Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default I'm new and I need some help with anxiety

Hello everybody! I'm new... I found this website because I was googling some stuff about this.
    I've been emetophobic since I was 3 or 4 years old, I don't quite remember. I'm almost 16 now, and my life's a living hell. Well, I was hoping that you guys could help me if you wanted... I've been suffering with really bad anxiety since last year, it started because I was feeling n* and I had my first panic attack.. nothing happened, luckily!! But since then my anxiety is awful, I feel n* everyday, I always have to have a bottle or a glass of water near me just in case i feel n* again. It really sucks because I have to carry a bottle of water everywhere I go.
    Whenever I feel n* (I haven't v* in over 7 years) I have an anxiety attack, which makes things a lot worse. To calm myself down I have to take smalls sips of water and scratch my back or yawn (I don't really know why yawning helps me when I have n*, it's kinda weird haha).

Well I wrote that just to tell you a bit about me, I need help because in a few days I'm starting school and English classes (I'm from a spanish speaking country, sorry if I make a few mistakes) and I have social anxiety... and since last year my body kinda relates n* with feeling anxious, so whenever I have to meet people or speak to someone I don't know, I start feeling really n* WHICH IS GREAT BTW. If somebody knows how to calm a bit my anxiety please help me

Default Re: I'm new and I need some help with anxiety

Welcome! =)

What you're experiencing is what we all here have felt (or are feeling) at one time or another. It's awful and it totally does get in the way of living your life normally.

Firstly, keep in mind this: it isn't nausea that is causing your anxiety, it's the anxiety causing your nausea!

Some things that help me with day-to-day anxiety (as my anxiety applies to most things in my life including emetophobia) is medication. I don't know if that's an option for you with your parents and everything, but I am currently taking 100mg Zoloft and have .5mg of Klonopin when I have an attack, or the anxiety prevents me from sleeping. It sounds to me like you could benefit from that.

Obviously, there is therapy, but it's expensive and not always an option for people, either. If it is, you should go for it!

If that isn't an option for you, there are a lot of natural anxiety remedies. Deep breathing and relaxation techniques have been lifesavers for a lot of people. If having your water helps you, continue carrying it. Mints help a lot of people with both anxiety and nausea - I suck on them when I need to calm down in class. Exercise is a tried-and-true anxiety remedy, even as little as going for a walk and listening to music to clear your mind. Practice deep breathing, relaxation and exercise daily and you'll probably see a decrease in your general anxiety.

Hope I helped at least a little. =) Be more confident with yourself, too, if you're having trouble with social anxiety. Easier said than done, though, I understand.

Default Re: I'm new and I need some help with anxiety

Hey, thanks for replying
    I started going to a therapist last year but it didn't help me much because I didn't trust her... I'm thinking of going back, maybe she'll know if medication is good for me or not.
    I'm really scared about starting school, I'm starting English classes today, and I'm so scared I haven't eaten in 12 hours. You know, just in case :P
    I'm more worried about high school though, there are so many people and it's really crowded and I just can't, I want to be homeschooled but my mom doesn't understand what I feel and she just thinks that I'm overreacting (well I am, but I feel like shit inside so it doesn't matter what she thinks)