Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New to the site.

Im new to the site and am totally excited to see more people like myself on here. I am a 23 year old mother to two and have had this for as long as I can remember. I don't remember what brought it on but it is absolutely keeping me from living my life the way i should. I get nervous when I go absolutely anywhere, I find myself finding the quickest route to any and every bathroom, exit, and trash barrel in the store "just in case". I feel so n* every waking moment of every day, some are worse then others and the winter is absolutely terrible for me(especially since I have two young boys and kids are germ magnets) any tips to cope? Thanks in advance!

Default Re: New to the site.

Welcome! My advice is to find a good therapist who can work with you on this. And if your anxiety is severe, there are meds that can help. A lot of people have good results with ssri antidepressants.

My mom tries to tell me its all in my head and there's nothing wrong with me. Ive seen so many gastroenterologists and they have no answers for me. I was more leaning towards anxiety but my mom says I'm crazy. Plus im a little iffy about medications like that. Im afraid I wont be able to care for my kids.

It is possible to have functional digestive disorders such as IBS and acid reflux and be emet. I do. The anxiety from the emet of course can make you feel unwell,which exacerbates these conditions.
    As for medications, you would want to work with your doctor to find the right one. Most antidepressants wont impair your functioning, just make the anxiety manageable.

Welcome! My advice is to constantly wash your hands, not too many times, but whenever you go to the bathroom, are in the grocery store touching things, and other places. My brother just got diagnosed with Crohn's Disease, and I have similar symptoms as him. My first visit to the gastrointestinal doctor, he ordered a colonoscopy and upper endoscopy. Mind you, I am sixteen. I would push and demand for a colonoscopy. It'll definitely rule things out! Best of luck.