Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Angry Does anyone else get mad about this?

when they say they have noro, does it make you want to say DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE IDIOT! !! last month my office crew came down with it, it was scary because there is only 6 of us. Every third day, someone else was calling out with it. Don't get me wrong i panicked but i was the only one who didn't get sick...they were like HEY WHY DIDN'T YOU GET SICK!? And I'm like, BECAUSE Y'ALL ARE NASTY! !! Seriously people wash your hands PROPERLY and DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!!! Its not airborn, You're eating SHIT particles nasty asses because SOMEONE has POOR HYGIENE! ! ugh just pisses me off

Default Re: Does anyone else get mad about this?

I get upset about it too! Its easy to be clean and NOT spread it but most people ( who are not emets ) dont give a shit about what they touch or how they wash.. Its super frustrating! My daughter and I were exposed last saturday at a Birthday party, she came down with it tuesday morning..We are 4 here and the rest of us have managed to not catch it (so far) fingers crossed.. Point is, if you keep clean, dont touch your face and use bleach, it is possible to not catch it!

Another problem is the misinformation out there. A lot of people use regular cleaning supplies and assume that kills the virus. Then when they get infected, they assume that it's either airborne or impossible to avoid.

On another note, that's great news that you were surrounded by sick co-workers and made it through unscathed. How did you keep your anxiety under control during that time?

LOL! The "Y'ALL ARE NASTY" part made me laugh. And yeah it's aggravating. There's superbugs out there now because people want a quick fix over the littlest thing, when all you needed was basic elementary precaution.

oh my God my anxiety went through the roof for about two solid weeksI must say I was a basket case but somehow I managed to get through it lots of breathing lots of exercisingand lots and lots of praying lolit was definitely a rough two weeks though

Look, I've seen how people at my church handle food at our fellowships and I can assure you, people are nasty! I've seen people use the loo and not wash their hands then prepare food. Drop a knife on the dirty floor then immediately cut a slice of cake with it. Biting their fingernails, etc. YUCK!

When people go to school/work openly admitting they are sick with some type of stomach flu, I get so frustrated I could cry. Especially because they often PROUDLY admit that they've managed to go about their lives while sick; it is so SELFISH. Sometimes, it is unavoidable, but I am not shy about telling them to stay the eff away from me, and I use a lot of hand sanitizer. My mom has a compromised immune system and has taught me a lot about how to avoid getting sick, even in those situations. All her advice comes directly from doctors specializing in immunity which helps. I'll share some:

1. wash you hands, wash you hands, wash your hands. Disease is almost never spread through the air, which brings me to...
    2. Avoid touching you face, eyes, mouth, nose or any other mucous membrane.You probably don't notice how often you touch your face daily (this is particularly difficult for me because I have mild dermatillomania meaning I have a terrible habit of picking at my lips.)
    3. Clean your cell phone with alcohol pads.You cell phone touches everything you touch, and then it touches your face, but rarely do people think to sanitize it
    4. Bring hand sanitizer with you everywhere and use it after touching questionable surfaces. This is more for peace of mind, if you follow everything else, it shouldn't be necessary. But it is better to be safe than sorry!

Remember, these are tips given to a woman (my mom) with an autoimmune disease who could essentially suffer organ damage from a cold. Even though v* is the worst case scenario for us, don't feel anxious about not following these steps. They're simply precautions for when you have to be around sick people. I hope this helps your peace of mind, it always helps me to feel like I'm being proactive.

I never sanitize my phone... :/ Probably should start doing that...

Quote Originally Posted by Goingmonkeys View Post

Don't stress about it. The more things you add to you 'regiment' the more things have to start 'relearning' to stop! Yes, your phone touches your hands and you should clean it now and then but DON'T go overboard assuming that it's crawling with stuff. My coworkers used to make fun of me for wiping down my phone and then putting it onto a folded up napkin away from everyone.

Now, hubby wipes down his phone about once a week with a paper towel sprayed with cleanser. That's normal.

Hahahahah! This is so funny. If proper hygiene was met with most individuals, the case numbers for infected would drop quite dramatically.
    I will say that this post can make others who were once sick feel bad about themselves. I was told this in the past too... just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Goingmonkeys View Post
    I only wipe it down with lysol if there have been actively sick people around and I touched my phone in that "contaminated" environment. Otherwise I don't bother. I do wash my hands after using it, though.

I don't clean my phone often however I wash my hands after using it. I also hate we people brag about going out while having a stomach bug. It's 24 hrs stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by hlov2 View Post
    And I'm like, BECAUSE Y'ALL ARE NASTY! !! Seriously people wash your hands PROPERLY and DON'T TOUCH YOUR FACE!!! Its not airborn, You're eating SHIT particles nasty asses because SOMEONE has POOR HYGIENE! ! ugh just pisses me off
    This post is funny AND gets the point across. So true! :-)
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Quote Originally Posted by SoVerySorry View Post
    I will say that this post can make others who were once sick feel bad about themselves. I was told this in the past too... just a heads up.
    I agree. I think that some people will feel bad about this post, it's a bit insensitive.

On the other hand, I've been sick before, but this doesn't make me feel bad, because I've accepted that illness is a part of life. A shit part, yes, but a normal part of life. I understand people with immunity issues being so pissed off about people getting sick, but anyone else, illness happens, and it's pretty much always going to happen. It's not up to other people to change how they do things, it's up to us to find coping strategies to deal with it WHEN it does happen.
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm probably one of very few emetophobics that tends not to get mad when others get sick. While I understand that practicing good hygiene gives you pretty good protection from norovirus, I have never encountered someone who caught it and gotten angry about it. My boyfriend, for example, doesn't always wash his hands immediately after coming home from class, and I tend to view that with a feeling of jealousy rather than contempt - "I wish I could come home from *anywhere* and not feel the compulsive need to wash my hands like I was able to last year!"

I only get mad (and not even that mad, really) when people are sick and don't care about passing it on to someone else, no matter what the illness. My cousin showed up to our Thanksgiving with an *active* case of norovirus and hung around the food, played with the babies, etc, all the while leaving every so often to be sick and didn't wash her hands. I just think it's common courtesy to stay home if you're so sick, be it noro, the flu or a very bad cold. But, I'm comfortable enough with my own hygiene regimen that I don't really worry about others around me. If *I* am keeping as clean as I can, then that's the best I can do.

I may be wrong but I got the feeling that the OP was a funny vent meant more to let off a lot of steam (contents of a highly stressed brain) in a harmless way. Please, Hlov2, correct me if I'm wrong! . :-)
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

lol definitely meant to let off steam

Just wanted to point out though that it's not always people who are "nasty" and don't wash their hands who catch it. There are cases from food being contaminated, and when I and my family got it when I was a kid, we were out in a hotel (with kitchen and everything, like we did every year) and the previous family renting it had been sick there. We always wash hands when coming home, but everything in the suite (bathroom, faucets, utenstils, dishes, door knobs, tv remote, you name it...) was contaminated so even our good hygiene couldn't save us. The cleaning ladies had clearly not disinfected properly and/or the previous renters didn't tell the owners or something.. either way, just to say that it can happen to people who are careful. I don't mean to scare anyone either, this is a very rare event when renting hotel rooms/suites with kitchenette. It only happened to us once, and we travel quite a bit in our family.

I wouldn't worry about it too much! That is a suggestion to be taken when you're in a situation where you have to be around sick people. Also, please keep in mind, my mom is immunosuppressed, meaning she has basically no immune system. Don't get anxious about this stuff
    I never sanitize my phone (much to my mother's dismay) and I have not had any kind of stomach virus since I was 10 (I'm 22 now). Just try to keep calm, my favorite remedy for an upset stomach is still ginger tea, calms my anxiety down right away.

I hate when people bring their kids to school saying they've been sick. Or turn up somewhere saying they've been sick! They should be locked away in quarantine for a week just in case! I always tell them to make sure they keep away from me and my family!!! It puts me on edge for days!!!