Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default New user, not sure if I belong here

My name is Sarah and my whole life I've been terrified of seeing people get sick. I used to be terrified of myself getting sick but after being pregnant with my daughter and being sick every single day for 4 months straight I've gotten less scared about it but before that I hadn't gotten sick in years and could literally force myself not to. I clicked on several posts and it seems like everyone is just nervous about it happening to them while I'm on the other hand terrified about seeing it in person myself. I can see it on the ground and stuff like that it's just the actual act of it happening while its happening that makes me freak out. Most people don't understand it and just assume I think it's gross and that's why I freak out but it's not that I think it's gross, it genuinely scares me to death. If it happens around me I panic, shake, try to get away, and even cry. I don't know why and I can't explain it at all. I really wish I wasn't this way because it has really held me back. I want to be an RN but I know I can't be one and even if I was every nurse would think I was insane. On wiki it says emetophibia can be the fear of watching the action, which is how I am. Is there anyone that is the same way? And is there a treatment for this??

Default Re: New user, not sure if I belong here

I'd say the forum breaks 80/20 in terms of people who are afraid of themselves/others versus seeing others do it only, but both are legitimately emetophobia. You belong here if you like the community and the support helps you.

Yeah it can give you a sense of anxiety to watch someone v* and i relate to that.

I'm like you, Sarah I'm not afraid of myself doing it (though I don't like it, I don't panic, and I don't stop living my life just to stop myself from being sick) but when I was emetophobic, I was afraid of other people doing it. It's just as valid as a phobia as anyone else's emetophobia, and people will try to tell you that you have it better, but it can be just as horrible as being afraid of yourself.

I beat emetophobia by going into therapy. I did CBT, which is Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, it aims to change the way you think, and the way you naturally react to situations that make you anxious. I took medication for a while, but managed to get off those, because I hated them.

One last thing, if you want to be an RN, you CAN be an RN, don't let this silly phobia dictate what you do and don't do
    Come visit my history blog:
    To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I fear others too. Welcome. There are more here like us too.

Kick emets a....

I treat emetophobia and see people get well. If you are near San Diego I am running a CBT research study - no cost to participants. Go to Vphobia.com for info.

Emetophobia can be afraid of others strictly... themselves strictly... half and half... many forms.
    Original Register Date w/Old Account: 27 December 2012.

Yes, I've heard of emetophobics being scared of seeing other people be sick but not necessarily be afraid of being sick themselves.

Well I can totally relate because although im deathly afraid of getting sick myself, I also cannot handle seeing someone else get sick either! I freak out so bad I try and get away as fast as I can! Itry to avoid situations where I think people will get sick such as parties where there will be alcohol or amusement parks! Ughh ive missed out on so much because of this fear!