Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Can SV be transferred through sex and saliva?

Hello all!

I am a returning member-- I was a member back in 2006 or so. I stopped coming to this site because I felt like it was making me more paranoid and anxious about my emetophobia. I have decided to return in hopes that I can use this site as a tool and for some support, and not so much as an obsession.

So here is my question. My husband had a SV this past Friday, starting at 5am. He had v* and had diarrhea, body aches, etc. He v* only once but had watery stools until Saturday. The worst part of the virus lasted about 6 hours or so. He felt bad and queasy off and on this past Sunday but that was his only symptom. He has been back to normal since Sunday night and took the day off yesterday just to rest a bit more and returned today.

My question is, should I wait a while before having sex with him just in case he is still contagious? Even if the virus cannot be spread through semen, is it possible that he has some virus particles lurking "down there" in that area (regardless how clean)... the area which would be so close to my...well, rectum? I know it sounds silly, but it makes sense to me (of course a lot makes sense to use emets that doesn't really make sense to others).

Lastly, I have heard 2 different things in regards to transmitting the virus. I have heard that you CAN transmit it through saliva and I have heard you CANNOT. I am confused. I have been playing it safe and have not kissed my husband, drank/ate after him, etc. Any answers to that would be appreciated as well!

Thanks!

Default Re: Can SV be transferred through sex and saliva?

The virus is not typically shed through saliva, but if a person recently v* and they have viral particles in their mouth they may spread them through saliva.. though it would be because of leftover v* in saliva, not the saliva itself. As for transmission through sex, no, it won't be a problem. You have to ingest the virus, it does not travel upward to the small intestines by the reverse path. You might want to avoid oral for a while if you're worried, but just regular intercourse is fine.

It is only transferrable through saliva if he recently vomited and there are particles still in his mouth. And it's definitely not transferrable through sexual intercourse.

The only way it is spread is through vomit and stool particles! Gross, eh? lol. Since it's been so long, you're in the clear of catching it directly from him. No worries, hon.

I think you're safe. You're not planning to put your fingers down there I'm sure and even if you happened to you're not going to put them in your mouth! If you're really concerned, do it in the shower! Otherwise you could always ask him to get a shower before hand and get that area good and cleaned up! Really though, I think you are safe!

Oh and as for the saliva, I know with 100% certainty that it's NOT!!! I have 2 young boys and for the past 3 viruses they have eaten after each other or have shared and drink during the sickness and it's never gotten the other one ill. Of course this was never on purpose but I've always questioned the whole saliva thing too and remember thinking, 'well NOW I'll know!!!'. My husband has also have the virus for the past few years and admittedly I won't kiss him for the first 24 hours but after that I do. I've never caught it from him. Have fun!

Thank you all for your support and encouragement!

I am a bit nervous to let my protective barrier or "wall" down, as this evening, as I plan kiss (and who knows what else) my husband for the first time since last Thursday. My mind tells me I will be fine but another part tells me to stay away from him as long as possible. This phobia is so frustrating and irrational... yet it continues to ruin many aspects of my life.

Again... thank you all! I am going to try and stay optimistic!!