Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Thread: Hair salon

Unhappy Hair salon

I just got back from getting my hair done, and the wheels in my mind have started turning full speed. I've got it in my head that there were germs on the smock or the cape or the sink that somehow bounced up into my mouth when getting my hair washed. And then before leaving, after touching the closet handle where my coat was and then the credit card key pad, I pushed my hair behind my ear and it fell forward again got into my mouth, sending me into full panic mode. I came home and immediately showered; rewashed my hair, neck, arms and face, which convinced me even further that I somehow got germs into my mouth. My brain has me convinced that I've contracted a SV and I just have to wait for it to hit.

All I can think is that some client before me came from home or daycare where they were surrounded by sick kids and wore that same smock and apron and got their germy hair washed in the same sink. Even typing this all out makes it seem so obviously illogical (or maybe not?) that it's embarrassing. Any advice or words of wisdom to help talk me in off this proverbial ledge would be so above and beyond appreciated.

Default Re: Hair salon

You have absolutely no reason to worry. For you to get germs in your mouth that way, someone would have had to get sick at the hair salon before you went. Also the part of your hair that you pushed aside probably wasn't the part that touched your mouth, if you're anything like me, I push the part of my hair that is close to the eye/ear level, and the bits that get into my mouth are much lower than the part I touched. So you should be fine on that front. And no, there is absolutely no way the viral particles, if there were any, got into your mouth from the smock. That would only possibly happen if there was v* on it and you shook it and it went up in a spray of powder/flakes. They do wash them, you know, so if one of them got soiled like that it would be washed before a client used it. And few people v* at the hair salon... I know we tend to assume the worst, most illogical scenarios. But rest assured that in this case, you will be just fine. Also if it's any comfort to you, I take public transportation almost daily and I often push my hair out of my face after touching dirty bus/subway poles and I have had it fly into my mouth later countless times.. and it hasn't made me sick.

the only thing I worry about at the salon is chemicals (ie dye) but not sv. just won't happen. you got zero to worry about.

no one with a sv would dare try to sit in a chair for an hour or more. doesn't happen.

I would put money on you being absolutely fine!!! There would have to be sooo many factors happening exactly right for that happen. Pretty much the only way that could happen is if you didn't wash your hands and stuck your fingers into your mouth. And even then you'd probably be just fine! Just remember all the millions of people who don't have nearly as goodie hygiene as us and they don't get sick!

They have to clean the smocks and the chairs your chances of catching it there are very slim

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO slim. Like less than 1% chance. Seriously, you are FINE! The ONE place I never worry is the salon. Everyone's hands who work there are in soap and water multiple times a day! They wash hair all day and after they work with dyes have to scrub them. Seriously the salon is a MUCH cleaner place than average. NOTHING to fear. 100% sure you are FINE!

Oh, P.S. One of my good friends works in a salon. They clean those smocks after each use. Not because of viruses but because of lice! That's why they pull out CLEAN ones from the drawer when you sit down. NO WAY NO HOW you are getting sick!