Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Chewing and spitting *possible trigger*

I know chewing and spitting food out is a form of an eating disorder but does anyone else do it because of emetophobia? I started having a hard time swallowing food out of fear of, "what if it's bad?" or, "This will make me full" or, "This will make me nauseated." It's a really hard struggle for me to eat food because everything you can think of makes me ill to an extent. The problem is, I love food. I Love the taste and textures and smells. When I had a hard time swallowing food out of fear, I would just spit it out. Now it's spread to I binge uncontrollably and spit out meals because I miss the taste of food but I'm to terrified to swallow. I don't want to feel ill later and I don't want to feel full. Does anyone else do this?
    I also would never recommend doing this. It becomes addicting and kills your jaw. That and chewed food can resemble V****

Default Re: Chewing and spitting *possible trigger*

I have seen some others on this forum mention doing this. Have you mentioned this to a therapist or doctor? I hope you are able to get some help for this. Welcome to the forum!

Default Re: Chewing and spitting *possible trigger*

I'm a little frightened to mention it to a therapist or doctor due to many of them jump to the automatic conclusion of "She's doing this to lose weight. Eating disorder!" even if you do explain it. I've know many doctors and therapists to do this. I did have a therapist I was working with and he was very good at listening and understanding. I was planning on mentioning it to him but he switched offices located thirty minutes away. (far too far for me to go in a car)
    Thank you for the welcome! ^-^