Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default freaky dreams, feeling sick

OK--I felt 100% fine when I went to bed and fell asleep pretty fast. About an hour later, I'm jolted out of sleep because I had this awful dream that I kept almost throwing up--and it felt so real, I felt myself gagging and (sorry, this is so gross, don't read on if you don't like reading graphic) I literally tasted a little puke in my throat, I'm freaking out....when I woke up and realized it was a dream I kept swallowing to make sure there wasn't actually anything in my throat, I think I feel OK but I don't know why that dream felt so real, I feel like something must have been happening to my physically for me to feel like that in a dream. I'm a little nauseous but I think it's just cause I'm grossed out and I also have a faint stomach ache but again, I sort of feel like that's in my head bc I'm grossed out from the dream. But I can't convince myself that it was only a dream and I'm afraid to go back to sleep--has this ever happened to anyone else?!?! Oh my god i'm scarred, that was so gross and scary

Default Re: freaky dreams, feeling sick

I have realistic v* dreams all the time. It's just a dream (or nightmare? ha ha!) You'll be fine.

This actually happened to me two weeks ago! Sent me into a full anxiety attack !! Ended up being totally fine. I just think when someone has a fear that's super strong and always somewhere hanging out in our mind, our dreams are going to mess with us.

It's been awhile, but I used to dream that I was surrounded by others who were v. Or that someone had v and I couldn't get away from it. I even once had a dream that it was everywhere...all over the floor and I couldn't get away. Sometimes I just think it's our fear manifesting itself in our dreams.

Could it be because you have some acid reflux? Did you eat not too long before going to bed? It could have caused the whole ordeal if you were actually having reflux while sleeping, causing the dreams. If I'm not careful and I eat junk food right before bed I wake up half choking with acid in my throat.

this happens to me literally once a week. I think it's a combo of anxiety, acid and sleep apnea. so annoying and terrifying to wake up gagging!! I'm so sorry. but usually it is a muscle spasm thing.