Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Entering a war zone!

Hi, everyone.
    I am new to posting here, but am in need of some advice. My entire household just came down with the bug this weekend. I ran away on Saturday, and after a 72 hour panic attack have been returning a little to normal realizing I made it out in time. But now I have to go back. This is the last night I can stay away. I have a family that needs me. I went to the store today, finally able to make it back into the real world, and got a ton of cleaners and disinfectants. I dropped them off at the doorstep and my husband said he would start cleaning. I have no idea how clean he can actually get things, and I was just informed that my daughter isn't even fully over it yet, even though she got in Saturday night. I am extremely anxious about going back there. I am anxious, of course that I will get sick, but also that I will fall right back in the paralyzing anxiety I was experiencing for several days.

Any help, any advice, would be so much appreciated.
    Thanks!
    KM

Default Re: Entering a war zone!

I'm sorry that happened. I can not say I would of done anything different. Trust your husband to clean up, and then if it makes you feel better, clean some more on top of that. Its been a few days, open the windows and let it all air out.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I have my bf clean up after himself when he's been sick and then I go back in a clean after him. Just make sure he's using a cleaner with bleach. Sorry your family is going through this but you are so lucky to have a supportive husband

Thank you. I cannot say how helpful it is to know that I am not alone in this. It can feel so isolating sometimes, and I feel "ridiculous", but I have to remember that any lengths I have to go to to ensure peace of mind is ok. I got some bleach and ordered some crazy expensive cleaner from Amazon that says it's proven to kill it. Anyone know where I can get a HAZMAT suit? Haha.

You are right. I am very lucky to have a husband who understands. I haven't always been so lucky. Thank you. This has been and continues to be quite an experience. If anything I have learned that I am not over this problem. It is incredibly reassuring to know there is help, and people who understand.

deep breaths.

Lol sometimes I wish I could find a hazmat suit. I do have gloves and mask though. As long as everything has been cleaned you should be fine. Wash any clothing or blankets your daughter had with hot water. There are lots of people on here who's children have gotten sick and they didn't catch it. Hang in there.

I, I, I, I, I

How do the kids feel when mom runs away?

There is treatment out there. It can and does get better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    Kick emets a....

I can't condon running away when your family is sick. It sends the message that Mommy will desert them when they have a bug. Even hiding in your room crying is better than leaving. What's done is done. Now, get back in there and help your husband with the clean up. He's had to do everything else even when he was sick, too. He deserves a break. I can't be nice about this. Your children and husband are far more important than fear. We all share this fear but few run completely out on those they love.

While I didn't literally leave when my son was sick as a child I had his father look after him as much as possible. I just couldn't handle it in a rational way (sobbing the whole time while trying to clean him up). Better that the other parent take care of things then have the child wonder what they did to make their mother so upset.

Medical masks are incredibly helpful. If doctors can wear them to avoid any contamination, you should be okay wearing one too. Even if it is only to clean up after the kids. I can't say I've had experience with little kids being sick, since I'm only in college, but I know part of my issue of WHY I have emetophobia is because my father abandoned me when I had the bug. He would tell me to stay in my room and not to touch ANYTHING. It made it seem like this horrible thing and now I fear it. Don't make your children fear it too. Don't burden them like that.