Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Weird bowel stuff. Help!

So, I have something weird going on that started around 3-330PM EST (so around 6 hours ago). I have IBS-C, I sometimes alternate when I am on my period due to rough cramps and things like that. However, I have been pretty constipated for a few weeks now, due to overusing my Zofran due to a bad cold the past 2 weeks (taking meds on an empty stomach). I also haven't eaten well for the past few days because I haven't felt great due to being constipated.

OK. So, today around 3-330, I used the bathroom. My stool was hard, it wasn't a large amount, and immediately after I used the bathroom I had some pretty bad cramping that lasted around 45 minutes. About 3 hours later, I felt the urge to use the bathroom. I was immediately worried, because you can kind of tell what kind of bowel movement you're going to have. Well, I was right! I used the bathroom and it came out fast, it was a mixture of hard and soft stool. Which freaked me out. However, it totally made my cramping ease up, all I felt after that bowel movement was a dull ache and lower back pain.

Now, about 20 minutes ago, I used the bathroom AGAIN. It wasn't like the same URGE as the second time. So, I used the bathroom, and it was a very small amount of chunky, loose stool (sorry, gross, I know), but again a very small amount. I felt like I wasn't finished and still needed to use the bathroom (like pressure type feeling), BUT I could not get anything else out, even when I strained.

So, I am on Prevacid 30mg for GERD, Zofran 8mg for nausea, Xanax .5mg for anxiety. The past few days, I've consumed no more than 600-700 cals a day. Each morning I've had a tall mocha frap and a cheese danish from Starbucks and that is pretty much all I've had. I know in the past if I had not eaten a lot, that my stool changed. However, I wouldn't expect that to happen because I've used so much Zofran the last week and it's super constipating.

I do not feel nausea, though I have taken Zofran, but no nausea even before taking the Zofran. I have stuff like this happen during my period, but I am not due for my period for 4-5 more days.

Does this sound like a stomach virus/fp to you? Everyone tells me it's because I have large, dry stools and my intestines are forcing water in order to get it to pass. Everyone says diarrhea from things like sv and fp are more frequent, and more severe, and you pass a lot of watery/loose stools, rather than a small amount. The second time I passed a normal sized bowel movement, this past time it was barely anything.

I am honestly freaking out. I've been fine all day, and to be honest, during my second bowel movement I even felt hunger. I haven't had the sweats or anything while using the bathroom. I am just terrified of what the NEXT bowel movement will bring. I haven't had the intense cramps since before the second bowel movement, either. Isn't it typical for pretty constant cramping if you have a stomach virus or fp? My friend just had food poisoning (confirmed) and she said if it were fp or a sv (she's had both lately) that it would be explosive and a huge amount, and mostly "water". But, I know everyone is different. Also, doesn't vomiting typically come first (from research and from personal experience) and then diarrhea comes after?

Thanks for reading. So for writing so much. Just terrified. Even though I know my intestines act up sometimes.
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”-Oscar Wilde

Default Re: Weird bowel stuff. Help!

Doesn't sound like sv or fp to me. Gotta ask though, why take Zofran if you didnt feel n? Precaution? Not trying to be rude, just wondering!
    Also hope you're better now.

Because Zofran constipates you, and I wanted to stop the bowel movements. :P I haven't had another bowel movement since around 9:45pm, so I feel fine. I am also hungry. I'm too scared to eat, though! Will try and get my eating and stuff back on track soon.

Thanks!
    “Most people are other people. Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation.”-Oscar Wilde

I have ibs-c too and that same thing happens to me sometimes also. It's just your body flushing out I think. You might want to try some probiotics to help calm to intestines.

Thanks Natie. I've had some cramping off and on, and (sorry) passed gas that smelled awful. Some off and on gurgling. However, all of that could be anxiety. I have not used the bathroom since around 9:15pm (my earlier post was wrong, I checked some msgs where I was discussing it with my friend lol). So, over 6 hours. I am pretty sure if it were FP and a SV that I would either have had more diarrhea by now, or more symptoms. I waited too long (was hungry for a few hours) and therefore made myself feel even crappier. I have been able to drink (though not as much as usual bc of being fearful). However, enough to know that if I were sick with something, something else would have happened. It's officially been 12 hours since I first used the bathroom, and 9 hours since I had the mixture of hard and loose stools, and 6 hours since the last bowel movement, so I *know* that it's nothing to worry about. Though, I am still anxious about it (and too nervous to even sleep).

I just like consistency! Is that too much to ask for? :'(

Oh, I see. Makes sense, but you should try and save your Zofran til when you feel n, and instead get ahold of Imodium, for example. it stops d, so that should help?
    Jon Miazma Watsky forever <3

Nah, I don't need to save my Zofran. I have a prescription for my stomach issues. I had my gallbladder removed when I was 12 years old, which caused a plethora of GI issues (bile reflux, GERD, gastritis, IBS-C - which I am now starting to think is turning into IBS-Alternating, non-ulcer dyspepsia, slow digestion, irritation of pretty much my entire GI system, etc.) and thus have been prescribed Zofran since the tender young age of 13, after my second endoscopy! I receive 120 8mg dissolvable Zofran per month. I am also prescribed Prevacid 30mg 2x a day, Xanax .5mg 4x a day, Adderall 10mg 2x a day (which I rarely take, I have a history of disordered eating and it affects my appetite which screws with my mental state), andddd that's about it. So, I can use Zofran when I want. I don't really understand the focus of using something I am prescribed when I feel it necessary. Zofran has off-label uses for cramping AND diarrhea. Not a big deal. Immodium constipates you just as bad as Zofran does, if not worse.

Also, what I had wasn't typical diarrhea, which is why I came to this board for support. :P It was weird. Actually, now that yesterday is over and everything is back to normal, it wouldn't be classified as diarrhea - due to there only being two actual episodes of looser-than-normal bowel movements, typical diarrhea diagnosis is 3+.

Anywho, thanks all who responded.

I get the same if I don't eat well.... think of it like a drain with a clog. it opened and your body decided to flush itself out. hence the gas and looser poo. feel better!

Yeah, I know the feeling! Hope you are feeling better now dear!
    I agree with the others too.

You are so lucky you can get an anti v* med. Here in Australia (well, where I live at least) they don't like giving prescriptions, even if you actually need them. Or they give you a prescription and you use it quickly as you need it, then have to go back in for another prescription (probably to get the doctors more money I guess. It's crazy here!)
    Please visit my progress blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wanting to help others. Please spread the word!

"Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none."
    "To thine self be true, then it must follow, as the night the day, that thou canst not then be false to any man."
    "The empty vessel makes the loudest sound."
    - William Shakespeare

That is an insane amount of zofran! You should talk to cupcakex or search for her posts on here. She has to take drugs for the rest of her life because she took so much zofran she has permanent liver damage (and the doctor said it was from zofran). She is in her early 20s and it was prescribed for IBS.

As far as the digestive issues, the exact same thing happens to me if I've been constipated too long, and sometimes seemingly for no reason, so I wouldn't worry about it being fp or a sv. Stop trying to stop it with zofran and just let your body do its thing! it might be scary, but you'll feel better. For me it usually only happens 2-3 times. Once a lot, then a little. Always smells really bad! hahaha. I think if it was something more sinister, you'd know within an hour or two of the first incident....most likely much sooner. Those things tend to come on very quickly.

@4077girl - I was prescribed when I was 12. She must have had some underlying liver issues, because that's the way Zofran is metabolized - via your liver. It doesn't cause liver damage. In fact, that's not even on the symptoms list on any website. I don't know if this is in response to the other thread, but if it is, please don't start this on my thread that I created for support.

Anyway, thank you for your concern, but when I was having stomach pain in the upper quadrant last year year (which, confirmed by my seventh upper endoscopy since age 12, was just my GERD not under control) and they did liver panels, and my liver function is awesome!

I searched cupcakex, and could find nothing about her liver, but I wish her well.

Zofran doesn't cause long term liver damage, but it should be monitored closely with those who have liver issues (most people are not aware of decreased liver function until they are prescribed medication and it makes it worse).

But, yes, 15 years on it, and I am fine. Thank you again, though.

@TheLastANZAC - Sorry they do not prescribe anti-emetics in Australia! I have a friend that lives in Tasmania (smile) that I played WoW with, and he was on a few tough drugs for his acne and they gave him Zofran for a while to help offset some of the nausea, because apparently those antibiotics and other meds were rough on the stomach.

I appreciate all of the concern. My intestines have been screwed up since I got my gallbladder removed. It can go three ways with gallbladder removal, either 1) you're fine (unlikely lol), 2) you have IBS-D or 3) you have IBS-C or IBS-A (and a plethora of other issues!) I wish I never had issues with my gallbladder. I swear I probably wouldn't be emet if my gallbladder hadn't fucked up on me. But, apparently, even young kids get it. I was overweight for a few years and then dropped weight rapidly, and apparently that is one of the causes of gallstones in young kids. Within a few months of having my gallbladder removed, I was so very sick. I would sleep outside because I was so nauseated...which was quite embarrassing because I lived across the street from a police officer. She would check in on me almost every morning. I had to explain to her that I wasn't being neglected, I just felt incredibly sick and needed fresh air. Plus, when I would get nauseated, I would hypersalivate (as most do when they are extremely nauseated and/or about to v*) and needed to spit constantly. I had to go through all kinds of tests (I had to eat radioactive eggs! Lol) and I was very malnourished. I would literally sustain on watermelon juice and sips of flat coke through a straw (I would smash the straw down so I wouldn't get too much Coke in my mouth, or else I would gag and have to spit it out).

I had contrast (ew gross, disgusting) CT scans, ultrasounds, 28 IVs (for dehydration, and yeah, I remember every single stick lol) in 6 months, before they FINISHED diagnosing me. I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis, chronic irritation of my entire GI system (esophagus, stomach, intestines, etc.), sluggish digestion (my mom refused to put me on Reglan, apparently there is some kind of black box warning for Reglan), severe GERD, severe constipation (IBS-C), non-ulcer dyspepsia. I had an ulcer from age 14-16 that would not heal, no matter how many meds I took, but finally it healed up, and have had just non-ulcer dyspepsia since. I have several other diagnoses as well, so the list could seriously continue. I was just a sick kid and my illnesses never improved. My GI doctor gives me what makes my stomach issues manageable. I see my GI doctor once every 6 months. I hope I never have to have another endoscopy, though. I hate HATE HATE them. But, yeah, by the time I was 13 I was in a psych office trying to figure out why my hands would clench and go numb. Diagnosed with severe anxiety (who knew anxiety could cause hand clenching and numbness? It is apparently caused by breathing too fast), chronic depression, specific phobia, and a few other things I don't want to mention. My two years of being extremely ill caused my phobia. Some people cannot pinpoint what caused their phobia, but I can!

I spent a few years trying to prevent myself from even feeling sick because I just wanted to be a normal kid. That turned into never wanting to be sick again. I just hope my daughter doesn't develop ANY MORE stomach issues (she has had reflux since birth, it eased up until age 5, when she was then diagnosed with it again). Which is why I have her on a good diet, she takes vitamins, and I am about to wean her off of her Prevacid once we talk to her pediatrician for her next check-up. She has been on Prevacid for about a year, and her reflux has improved dramatically. I really feel that the Prevacid has decreased her acid production and has healed her tummy, but I want her pediatrician to make that determination.

As for me, for my stomach, I am prescribed Zofran (as mentioned above), Prevacid 30mg Solutabs (cannot swallow pills, have esophageal strictures and scar tissue, they widen my throat with every endoscopy..it's awful), and Miralax (1 capful every day, but sometimes I slack off). They have attempted to put me on several other medicines (like Reglan and IBS-C specific drugs), but I refuse them.

Sorry about the long post, but I hope y'all enjoyed my short life story. Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by DUHmanda View Post
    Nah, I don't need to save my Zofran. I have a prescription for my stomach issues. I had my gallbladder removed when I was 12 years old, which caused a plethora of GI issues (bile reflux, GERD, gastritis, IBS-C - which I am now starting to think is turning into IBS-Alternating, non-ulcer dyspepsia, slow digestion, irritation of pretty much my entire GI system, etc.) and thus have been prescribed Zofran since the tender young age of 13, after my second endoscopy! I receive 120 8mg dissolvable Zofran per month. I am also prescribed Prevacid 30mg 2x a day, Xanax .5mg 4x a day, Adderall 10mg 2x a day (which I rarely take, I have a history of disordered eating and it affects my appetite which screws with my mental state), andddd that's about it. So, I can use Zofran when I want. I don't really understand the focus of using something I am prescribed when I feel it necessary. Zofran has off-label uses for cramping AND diarrhea. Not a big deal. Immodium constipates you just as bad as Zofran does, if not worse.

Also, what I had wasn't typical diarrhea, which is why I came to this board for support. :P It was weird. Actually, now that yesterday is over and everything is back to normal, it wouldn't be classified as diarrhea - due to there only being two actual episodes of looser-than-normal bowel movements, typical diarrhea diagnosis is 3+.

Anywho, thanks all who responded.
    Just a bit of advice, if you are looking to stop the d* with your zofran, you might be overshooting by causing too much constipation and starting the cycle of "constipation, too much pressure, cramps, slight d* and mucus in stools, take zofran, constipate again". In a case like that, maybe you could try drinking some gastrolyte (prepared in the right proportions) as it can cause the intestines to calm down and absorb just enough water to stop the d*. You could talk to you doctor about that, to see if it's safe to do so with your current medication regimen. It's what I use when I get d* and it usually sorts things up within an hour or so, without blocking things up either.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    Just a bit of advice, if you are looking to stop the d* with your zofran, you might be overshooting by causing too much constipation and starting the cycle of "constipation, too much pressure, cramps, slight d* and mucus in stools, take zofran, constipate again". In a case like that, maybe you could try drinking some gastrolyte (prepared in the right proportions) as it can cause the intestines to calm down and absorb just enough water to stop the d*. You could talk to you doctor about that, to see if it's safe to do so with your current medication regimen. It's what I use when I get d* and it usually sorts things up within an hour or so, without blocking things up either.
    Off-label use. You can use it to stop d*, from my GI's mouth.

Also, did you see where I had issues with IBS-C prior to receiving a prescription for Zofran?

I have suffered with this since I was 12 years old. I wasn't asking for advice on my medications, was asking what it sounded like. I am not used to d* unless I am on my period.

I am assuming all of these weird comments about my Zofran is due to the other thread. If that's the case, don't post on my threads or msg me. I hate to be blunt, but I've already repeated this time and time again. I am prescribed Zofran, have been prior to emet, and I support all emets in obtaining a prescription for a completely safe, anti-emetic, if that is what they want to do.

And obviously, I have discussed d* with my DR, since I knew to use Zofran to combat it and cramps...

Signing off

-A