Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Lightbulb I can't go through this again.

Hi everyone! :)

I hope you all are doing well and feeling great! Unfortunately, I can't say I'm feeling the same. I've had an amazing two months, it was like anxiety and emet didn't even exist and I've enjoyed every moment of it. I finally felt like myself again and it was indescribable to be able to enjoy all the good things in life without having fear and worry in the back of my mind. But the past few weeks, I've noticed some general anxiety starting to come back and today especially, I'm feeling the effects of emet again. It always starts out the same, anxiety about nothing, thoughts flooding in about past emet episodes that were particularly bad, decreased desire to eat (the stage I'm in now), uncontrollable "what if" worries, and finally, the full-blown panic. I don't know what to do anymore, every time I think I have it under control, it always sneaks back up on me. All that I do know, is that I can't go through this awful cycle anymore. I have to take control of this before it takes control of me. So I need advice, anything that has worked for you or even hasn't, I just need something to try because what I've been doing obviously isn't working anymore. I'm particularly wondering about medication. I've been prescribed Xanax in the past, but I'm so afraid to get the prescription filled because of its addictive qualities. Plus, I kind of feel like I might need something more long term. I've done therapy in the past too, but I feel like I didn't learn any coping mechanisms that help me during these times so if you guys know of any, pleaseee let me know. Also, has anyone tried support groups? A new anxiety support group is starting this week in my town and I'm wondering if that would be something beneficial to try out. Sorry this is so long, but I'm fed up with this phobia and I just wanted to put it all out there! Thanks in advance for any information! :)

Default Re: I can't go through this again.

Aw, I'm so so sorry you're not doing so well It's normal for anxiety to ebb and wane, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's almost nonexistent. I had periods of the same.

What worked for me ultimately was a combination of medication and therapy. I started on Lexapro and undertaking counselling. Neither of these worked particularly well (for me, everyone is different), however, I didn't stick with them, so they might have worked if I stayed longer. I hated the way that Lexapro made me feel, but drugs work differently for everyone. I know other people who swear by that drug.

So after I finished Lexapro, I began taking Effexor. I loved it. It helped me immensely! I also started CBT at that time, and that's how I ended up recovering. It took me a lot of time and effort and I worked really hard, but I got there.

What didn't work for me… I tried Hypnotherapy, and it was amazing, and it worked for about 3 or 4 days after a session, but after that time had passed, the anxiety would be just as bad as before. It would have been great if I could have afforded $200 every few days, but I couldn't, unfortunately.

I hope that this helps. If you need any more advice, or have any questions, feel free to ask them, I'll answer anything
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I totally understand I go through the same thing. What I have found that works is counseling, some anti-anxiety meds, and support either with family or friends. Most people don't understand it but I have found that if I sit them down when I am calm, and explain to them the best I can, I have found that I have gotten support. It takes time to find to see which meds work best for you so don't worry if one med doesn't work the first time. It is trial an error. Know though you are not alone we are ALL here for you, for moral support
    psalm 139
    we are fearfully and wonderfully made

I know what you are going through! My anxiety does that too. I will be fine for a while, but then it comes back. Then it goes away for a while, then it comes back again. It seems like every time it comes back, it gets worse too. I have yet to get help for it, and I know I should! But you should really seek some therapy, they can give you the best advice on what to do. Or go to a psychiatrist, so they can prescribe you something. I definitely think it's a good idea for you to join a support group! It's therapeutic to discuss your issues with others that have the same problems!

Quote Originally Posted by KaydeeJayde View Post
    Aw, I'm so so sorry you're not doing so well It's normal for anxiety to ebb and wane, sometimes it's bad, sometimes it's almost nonexistent. I had periods of the same.

What worked for me ultimately was a combination of medication and therapy. I started on Lexapro and undertaking counselling. Neither of these worked particularly well (for me, everyone is different), however, I didn't stick with them, so they might have worked if I stayed longer. I hated the way that Lexapro made me feel, but drugs work differently for everyone. I know other people who swear by that drug.

So after I finished Lexapro, I began taking Effexor. I loved it. It helped me immensely! I also started CBT at that time, and that's how I ended up recovering. It took me a lot of time and effort and I worked really hard, but I got there.

What didn't work for me… I tried Hypnotherapy, and it was amazing, and it worked for about 3 or 4 days after a session, but after that time had passed, the anxiety would be just as bad as before. It would have been great if I could have afforded $200 every few days, but I couldn't, unfortunately.

I hope that this helps. If you need any more advice, or have any questions, feel free to ask them, I'll answer anything
    Thank you so, so much for your advice and congratulations on your recovery! That's amazing and a huge accomplishment! I would love to hear your story!

Thank you so much everyone for your responses! Knowing that I'm not alone helps me more than anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Ashleyyy View Post
    Thank you so, so much for your advice and congratulations on your recovery! That's amazing and a huge accomplishment! I would love to hear your story!
    I think I'm going to make a thread about my progress and stuff, so keep an eye out. I want people to know that it is possible to be at rock bottom and get through emet!
    Come visit my history blog:

So far, starting on medication has been the best thing for me. I'm currently on 100mg of Zoloft, and when prescribed it, I completely assumed it wouldn't work. I'm now so much better than I was a mere few months ago! Huge difference. I plan on starting therapy once my semester at college wraps up. I'm very excited for it.

I hope you find a solution that works for you too in at least managing the anxiety, we've all been there too. <3