Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Freaking out a bit. :(

Hey all, I have a question, and I feel kinda silly asking...

I read somewhere recently that the longer you go without catching the stomach flu or stomach virus, the more likely you are to catch it again. Is this true?! That freaked me out since it has been so long since I have had it. Even the thought of vomiting gives me severe anxiety! I will start shaking uncontrollably and get nauseous from anxiety. At the same time though, I have read about people that have gone 30+ years without.

What do you think??

Default Re: Freaking out a bit. :(

not true. you can get it twice in a month or once every 20 years. like any other transmitted illness (cold, flu, strep). hand washing and hygeine limit likelihood.

I'm really not sure how that goes with SV, but I don't think that makes any sense. If you go years and years without getting it, which is unlike most people, you must either be lucky, know how to avoid it, or have some rsistance to it. At least that's the way I look at it. There are so many strains out there and each one is a little different. I think that some people resist one strain really well and might be highly susceptible to others. Only the non secretors are "immune" to all current versions of the virus, but that does not mean they will always be as RNA viruses are constantly mutating.

Yea, that's true. It still worries me because I think it always will... but I would hope that if I have gone all this time without it, then I clearly have a strong immune system.

Seems illogical, since Norovirus mutates about once every two to three years, which means no one (emets and non-emets alike) are immune. We just happen to be more conscientious about hygiene and prevention, which would mean we would be less apt to contract the sv*. That whole figure sounds like one of those scare stories to try and shock us out of being emetophobic. I don't know how reliable these statistics are, but I once read that the average person contracts a sv* three times per year. The average emetophobe v* (not always sv* related) about once every twelve. I haven't had Norovirus since I was 14. I'm 33 now.
    Last edited by mrsjacks; 04-01-2014 at 09:05 PM.

Thanks everyone... that helps, and I do agree with all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by mrsjacks View Post
    I haven't had Norovirus since I was 14. I'm 33 now.
    You are now who I want to be when I grow up! The last time I had it was just before New Years 2012 Before that, though, the last time I had it for sure (not a random v* spell) was Thanksgiving 2004, which is I think when I really became an emet.

But yeah, I definitely don't think this is true. I cannot even tell you the last time my dad had it. Not any time that I can remember. My grandma had it two weeks ago and said she doesn't think she's been sick like that since she was pregnant, which was 50+ years ago! And let me tell you, both of them were exposed to my v* a lot when I was a kid.

Also, the last two times I got it was when we were all together for the holidays. So, my dad was around, exposed, not a crazy hand-washer, and still did not catch it.

I haven't had a SV in about in about 20yrs, I'm 26 now but the last two years I've worried that my luck will run out.

Quote Originally Posted by NicManri View Post
    I haven't had a SV in about in about 20yrs, I'm 26 now but the last two years I've worried that my luck will run out.
    I worry about the same thing sometimes... I am also 26! My boyfriend is always reassuring me that it does not happen like that. He hasn't had the SV since he was just a kid as well. I wouldn't worry too much!!

I haven't v* from a sv in close to 17 years. And that's a conservative estimate. It might be closer to 20 years. I've read about people here who have avoided v* completely for over 50 years. It's not a question of time running out or reduced immunity, as immunity to any given sv* is only for a few months at best. And you're not "more likely to catch it if you haven't in a while", actually if you haven't caught it chances are that you're doing something right to avoid it, so your chances of getting it are slimmer than for those who regularly catch it.

Quote Originally Posted by AoD View Post
    I haven't v* from a sv in close to 17 years. And that's a conservative estimate. It might be closer to 20 years. I've read about people here who have avoided v* completely for over 50 years. It's not a question of time running out or reduced immunity, as immunity to any given sv* is only for a few months at best. And you're not "more likely to catch it if you haven't in a while", actually if you haven't caught it chances are that you're doing something right to avoid it, so your chances of getting it are slimmer than for those who regularly catch it.
    Your comment helps a lot... thank you. I have also read about people who have avoided it for 50 years or so... I strive to be like that! haha!