Welcome to the International Emetophobia Society | The Web's Largest Meeting Place for People With Emetophobia.

Default Parents - need help

My daughter has a nasty bug. Freaking out here - just wondering how many parents have got their little ones bugs before? She is 2.

Default Re: Parents - need help

Hi..My daughter is 16 months old and she is just getting over something nasty! She v* 4 times and then had d* for 3 days after that! Were a family of 4.. today is 7 days since all has started and we still yet havent caught what she had! I know how hard it is, if she is v*ing just make sure to wash everything she did on with bleach and wash your hands before eating and touching your face! I dont feel safe yet, but getting there.. Stay strong xoxo

I have a 9 and a 4 year old. I've NEVER caught their sv*s. You are going to be ok! I know it's our initial reaction to freak out BUT remember that this is every day common stuff. THE VAST MAJORITY of people don't catch these bugs from their kids and THE VAST MAJORITY aren't scared thus not making them overly cautious. Spray down the area where she's v*ing with a bleach/water mix or Lysol, scrub your hands with soap & water and use paper towels for drying. For the next week or so just be EXTRA cautious with diaper changes. Consider giving her a warm bath to make sure she's squeaky clean at night. Be sure to scrub your hands and dispose properly of her diapers between now & next Monday. You'll be great!

I have a 13 year old, 10 year old and 2 year old. I have only caught a sv from them once. That was when my oldest was very little and I didn't know anything about how to clean up after noro (I probably used things that didn't kill it). I didn't v that time. Just stomach cramps and low grade fever. We did all catch the sydney strain last year, but I was the first to get it and hubby went down a few hours later. The kids all got it 36 hours later, but we were staying in a hotel room.

So, first remember it may not be something you can catch. If it's rota (which is VERY common at age 2), you won't get it.

Second, you probably clean so well and wash your hands often. That's going to help you as well. For diaper changes, I bought some disposable gloves. They sell them in most drug stores and some grocery stores in the first aid section. My son had rota last year and they came in really handy.

Let me ask you....does she have d? If so, how long has she had it?

Thank you so much Mommas for answering! It is nice to have someone else to talk to about my fears.

This all started last Thursday when my 2 year complained of a tummy ache. Had D* around noon, then was fine, then V* around 6pm. Then was fine, until 1am when she started gagging, which lasted all night. We were sent to the ER on Friday for dehydration - she had 3 bags of fluids. Was fine Friday, Saturday and Sunday. Then woke up this morning and V* again! I thought I was going to die of anxiety.

So far, she has been doing ok today - holding down fluids and dry toast. Just don't understand what's going on.....I am really hoping my oldest daughter (5) had it first - she went through this thing last week where she was really tired and didn't eat much for like 5 days. Hoping it is just the same thing, just hitting them different.

And yes, I have been cleaning everything like crazy - lysol, washing everything, etc.

Ive four children (14, 13, 9 and 5) and have never caught anything. They have got V on my face a couple of times too! Try to relax, the chance that this is Rota and you won't catch it is really high. Xx
    Some people are so poor, all they have is money.

Facebook Donna Mutch

Thank you everyone who responded. It really does help. Hopefully we are on the up swing now and no one else gets it.

Hi, Becky! Glad to hear that is seems like things are calming down in your house. I hope nobody throws something at me, but my son is almost 12 and never had a sv* that I know of. When he was really little, he used to v* when he'd get a cold and swallow his post-nasal drip and refuse to eat, because of a sore throat. So I can't really say my son has had a bug and I didn't catch it. I can say that I'm the eldest of three children and we all caught sv* at school and my mother never caught a single one. She mostly caught our colds and once she caught strep from my sister, but that's it. My sister was a very sickly child and that's when she really learned about keeping things clean and sterile and how to safely clean up v* and things of that sort.

Thanks MrsJacks for the reply - on a similar topic, Momma's - how many times a year do your kids get a s*v? Is there anything you do to help prevent them besides good hand washing, cleaning, etc.....I give my girls probiotics daily to help prevent them.

On average once a year. My oldest who is 9 didn't get one this year, so the last he had one was last March. The 4 year old caught one in January (it was just a one v* bug) but was old enough to hit the toilet. Remember that the older they are the less you have to worry. The catch them less often and are able to handle them more independently. As far as preventing them from catching that stuff, washing hands is key but you'll loose your mind trying to stop it (I know, I try!) and kids will be kids so most kids get this stuff every now and then. 2 year olds are the hardest (IMO) with bugs. They are so pathetic when they have them, which just rips your heart out, and you never know when it's coming. Seriously, it gets easier. My 9 year old tells me when he feels like that and goes into the bathroom with a book. Not because he know of my phobia (I am able to hang out with them when they are sick), but because he can handle it. It's great! You'll get there!

I have caught each sv my girls have had, BUT I have never v from any of them. I honestly don't know why I get them - I follow all the rules of cleaning religiously, and most of the time I'm not even the one looking after the sick child, my husband is!
    Anyway, it DOES get easier as they get older. My 5 year old (she hasn't had it yet this year, knock on wood!) was pretty awesome about it last year when she had it (two times, poor kiddo) in Feb and May. My husband or I sat with her and just held the bucket, she didn't have one accident or miss. Our 3 yr old is a different story....she really freaks out. She tries to swallow it, tries to hold it, it's really sad. I have never had to deal with her when she's been sick as my husband has thankfully always been home, because I think it would just totally break my heart to see her like that. We have an almost 11 month old who THANKFULLY has never had it, since my oldest hasn't brought it home from school yet this year.....I am so thankful for that, there is nothing worse than a sick baby!
    Anyway - sv's do get less frequent as kids get older. I know I had one when I was 11, and then not again until I was 27!

Hi, my daughter always had d and v when she was getting teeth..... Maybe it could be that

I have caught them twice from my 9 year old. The first time we caught it the same night, which is rare for noro, but it spread to my father 24 hours later, than his girlfriend 24 hours after that, and then on to her children 24 hours after that. Then I think I only caught it one other time. I would remember I would assume, if I had caught it more than once. Since I can remember in depth every single time I have vomited in my life. And the only reason I caught that one is she was in my bed and threw up all over my pillow/face. That was the last time she slept with me in my bed hahahaha.