, I have learned a lot about food safety which is useful for
    anyone to know. And also about different illnesses which is interesting
    and a little gross at the same time. OK very gross.

I'm still single and I do worry about the whole living with someone and
    kids thing but I know that if that day comes, I will love them so much,
    that I will be able to confront the problem as it arises. And I know I
    definitely don't want to grow old lonely just because of this phobia.
    But I do have the same fears and thoughts in that regard. In truth, I
    do actually like being single and have frineds my age who are married
    with children and I can tell you from the look of things, it ain't all
    that it's cracked up to be.