Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Does anyone else feel this way?

I stress day in and day out about catching a stomach virus... it recently got worse. If the fear of vomiting wasn't so bad then I wouldn't worry so much. but sometimes I even think, "well I am not sick today, but what if I am tomorrow? Or the next day? Or the day after that?" Am I the only one that stresses like that? I hate it... I would like to just live a normal life again. It seems to get worse at night, especially if I wake up in the middle of the night. We all wake up randomly in the middle of the night sometimes, but when I do, I immediately start worrying!

Default Re: Does anyone else feel this way?

You are DEFINITELY not the only one! I freak out about things that aren't even rational!

I just went to the grocery store, and an employee was cleaning up a spill with bleach and gloves. I looked in the aisle and saw a broken olive oil bottle with a pool of oil around it. Then the manager sprinkled corn starch over the spill so it wouldn't be slippery. He probably wore gloves so he wouldn't cut his hands on the broken glass.

Even though the rational part of my brain SAW the bottle and knew where the spill came from, my emet part of my brain thought, bleach+gloves+spill=someone got sick. I didn't even walk down that aisle, but I still had a minor freak out and finished my shopping as quickly as possible.

Oh you are most certainly not alone I agree with you and found myself agreeing all the way. Especially with the 'well if I'm not sick today what about tomorrow?!' I often say that especially when I've had a bad night and I've managed to avoid being sick I think 'well as soon as I relax it's going to get me.'
    I want to go back to when I was a kid and yes I was scared of throwing up I didn't take the measures I Dow. I still had a quality of life.
    im here to support you though so don't feel like you go through it alone. X x

That is how I live my life. Always in worry. Its terrible.
    If you try and tell me a phobia is unreal. I dare you to live a day, and feel what I have to feel.

- michelle

Check out my daily blog
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    for stories, poems, and all sorts of stuff related to my emetophobia.

I am SO glad I am not alone! I am trying so hard to just live my life day by day as normal as possible but I always worry about what could happen and I hate that!

Most days my mind is so focused on the immediate "dangers" of the present day I don't have time to think about what if I throw up a year from now, or next month. I have IBS-D, TMI here, so I get loose BMs about three times a week. Every time I wonder, "oh, gosh, is *this* the time it's not my IBS and it's actually a sv*?" If I sat down and reflected on the fact that, chances are, I will v* again at some point in my life, I'd probably never eat.

honey you literally just described me, I constantly wake in the night because I worry before I go to sleep and when I do wake up I feel sick and then I get a full blown panic attack, my mums away at the moment and I'm so scared that I'll be ill while she's away or that I'll catch something and she won't be here to look after me but if you ever need someone to talk to just let me know

Thanks everyone for the responses! It's nice to know that I'm not alone in this. However, I don't really have the fear that I won't have someone to help take care of me, I just have the fear of vomiting... I think it's the feeling of it. That's what scares me!

Classy_T88 you described exactly how I feel every single day. If I feel well Im just waiting for some sv to hit or even some other cause. If I feel a bit off I start to believe this is it Im gonna get sick, and if as I do right at this moment feel incredibly yucky & strange then Im convinced Im moments away from the dreaded deed. I havent been on this site for a couple of months so outwardly I give the impression that Im fine. Unfortunately inside Im a bag of nerves. Irrational maybe but this is my life & yes I hate it.