Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Surgery anxiety and panic!

Hi everyone! Ok so I'm scheduled for a Hysterectomy April 11th and boy am I freaked out. I did what I shouldn't have and I researched 'what to expect' and damn near every single thing I read had to do with n* and v* etc. I'm not even concerned with the pain, I just don't want the n*! I guess they use some kind of gas to inflate your belly and it makes it 10x worse which freaked me out even more. I know I have to have this surgery, but I can't seem to calm down my anxiety. Everyone just says 'ask for n* meds and you'll be fine. Ugh! Any suggestions?

Default Re: Surgery anxiety and panic!

I had a total hysterectomy last year..... Let me tell you what I did.... First off no gas anesthesia only IV... Second NO narcotics.... They can give u a quick acting one during surgery that is gone by the time you wake up.... Third an anti emetic cocktail of zofran reglan pm and phenergan.... You can get a patch for behind your ear but I chose not to... Unfortunately the gas they fill you with is uncomfortable but get up right away and walk ALOT!!!!! I was slightly n* for a few days but never v*. The more u get up and about the quicker the gas gets out of your tummy..... I ate light for a week after.... Hope this helped and I can honestly say it was the best decision I ever made.... Oh and ask for Ativan too.... I had a dose before and one after.... It will keep u calm and you will sleep all day!!!!

If you tell the doctors and nurses that you deal with about your emetophobia, and explain it to them, they should be able to help you out with some meds to help out, whether it be anti-anxiety meds (ativan) or anti emetics. Usually I'm all for facing fears and everything, but after a surgery like that, it's just really not the time, so make sure that people know where you're coming from and that you're worried, make sure they keep you informed and if they haven't given you any meds for nausea or vomiting, ask them to. They should know the best ones for post surgery HOpe it all goes well. My mum had a hysterectomy in 1996 when the whole process wasn't quite so refined, and she was absolutely fine, no nausea, no vomiting, nothing.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Thanks guys so much! Any of my friends that have had the surgery couldn't tell the name of any meds (guess they don't pay as much attention as we do!) so I couldn't thank you more for all the info and support! <3
    Don’t let your mind bully your body...

I also think you'd be fine to leave the meds side of things to the professionals. As long as you tell them you'll need something to stop you from being sick post-op, they should comply and know exactly what to give you Good luck, I hope it all goes well for you!
    Come visit my history blog:

I had two major ankle surgeries within the past three years and I was absolutely beyond terrified of waking up in recovery and being sick. I expressed this to all of my nurses and surgeons ahead of time, and let me tell you, our fear is more common than you think! They were totally calm about it, and reassured me that they would pump me full of all sorts of anti-emetics and even gave me the patch behind my ear just in case.

After my first surgery, I woke up and did have a quite severe panic attack, but never v*. I don't even know if it was possible for me to be sick at that point with all of the meds they put me on! Regardless, it was miserable, but I was not ill.

The second surgery, I woke up and again began having panic attacks, but this time a nurse gave me a small dose of Ativan. Let me tell you, that was amazing. Not only did my panic attacks end almost instantly, but I wasn't worried about being sick in the least. I was floating on cloud nine, happy as anything!

Just communicate your fear to your nurses in pre-op and post-op if needed, but try your best not to worry too much! I will be thinking about you, and I hope everything goes well! Hang in there, you are so strong and you can get through this!!