Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: My Story,

I am so relieved to find this website. I've struggled with the fear to v* for about 20 years and I'm only 35! I haven't been sick for about 28 years so don't know why I'm afraid.

With me I am mortally afraid of the whole v* issue even though I know intellectually that it shouldn't be an issue.

Where it encroaches on my life is where I "won't" take any medication except for birth control, "won't" have any suggested medical tests, "won't" drink or hang out with people or date men who get drunk, "won't" travel outside of 30 minutes from my home and "won't" allow anyone in my home or car that may v*.

I went looking for information on this fear due to the fact my BF was v*ing the day before last and now he wants to come and spend the weekend with me and I know the weekend will be ruined with me worrying that he will v* again.

I am a very intelligent and caring person but when it comes to being sick and others being sick I become thisstupid and callousperson who would rather see them being sick on the street than anywhere near me.

Is there anyone here that feels the same way? How do you cope with loved ones when they are sick?

Thanks in Advance

Iknow exactly how you feel. I have been this way since a child, and it still takes over my life everyday. I dont drink or even associate around people that do drink...i dont leave the house much,and when i do Its not very far. I dont even go to resteraunts anymore.

When it comes to people I care about being sick, it is very hard to deal with. If someone even looks ill to me, I start to panic. I have to ask whats wrong. Do you feel like your going to V*.I try to avoid that person as much as possible. Its hard to cope with...I feel so rotten if someone in my family is sick...like I almost want them to go somewhere else until they feel better. But since that cant happen, I just try to keep things clean. I cant exactly give you any advice b.c. I only live with my boyfreind. And when he's sick he usually stays in bed. I dont know what its like to have kids or anything. Sorry I couldnt be much of any help. But I understand what you are going through, and so does everyone else on this site!
    *Mandi*

I know how you feel. Growing up one of my sisters would get sick A LOT and I avoided her like the plague everytime it happened. I wouldn't even be on the same floor of the house with her. We had to share a room (At our first house) and I don't even KNOW how I got through sharing a room with her when she was sick.

Yes I know what it's like to feel like you'd rather have someone be sick out on the street then around you. When we moved into our next house and my sister would get sick I would sleep in the basement...as far away from her as possible! I haven't been sick in 5 years *Knock on wood* and I hope it never happens again.

I totally feel what you mean! Welcome to the site!

~Monica
    David Duchovny I want you to love me
    To kiss and to hug me, debrief and debug me
    David Duchovny I know you could love me
    I\'m sweet and I\'m cuddly-I\'m gonna kill Scully!

Welcome[img]smileys/smilies_01.gif[/img]

It is an unfortunate phobia, but you are among so many that understand you and while that may not be much help, it has been for me. I have never had anyone to talk to and truly understand this thing and there are so many here. What a relief you will feel to know that you are so not alone in this thing.

I had no clue that it was even a thing that anyone had let alone have a name. My mom saw the Dr. Phil show many weeks ago, told me about it and I found this site. I could hardly believe it. I have since then felt better in general because I can realize that others feel the same way, others listen and answer questions and it is like therapy of peers. I hope you find the same peace at this site that I have. We may never get over this phobia, but at least we know that we are among friends here.

In just the couple of hours since I have joined this site I feel SO much better. Surprisingly enough it has even lightened the irritated feelings I've been having so much of lately.

People who have never had this problem don't understand how we all feel and it's so wonderful to know that I'm not the only one. Phobias have a way of getting into every aspect of a person's life and just knowing that you all are here and so understanding makes my soul feel a bit lighter.

I know I'm going to be happy in this community. I plan on telling my family and close friends about it too. They won't likely join or anything but maybe if they see that other people are like me they will develop some understanding.

My husband has always been tolerant of my phobia and helpful when our son is V*ing, but this site has shown him that I am not nuts and that other people experience the same things that I do. He still can't possibly understand what I feel, but he recognizes that it is an actual fear and not something that I make up daily when I tell him I feel sick or I have D* or I feel N*. He actually calms me down.

I wish that we were all together so that we could be there to helpone another, but I suppose this is the next best thing. What a great feel to know that so many people do understand and can relate to you.

I'm glad you found us and have comfort in knowing that we can all hopefully work through this together

Hi Soulcr!

Welcome to the site. I direct everyone to the Treatments thread, and ask they read the info at the top "sticky" topics. You can also print it out and give it to your doctor for a referral, or therapist or family members.

Where are you in Canada? I'm in the Vancouver area, and will see emetophobics at no cost for as long as they want. I'm also coming to Toronto October 16-22 and am willing to meet briefly with anyone from there on one of those days.

Again, welcome - I hope you get helpful info here.
    For more info about emetophobia and treatment:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    DISCLAIMER ~ Any advice I give on this forum is well-intentioned and given as to a peer or friend or for educational purposes. It does not in any way constitute psychotherapeutic or medical advice. Please discuss anything you may learn from my posts with your doctor and psychotherapist prior to making any decisions or changes or taking any actions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

sage, I live in Abbotsford, do you know of a treatment program nearby?
    JAMIE DAWN

Welcome!
    I found this site basically the same way you did. My husband (then boyfriend) had to go to the emergency room from v*ing all night and I didn't eat for like a week and lost a ton of weight and couldn't sleep. I was desparate and searched the internet. Finding this sight has been wonderful for me. I started medication for anxiety/depression and talk to a counselor semi-regularly in addition to coming here. All of the people on this site are so supportive and when you think you are just plain old crazy-they make you feel better. It's also nice to have people to talk to about non-emet issues too. SO I hope this site is as good for you as it has been for me.

Thanks Everyone [img]smileys/smilies_04.gif[/img]

Sage, unfortunately I live in the Ottawa Valley and am about 6 hours from Toronto. Also, the doctors up in this area aren't very up to date on phobias. Small rural areas tend to attract older more closed-minded doctors. Just knowing that I have somewhere to come to when I'm needing some support or want to help give support is the tonic I need.

Welcome and I promise that you will get such support here that you will feel better to some degree just knowing that you are not alone and that while it may seem like you are crazy, we all must be too.

Difficult to believe how many of us there are out there. I thought I was a freak and just told my mom and husband in all my 41 years, and suddenly found it had a name and it is real and I am not a freak. I thought that feeling sick daily and stressing over others possibly being s* around me was just something I had in my head and that it would eventually go away. Well, at 41, I can't remember not being this way and I just learned to live with it. I do eat, go places ( don't love to travel) and I have a son whom I adore. I take each day and it is a challenge some days, but I survive.

I have V*d only from Kidney Stones in the last 8 years and that was 2 times and prior to that I had only V*'d 4 times in my life, once from being drunk and 3 times from childhood whatevers. I haveno clue why I freak out over it, but I do and the truth is, people just don't V* all that much, but we are so aware of it that it seems everything is based on it.

Glad you are here and you will be glad you found this warm friendly bunch on this site

Welcome,

I know exactly how you feel. I am 37 years old and have had this phobia as long as I can remember. My first recollection was in preschool when a boy in my class v*** and I ran out of the room in response to it.it.

Emetophobia is something you just have learned to live with. There are not that many doctors who know how to treat emetophbia. From some of the stories I have heard, even the ones who claim to know how to treat it don't do such a great job.

This phobia comes with a boatload of rituals and we all have certain triggers that seem to bother us, but the one common thread thatalmost everyone can agree with is we worry most about stomach viruses (sv). Many of us really don't care that much if others around us v** from drunkedness, motion sickness, pregnancy sickness or eating something off. Its that possibility of catching the SV that is most worrisome to us.

The only thing I can say, and most others here will agree, is that hand washing and keeping your hands away from your face is the main protective method for staying well. If you find that certain behaviors invade your life negatively then you may wish to seek counseling for how best to modify your behaviors. If you hare happy with the guidelines you have set for yourself, then you are living a life that works within your boudaries.

Everyone has "something" that they have to adjust their lives around. This is just our "something." The good thing is that most of us are intelligent and sensitive people. If emet is the only thing I have to worry about, so be it. I am not trying to be evasive about our problem. Its big and I worry all the time. Its October and I have two children who are exposed every nanosecond of every day as they put their hands around their faces and in their mouths no matter what I say. I am hypersensitive to all the conversations with regards to sickness that roam around their schools and ask the most probing and absurd questions when someone mentions their child is sick.

To that end, I wish I could advise you. If I could, I would not be here and we would not be having this chat. You are not alone and can always come here to emote with fellow emets.

Stella

Very well put Stella and that is exactly the reason I am here and glad to have found all of you. You hit the nail on the head and you could not have said it better.