Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Unable to eat, any advice?

So I have a vacation for Spring Break planned for tomorrow and my phobia has been riddling me with sleeplessness and nausea. The nausea has made me unable to eat anything since putting anything in my mouth makes me feel so much worse. I am trying to sip Powerade since the anxiety has also caused, you know, d*. I am not sure what to do and the constant nausea is like a vicious cycle. I am forcing myself to go on the trip because I can't give up going to see my loved one and her family but does anyone have any advice on things I should attempt to eat or things I can do to help calm me down. I am new to this site and to getting support with my phobia. I would love to get any advice. I feel like I really need help with this, I want it gone. This had happened to me before and I was unable to eat for almost a month except for small things here and there. It took awhile for me to recover and I ended up losing a lot of weight. I don't want this to happen again and would love to try to avoid it if at all possible. Please feel free to shoot any advice my way. Thank you!

Default Re: Unable to eat, any advice?

honestly i know the feeling I lost a stone over christmas because every time I had an anxiety attack (which was a lot) I couldn't eat or felt I couldn't anyway, once you get on the road to going away on spring break though your anxiety will calm down because you'll be occupied by other exciting and more fun things and your loved one can look after you, the most important thing to remember though is that you aren't going to be sick and you should try to not worry because you're gonna have an amazing time and it's gonna be great let me know how you're feeling

I know that it is just the pre-vacation nerves but I can't shake the stomach ache and the feeling of either being full or not being hungry. I don't know if I should force myself to eat or not because no matter what I put in my mouth it is hard to swallow and later makes me feel worse. I just have that nauseous not hungry feeling. The weird part is that the hungry feeling never shows up when I get like this. No food sounds good and I never want to eat even though I KNOW I should. Nothing stimulates the feeling either. Just got back from a walk. About to take a multivitamin. I know I am not going to be sick, I never do. I tell myself not to worry and that things will be okay but the feeling just doesn't go away. It is very subconscious and hard to control. I feel like it is a vicious cycle. The fear causes nausea which then causes more fear. I honestly feel like this phobia is one of the worst a person could have, I would never wish this on anyone and I am sorry to all of those who are in the same boat as me. It is not a fun time, ever.

Yep! Summer holidays here in Australia have been ruined for me for that reason. Especially as I have nothing to occupy myself with and anxiety takes forefront in my mind. It's frustrating and terrifying. Sometimes I think my diet causes it, and most definitely doesn't help. I barely eat on the holidays. I've lost 8kgs (not sure what that is in pounds) but that's all through barely eating.
    Hopefully all of us can get over this debilitating fear.

What do you think I should do about the eating? Should I force myself to eat or wait until I "feel" hungry? I just am not sure what to do since nothing sounds good and I don't know if forcing is good or not. What can I get by on? How much do I NEED to eat? I just hope that it goes away even if a little while I am on my trip. I don't want to be incapacitated while I am out there. Is there anything you can recommend I try to help feel hungry and such? I tried cinnamon and walking but nothing seems to help. I am still going to attempt to eat something. Here's hoping. Thanks for the responses!

not eating will make you feel worse bc of acid build up. can you try a few bites of toast or a handful of dry cereal? just to line your stomach a bit? enjoy your vacation and try to focus on the fun you will have.

Thank you! I actually have been able to eat some small things here and there and it does help me feel a bit better. I try to do it without thinking which is helping a lot. I just hope I can keep it up.

I know the feeling but honestly you'll feel better for keeping going with eating small amounts regularly. I like plain bread, crackers or apples when I'm feeling crummy!

Hello everyone. I am here on my vacation and I again woke up with a horrendous stomach ache. I was able to take my multivitamin and eat a banana but I still feel really gross and I am not sure what to do. I feel like my stomach is craving good because it is growling. Or my stomach and lower intestines or something is gurgling and what not. What should I try? Is there anything I should attempt to eat. Plain bread sounds really gross. Actually everything does when I get like this. I could really use some advice. My brain takes over in these situations. It gets really hard to eat anything at all. It might be that I am here at my girlfriends sisters house alone because she had to work. Any advice on calming down enough in order to be able to eat more?

I am at a point where putting anything in my stomach at all upsets it. Even drinking water is hard for me. Is this really bad? What should I do? I could really use some advice. I am trying to lay down and rest but it is very hard.

Are you feeling any better? You could try to eat some soda crackers, that's what pregnant women eat to stave off morning sickness. It might do you some good. Just make sure to eat slowly, don't force it too much. Drinking water can make acidity-related nausea worse because you're just adding more liquid when your stomach wants food. Try to eat toast or crackers.

Yes. I am much better. I am always really bad in the mornings. I was able to eat 2 bananas and an apple. Which helped a lot. Walked/paced around a bit and did a bit of cleaning. I am much better now. Only a minor stomach ache but it is controllable. Thank you for your response. I think I just went into a bit of a panic. Thanks or that tip about the water. I will make sure to remember that. Sorry about freaking out. It just got really bad. I am alright now though.

straight fruit is not ideal though. add some starch!!

I'd keep crackers on hand for sure. When I feel like I can't eat, even the crackers I'll force myself to eat at least 2 to see how I feel. It'll either 1. Not make me feel better or 2. Stimulate a bit of an appetite. Like someone mentioned it's the stomach acid. Your stomach works harder when it has nothing to do. So you need a bit to soak up the acids. Hope you have a good time.

I'm wondering though, can your vitamins be the cause of the stomach ache in the morning? I find that if I take multivitamins on an empty stomach they make me feel ill, and it's even worse with vitamins that contain iron as it is quite irritating for the digestive system. Try to keep dried fruits and nuts with you as well, they'll provide more protein and energy than eating fresh fruits, if you're unable to eat large quantities of food it's probably better to get a source of food that is more calorie dense.

I am back from my trip and I did just fine! I wanted to post to thank all of you for your responses and support. It really did help me calm down and enjoy the trip. I was only really out of it for the first 2 days but then got comfortable and everything else went smoothly. I was able to eat, didn't have many stomach aches, and had a really amazing time. You were all right, everything was going to be okay once I got there. The flights were terrible, I had to stop 3 times both ways which means going up and down on the plane which can be quite disorienting especially when you have a headache like I did. But I was alright and I did just fine. I am really happy and proud that I was able to overcome my fear and everything. I really want to thank all of you who replied. Just getting to talk to others about it really helps. Thank you all!