Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Question Antidepressants experience?

Hello! I'm 16 and have been trying to overcome by emetophobia for about 2 years now. I'm with CAMHS (child and adolescent mental health sevice) and they have prescribed me an antidepressant called Cipralex at 5mg, which has escitalopram. They are saying that the only way they can help is if I take them. They insist that I probably won't experience any n* or v*, but have also prescribed me anti-emetics (I haven't got them yet though so I dont know what they're called).
    I was just wondering weather anyone has had any experience with antidepressants, and if they had any side effects from it? I've been putting it off for a long time because I'm scared of the side effects because it says stuff like common side effects (1-10 people) are n* and v* etc etc... So yeah. If anyone does have any experience or advice or anything, please share!!
    Thanks!

Default Re: Antidepressants experience?

I was on citalopram for a while and had no start up side effects and certainly no nausea or vomiting although I was concerned about it. I did find after a while it gave me the shakes, crazy dreams and night sweats but apparently that's really uncommon!

The thing you have to remember is that they have to list pretty much any side effect that COULD happen. So if there's a medication and it's given to 1000 people, and 10 of them get sick or experience nausea, they have to list it. Try not to panic about it, you'll be absolutely fine. Even if you do feel a bit queasy (I took Lexapro and Effexor, and felt a bit spacey and dizzy on them), it's unlikely you'll vomit. I took a few days off work when I started any antidepressant because I knew that they can mess with you a bit, but really didn't need the time off, I could have worked. Congratulations on beginning your recovery journey by the way, that's a huge step I hope it all goes well for you!
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I take a medicine similar to Prozac and before that I took actual prozac... I had some n* at first but it was VERY mild and I wasn't sick with it. It gave me kooky dreams tho!!!
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

I have tried a lot of different anti depressants (four I think) and had different effects. Prozac made me crazy nauseous. Effexor made me super anxious. Lexapro just didn't work. Remeron was perfect. most people can't tolerate remeron bc you put on weight (but I was super skinny) and it makes you very sleepy at first (but I never sleep well)...it is a very personal thing. Like others said, they have to list eveything that has been reported and if even one person said they were mildly nauseous during clinical trials, it gets added to the damn novel that comes with the meds. Just in case. But, as they say, the benefit outweighs the risk and most side effects never happen and if they do, they are mild. My oversleepiness (somnolence is the medical term) with remeron wears off in a few days or so...I need to get back on it, actually...but that is another thread. give it a try and just have an open mind.

I take esclitopram (yikes spelled that wrong sorry) and its in the form of lexapro. I've been on it for over a year and a half and I never experienced any n* even slightly. The only issue I ever have is if I forget to take it one day or take it late, I get super bad headachey feeling similar to carsickness, but I always remember right away and it goes away literally in 10 mins and I'm fine.but as long as you take it on time and don't skip, you should be 100% fine(:

I should be starting camhs soon so any help or support I can give you I'll be here

I found CAHMS helpful but unfortunately I can no longer use them due to my age. I've tried 4 different anti depressants and did not find I felt any n* and they did not make me *v. As everyone here has said they have to list every possible side effect but try not to worry as it's unlikely and you're on the road to recovery now. I'm on beta blockers now as well for anxiety but I think it's too soon to say whether they are working or not. All the best in your recovery

Antidepressants are idiotic. If something makes you throw up, maybe it's not so good for you? They don't even work any better than placebos, they are just a way for doctors to make money. Instead of taking that toxic stuff:

One cause of depression is not getting enough vitamin D. If you don't go in the sun a lot, take Dr. Fuhrmans vitamin D supplements like I do.
    You also need to clean up your diet. Eating almonds and other foods with the protein to make serotonin. Getting enough sleep. There is this girl at my school who is depressed and takes it out by being mean to everyone. She only sleeps 3 hours a day, gets no sun, never exercises, and eats like shit.

Doing all these things is what helped my emetophobia fade away on its own. I understand that my beliefs are different from everyone else, and you will probably disown me because your doctor brainwashed you.
    Last edited by Oswald; 04-13-2014 at 12:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oswald View Post
    Antidepressants are idiotic. If something makes you throw up, maybe it's not so good for you? They don't even work any better than placebos, they are just a way for doctors to make money. Instead of taking that toxic stuff:

One cause of depression is not getting enough vitamin D. If you don't go in the sun a lot, take Dr. Fuhrmans vitamin D supplements like I do.
    You also need to clean up your diet. Eating almonds and other foods with the protein to make serotonin. Getting enough sleep. There is this girl at my school who is depressed and takes it out by being mean to everyone. She only sleeps 3 hours a day, gets no sun, never exercises, and eats like shit.

Doing all these things is what helped my emetophobia fade away on its own. I understand that my beliefs are different from everyone else, and you will probably disown me because your doctor brainwashed you.
    Um… so what do you say to someone who was really badly struggling with their anxiety and nothing was working, who was helped immensely by an antidepressant? Would you call that person an idiot?
    Come visit my history blog:

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Um… so what do you say to someone who was really badly struggling with their anxiety and nothing was working, who was helped immensely by an antidepressant? Would you call that person an idiot?
    That's what we call an exception

But if you're saying they're useless, there shouldn't be an exception. Maybe just be careful of what you're calling idiotic, I'll admit I was a bit hurt by that.