Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Psychoanalysis

Hello, I just thought people might find this interesting. I
    certainly did. I have had emetophobia for 4 years or so and have
    tried numerous things, plenty of inept therapists. I just can't
    understand how takling through my emotions would help? Yes it sucks,
    yes its irrational, so? Anywhoo I am now doing Psychoanalysis
    which is really the last resort (I am also starting Cipralex tonight,
    scary). Anyway yes this psychoanalyst mentioned how fears of
    being sick is to do with our own fears of ourselves. The
    aggression that is within us all is scary and basicallly being sick is
    a metaphor for releasing our inner desires. I thought it was much
    more interesting than the simple 'oh he must have had a bad experience
    as a child', as if being sick ever is nice. Anyway yes I thought
    it was very interesting to look at it so differently. She is
    completely unconcerned with the emetophobia, in her eyes it is a
    symptom of something else rather than an actual problem.

My mums friend who is a therapist also mentioned how that almost all of
    her new child patients are emetopobic, A sickness of the new
    generation maybe. Perhaps down to all the correctness and
    inhibitions on our actions?

Well I just thought it was interesting

Leo

Oh I also like Psychoanalysis because the woman said that I was like a wild beast inside and I've always wanted to be a Lion

I wish you luck with this form of therapy, I hope it works for you. However, I don't agree with her analysis of emet at all. You should print out the information in the treatment page where sage has great stuff to give to doctors. I've had emet since I was little and it all goes back to a nasty flu I had as a child, not because I have a hard time releasing my inner desires. Good luck with the therapy.
    <a href=\"
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    src=\"http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10731;130/st/2 0070423/e/My+Caribbean+Cruise/k/3909/event.png\"></a&gt ; ; ;

Well, talking through my emotions with a therapist is part of what made emetophobia inconsequential in my life. Of course, to each his or her own.

The interpretation of the psychoanalyst certainly sounds fascinating.

Of course, cognitive behavioral therapy/exposure therapy could be your last resort if psychoanalysis does not work. Or have you already tried that?

thats awesome! you sound so optomistic, which is so hard, and thats so
    good. youll do great with this then. best of luck, let us know how it
    goes
    One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure its worth watching.

Psychoanalysis is an interesting thing to do, and can address a lot of our subconscious feelings/desires/fears. Unfortunately, I've never heard of it actually helping anyone be less afraid.And I've done a fair bit of research on treatment for this phobia. I once read a case of a woman with a spider phobia who underwent analysis for 4 years. She still had the phobia. Considering a spider phobia is one of the most easily treated - in about 10 one-hour sessions at MOST, this is quite alarming. You might want to ask your analyist what the success rate with phobia is, and the time period it will normally take. Just so you know what you're in for. The main problem with analysis is that it takes about 5-10 years (honestly) of going at least weekly if not MORE to have any long-term effect on shifting one's emotional patterns.

In my thinking, analysis is a good thing to try once you've treated every disorder you have, and have done a fair bit of emotional/personal growth in your life and you're about middle-aged. Then it's cool. If you have a whole lot of money.

But I'm always interested in the next case. So do keep us informed.Edited by: sage
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.