Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Anyone Have Tips for Extreme Period Pain?

So I'm currently on the worst period I've been on in a while (I believe it's punishment for my one in January being so wonderfully light and almost painless).
    I'm on the pill, I've been popping advil for the last 5 days since it's started (I've been taking 1-3 a day), I've been eating foods that's said to help the pain and for some reason though it started on the 27th, it seems to be just getting worse and worse. The last two days have been so extremely painful, which is odd because the first 3 days were completely fine.
    Just so you know, there's (thank God) barely any pain in my stomach. It's mostly all aimed into my lower back but that doesn't make it any less horribly annoying and excruciating. And even though it's mostly in my back I still feel sick. I couldn't eat my supper tonight. Yesterday I had to take a third advil in a short time span because the pain was so immense. So anyone have any other suggestion for what to do? I do believe if it keeps on going with this bad pain over the next two days I will see a doctor to see what the hell's going on this time. The pain never lasted this long and never was this bad later into my period.

Default Re: Anyone Have Tips for Extreme Period Pain?

I have PCOS which makes my periods unbearable sometimes. The heating pad is my best friend and honestly will start to rid the pain with in like 5 minutes. Lots of water and a heating pad can be worth a try! Water is super important and I almost double what I normally drink cause it helps flush things out.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I have been drinking lots of water lately; but I'll definitely try out the heating pad, if we can afford them.

Alrighty, haha, feeling much better now that I took yet another two advil and took a nap. Got my appetite back and ate a couple of light nutra grain bars. I'm only hoping the super bad pain doesn't last over the next two days!

my friend fills an empty water bottle with hot water and puts it on her abdomen. that may work if you don't have a heating pad. heat helps a LOT!

Quote Originally Posted by TryingToBeBrave View Post
    my friend fills an empty water bottle with hot water and puts it on her abdomen. that may work if you don't have a heating pad. heat helps a LOT!
    My Mom did say that the heat pads around here costs a lot a pack so I think I'll try that out first, thanks!

Careful with the advils, don't overdo it because they will irritate your stomach. What I do for extreme pain is I take a mug of hot spiced wine. It helps to relax the muscles and reduces the pain. But you can't take that with advils. If the pain continues, it would be best to see a doctor, it could be an ovarian cyst that burst that is causing the pain.

Thanks for the tip, AoD, but I find advil doesn't do anything like that to my stomach; even so though I have made sure I don't take the limit of it each day. Except for yesterday and today I had only been taking one a day.
    I'll see a doctor if it continues over the next two days.
    Last edited by Maige; 03-03-2014 at 07:41 PM.

You can also make a homemade rice bag you heat up in the microwave. I'm sure there's instructions on the Internet somewhere. That's what I use. The pain could be making you feel icky, just try to eat bland little snacks, most of the time having a little bit in my stomach actually helps

Yup, you can make your own heating pad out of a sock, but if you look hard enough, heating pads aren't that much. I got one of mine for $3.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Unfortunately the heating pads around here cost over $20 a box. That's really expensive for me.
    Today has been much better; still hurts, but not nearly as badly, and it's not constant. The last few days the pain would last for hours without letting up a tiny bit until I took medicine.

What do you mean 'a box'?

The heat packs you warm in the microwave are reusable and shouldn't be $20, especially not if you make your own.

Here's a tutorial: DIY heat pack
    Come visit my history blog:

Vicodin is the only thing that helps me! Of course it can be hard to find an understanding doctor who will write you a rx for it though, most will just think you're trying to get high But it's the only thing that helps. And I've truly tried everything. Mine are so so bad. If you are able to get medical marijuana, strains rich in the compound CBD have known pain-killing effects. If you don't want to smoke, there is CBD concentrate that comes as drops you can put on your tongue. Sometimes it helps me, sometimes it doesn't but its worth a try.

Good luck girl, stay strong!! I know how crummy these days are!

I've been getting bad cramps with my period since I was about 19 (I'm 37 now), and the only thing that helps is Advil. I take it for four days, but mostly on the first and second days. On really bad days I've taken 7 or 8 pills (but always with food-- at minimum a few bites of banana), so taking 1-3 seems like few to me! It really sucks and I often have to get up in the middle of the night to take one. They do give me minor heartburn and I do worry a bit they'll damage my stomach over time, but what can I do. Heating pad feels nice, but just isn't enough to take the pain away to a point where I can function.

Midol! It works wonders. Or, if you're caffeine sensitive, Pamprin. They're both amazing, miracle working pills. And if you get an off brand, they're not too expensive

Also, heating pad if you can get your hands on one. That's what I used to do.
    M I D N I G H T