Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Woke up with vomit in throat

Hello... About 20 minutes ago I woke up with vomit rising in my throat. I swallowed but it burned... Wondering if it's the flu or acid reflux? I've never experienced or had a problem with heartburn before. I've felt fine the whole day/night. I am lying here now and do not feel too sick although the same vomit taste keeps rising (not actual vomit just a taste now). I spit into a trashcan and it was saliva with a little bit of vomit color. I'm lying here now and my stomach hurts, but I don't feel feverish. Would you suspect the flu or acid reflux? I did eat a lot today/yesterday. Could that be a cause? I've never suffered from heartburn before. I am extremely scared of throwing up. Any help would be appreciated.

Default Re: Woke up with vomit in throat

It isn't vomit. Just drink water and wash it down.
    To learn more about emetophobia, see
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Most likely acid reflux. I suffer from it all the time and altho it can make me FEEL like I have to vomit, I have not actually vomited from it ever. You said you ate a lot... It could be caused by that especially if it was spicy or greasy food. I get reflux a lot when I eat mexican which is spicy. Just drink some water or if you have an apple you can eat that. Apples are good for reflux. Or take a tums. Feel better
    Even if we're breaking down, we can find a way to break through
    Even if we can't find heaven, I'll walk through Hell with you
    Love, you're not alone, 'cause I'm gonna stand by you
    --- Rachel Platten "Stand By You" ♥

I've had that. it's reflux. feels gross but if you were going to v it would force it's way out. sip water and lay with a few pillows so you're propped at 45 degree angle. hugs. it's scary I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jkat9 View Post
    Hello... About 20 minutes ago I woke up with vomit rising in my throat. I swallowed but it burned... Wondering if it's the flu or acid reflux? I've never experienced or had a problem with heartburn before. I've felt fine the whole day/night. I am lying here now and do not feel too sick although the same vomit taste keeps rising (not actual vomit just a taste now). I spit into a trashcan and it was saliva with a little bit of vomit color. I'm lying here now and my stomach hurts, but I don't feel feverish. Would you suspect the flu or acid reflux? I did eat a lot today/yesterday. Could that be a cause? I've never suffered from heartburn before. I am extremely scared of throwing up. Any help would be appreciated.
    I am positive that is acid reflux. That same exact thing happens to me every once in a while. It used to freak me out until I learned it was acid reflux. I don't ever get a heartburn either. Acid reflux is not always a heartburn, sometimes acid reflux can just cause contents in your stomach to come back up, especially when you have been lying down for a while. It is best not to eat right before you go to bed. If you do eat, wait for about 2 hours before you go to bed.